***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Assume you remember we already have two bigs coming / Rock(RS) and Jackson.
I only see one more “big” a classic 4 man.
So you think we should have 9 guards to play 3 positions and 4 bigs to man the front. Minimum I think we need 5 including Hadley who can also play the 3.

Jackson
Kyle
Rock
Watson

After that of course we have Milan who can fill in there as well. Originally I thought he'd get the bulk of his minutes at the 4 this year but adding Hadley changes that.

Reactions: CloneAlta

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If we land Hadley and Kyle, it's going to be a great problem to have for the coaching staff as far as handling minutes. Big thing will be for guys to buy into their role. Even if you're not starting you can still get starter minutes.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Why is there a confident assumption that an incoming transfer, that has yet to prove themselves in an Iowa State uniform and shown a buy-in to the culture, would be gifted the minutes of a starter?
Because of the reasonable assumption that kids are not inclined to transfer from places where they start and are a focal point of the offense to a place where they’re lucky to see 8 minutes of playing time a game.

Meaning there is an assumption - likely implied from the coaching staff - that there will be minutes for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhoISthis

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If we land Hadley and Kyle, it's going to be a great problem to have for the coaching staff as far as handling minutes. Big thing will be for guys to buy into their role. Even if you're not starting you can still get starter minutes.
Likely going to differ game to game. Big picture just have a roster full of guys who's only goal is winning.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Likely going to differ game to game. Big picture just have a roster full of guys who's only goal is winning.
Go with the guys that are hot that game. Having a bunch of skilled guys will never be an issue if you have the right culture instilled, which I believe we do.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
So you think we should have 9 guards to play 3 positions and 4 bigs to man the front. Minimum I think we need 5 including Hadley who can also play the 3.

Jackson
Kyle
Rock
Watson

After that of course we have Milan who can fill in there as well. Originally I thought he'd get the bulk of his minutes at the 4 this year but adding Hadley changes that.
Well - you have a valid point. My thought was - we lose three bigs, we get three bigs.
Milan will have more experience - probably will always be more of a stretch 4 or 3 on offense. Add 2 big guards that may also pass as a wing. Also guessing we may hold one open.
We had a fantastic season. I think we need a little more length. Matchups and fouls will ultimately influence PT. Good to have options.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Well - you have a valid point. My thought was - we lose three bigs, we get three bigs.
Milan will have more experience - probably will always be more of a stretch 4 or 3 on offense. Add 2 big guards that may also pass as a wing. Also guessing we may hold one open.
We had a fantastic season. I think we need a little more length. Matchups and fouls will ultimately influence PT. Good to have options.
I think you always need 3 that can step in and man the 5 add Kyle and we're there.. After that the roster can get flexible and Kyle, Hadley, Watson, Momcilovic all bring something different to the 4.

• Agree
Reactions: LLCoolCY

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I wouldn't pay much attention to 247's transfer rankings. They don't seem to mean much. They just slap a rating on kids
Definitely. Even if they strived to be completely thorough, I don't know how you could possibly evaluate 1,000 different kids, many of who didn't even see the floor this year, all in the span of a couple days.

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
Just short of the "I trust TJ implicitly" notion, the longer TJ is the head coach it's very hard not to give him and his staff an overwhelming benefit of the doubt. I think the right players will fall into place, and they don't have to bear the top ratings.

For me, free throw shooting and conditioning. The only 2 things in basketball 100% under your control. If the Clones can really emphasize knocking down their free throws, that's the next jump to being a truly exceptional team.

Reactions: Acer88 and CyNews

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Known contact list:

Minnesota’s Pharrell Payne
Colorado’s JVonne Hadley
Geo Mason’s Keyshawn Hall
SDSU’s William Kyle III
Ok St’s Eric Daily Jr
St Mary’s Joshua Jefferson

Looks like the CF wish list consensus is Hadley and Kyle for the last two spots.

That's mine, with Dailey as my backup option (but I'm open to that changing).

Hubbs4cy

Oct 10, 2023
Because of the reasonable assumption that kids are not inclined to transfer from places where they start and are a focal point of the offense to a place where they’re lucky to see 8 minutes of playing time a game.

Meaning there is an assumption - likely implied from the coaching staff - that there will be minutes for them.
So you're trying to say with a straight face that TJ sat Milan down and told him you're no longer a starter and your minutes are cut in half because I promised this kid that started at an average school your playing time?

• Dumb
Reactions: WhoISthis

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Portal ratings are effing way off. They have Kayden Fish and Omaha Biliew at around 16 & 24 respectively and Dishon Jackson in the 90’s. All you have to do is look at some film of the three and you would come to a different conclusion.

Reactions: Letterkenny

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
So you're trying to say with a straight face that TJ sat Milan down and told him you're no longer a starter and your minutes are cut in half because I promised this kid that started at an average school your playing time?
That’s not at all what I said but keep putting words in peoples mouths. You asked a question and I gave you my answer.

I was not even speaking about Milan specifically.

This was your question for reference:

“Why is there a confident assumption that an incoming transfer, that has yet to prove themselves in an Iowa State uniform and shown a buy-in to the culture, would be gifted the minutes of a starter?”