***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Not sure if it was a tornado or just high winds but my little hometown in Western Iowa has a bunch of large trees down blocking streets, powerlines down, HS softball field had a bunch of damage.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Still don't understand why we didn't get audible alerts on our phone for the Story County tornado warning. The alert came through because we had to dismiss them, but no sound. Talking with folks in the office this morning and it looks to be split pretty close to 50/50 whether the alert was audible or not. We would have slept right through it had I not waken up at 4:30 and happened to check the radar right before the warning came out.
I was startled awake this morning to my phone blaring the warning. After I practiced my Kung fu to get it turned off I realized we weren't even in the warning. It sure got the blood pumping though.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I was just saying that this reminds me of the 93 floods. Seems like serious rain every 1-2 days.
I remember a continuous loop of rain-evaporate in the heat-rain for nearly the entire month of July 1993. Des Moines had no water for quite a few days. I met my husband right after those floods, and heard many horror stories from him.

• Agree
Reactions: twojman

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I remember a continuous loop of rain-evaporate in the heat-rain for nearly the entire month of July 1993. Des Moines had no water for quite a few days. I met my husband right after those floods, and heard many horror stories from him.
I was one of 3 on staff Civil Engineers directing flood fighting efforts at a Military base located on an Island in the Middle of the Mississippi during that all time record flood event on the river.

I remember many 13+ hour days (and nights). Definitely the most demanding 3 weeks of my career. Also the most rewarding and memorable.

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
I was at FT Hood for an Army school. My wife was 7 months pregnant during that time. When I got home I never heard the end of it. I missed the no water in Des Moines

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sent a map that showed since the middle of April, this has been the wettest stretch in 132 years for NC Iowa. All but SE Iowa and EC Iowa it’s been top 3 at least.

Help Support Us

Become a patron