***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Honestly I think I'd rather get the catcher from Boston. Solely because I think our pipeline is closer to providing a better option than Morel at 3rd but Ballesteros rakes buts a long way from being a regular behind the plate. Amaya's hot streak does change that a bit but who knows if it's real or just a blip on the radar?
I was just dicking around and Teel has allowed 60 SBs in 48 games. I do like him, but he may not be a good every day option behind the plate. But with 26 available, maybe you can have 3 catchers

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I don’t know man. Kyle Gibson got 13 mil this offseason at age 36. Prices are only going up. Maybe you trade a couple of positional prospects for a stud pitcher that’s ready to impact next year? Obviously getting Brown Wicks and Horton healthy is huge but that has little to do with Taillon.
Burnes was close with Counsell in Milwaukee and Counsell has been overseas multiple times to scout Roki Sasaki who will be cheap because of contract requirements.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Crochet probably hurt his value by saying he wants an extension by the team trading for him or he’s not pitching in the playoffs. That’s good for the Cubs.

Mariners acquired Randy Arozarena. Not terrible news, but the were interested in Bellinger, so it’s news nonetheless. The return was cheap. Will be interesting to see if this leads to a bigger push for Hoerner

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Anybody been to an Iowa Cubs game lately? I went last night. I realize a couple of the better prospects are still in AA but I don't see any reason to believe we still have one of the best farm systems.

Cassie looks the part but we have no idea if that translates to the next level yet. Ballestros can absolutely rake but hes terrible behind the plate and is too short and slow to play anywhere in the field. Maybe he can DH and be the backup catcher?

Other than those 2 it's a bunch of career AAA guys who can't hit more than about .250.

I haven't seen Horton yet, but there is absolutely nothing else in Des Moines right now that makes the Big league club any better. Their starters are constantly getting shelled and only lasting 3 or 4 innings. Arias has electric stuff but can't find the strike zone and Bigge looks really good but they won't give him a,chance to stick.

I just don't see much that gives me any hope they are going to turn things around in Chicago anytime soon.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
One of my Jed knocks - How he managed the Matt Mervis scenario should be a case study for every future MLB GM/President.

You know going into 2022 it's a rebuild year. You have a guy in Des Moines who is hitting .309 with 40 bombs on the year and a low strikeout rate. But Jed decides he's going to ride with Frank Schwindel and Alfonso Rivas at 1B and Mervis doesn't get a shot.

2023 comes. Jed has zero ******* clue who is going to be 1B, so he signs two first basemen who have shown drastic decline in the previous year. Mervis? Still raking in Des Moines. Call up Mervis in May/June. Does not perform. Goes back to Des Moines the rest of the season.

Jed could've found out in September 2022 that Mervis was not the 1B of the future and shopped him that offseason and pinned it on adjusting to the MLB. Instead he waited until May 2023, lost that excuse, and lost any and all value Mervis once had.

And I say all that to say this - **** 2024. You want to compete in 2025? Bring up Caisse, Vazquez, and anyone else in Iowa in August/September and see if they're going to be a long term asset for this club or if they're guys we want to shop this offseason.
What difference does it make exactly if Mervis ***** the bed in Sept 2022 vs May 2023? Either way he comes up for a cup of coffee, looks awful, goes back down and rakes at AAA. If other teams viewed him as a guy that would go down, adjust, and come back up and rake (think the start of Rizzo's career), then there would have been a market for him.

I just think 1B/DH only types who mash in the minors can easily get overvalued by fans. Especially ones that come with K% in the minors that become unplayable in the majors.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
What difference does it make exactly if Mervis ***** the bed in Sept 2022 vs May 2023? Either way he comes up for a cup of coffee, looks awful, goes back down and rakes at AAA. If other teams viewed him as a guy that would go down, adjust, and come back up and rake (think the start of Rizzo's career), then there would have been a market for him.

I just think 1B/DH only types who mash in the minors can easily get overvalued by fans. Especially ones that come with K% in the minors that become unplayable in the majors.
Couldn't agree more. No one other than fans ever thought he was the answer. I was hopeful that he could become serviceable to good, but how he was handled is no indictment on Jed.

Now, that doesn't mean there aren't countless other things that he has screwed up.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

K-rate is the reason they have zero belief in Canario. His ceiling is serviceable 4th outfielder because that K-rate is never going to drop below 30%.

He's Nelson Velazquez that can play defense.

Reactions: RivClone23

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
It’s not that confusing - Mervis’ value was (objectively)at its highest in 2022 when he hit .309 and smashed 40 bombs.

Instead of taking 30 days in September 2022 to see if he was a potential answer in 2023 (and possibly avoiding Mancini and Hosmer, who we are still paying) the Cubs waited, thus not knowing if he was an answer or not, until May 2023. He didn’t perform. The Cubs sent him down, and never called him back up the rest of 2023, and his stats have never been near what they were in 2022 or at the beginning of his time in 2023.

I am not saying Mervis was ever THE solution. But you could’ve actually received something of value for him in 2022/early 2023 in a trade. Now, he has no value.

You call up a guy in September and he hits .150 with 2 bombs, you typically put zero value into that when the season ends. Look at Rizzo with the Padres.

You call up a guy in May and he hits .150 with 2 bombs and then never call him back up because his numbers are never the same, your management hurts his value

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
As one who would prefer the Orioles win it all over anyone else in the AL, I'd have no complaints if they landed Skubal and/or Crochet.

I just think the asking prices, while affordable for the O's, might be too astronomical. The Tigers aren't that far away from being a good team. White Sox have two stars but they need a complete rebuild and I'm not sure that organization is smart enough to either rebuild or rebuild and get high end assets.
I agree 100% with this.

Skubal and Crochet have both had arm issues too. Saw that Crochet came out with a set of demands if he were to get traded. Wild that a former reliever starting this year for the first time and known arm trouble can demand anything.

Elias has done a great job of building the Os farm teams that there #10 guy is like a top 3 guy in other farms. So any talk of an Os trade seems will seem lopsided for one side. The GMs know what is going on but casual fans dont.

BTW-I do think the Os have interest in Taillon. He has been a horse THIS year. I just think they hold the Mayo on that deal.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
I'm sure it was a good reason but watching the Cubs-Orioles series, I think the Orioles would've won the series had they not moved the LF wall back so damn far. They hit a ton of warning track shots. With all the pop you guys have, you'd shatter records if that wall was moved in a bit. It's become the least hitter friendly left field in all of baseball.
That wall served a purpose when they were rebuilding and had bad pitching and young hitters. I was thinking the other day that it might be good to move it back. Surely MLB has to have some kind of rule in place for changing the dimensions of your park around every few years to benefit your team right?

It was also talked about that the fence was moved to help recruit free agent pitchers. They havent even tried to sign any free agent pitchers so that hasnt come into play.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
IMO the O's should have interest in Taillon if they can't get a top tier arm. Losing guys like Bradish & Means leaves the O's rotation thin. And I haven't seen if Suarez will be out after being hit by a batted ball the other night. A multiple player trade might be easier to pull off:

Taillon
+ Leiter/Lopez/Neris
+ Cubs MiLB prospect

for Mayo
+ O's MiLB prospect

The prospect angle could be the icing to fill pipeline gaps. Would O's be willing to trade their #2 prospect Basallo, a catcher whose MLB ETA is 2025/26. Would Cubs be willing to trade an arm like Horton, Brown, Arias?
Basallo is still just 19 and growing. They think he will possibly end up at 3rd base. If you trade him early his value is higher as a catcher than first base obviously. I think they would have to be blown away with a trade that included players that can contribute now or within this current rosters next year-2025.

The good/bad to Elias is he feels like he has to win every trade. I think that stalls quite a bit of action. Things should be close to even when pulling trades off but thats not how he sees it. He does have a good track record but i think teams are starting to catch on too. Why does Mike want to make this deal so badly??

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Basallo is still just 19 and growing. They think he will possibly end up at 3rd base. If you trade him early his value is higher as a catcher than first base obviously. I think they would have to be blown away with a trade that included players that can contribute now or within this current rosters next year-2025.

The good/bad to Elias is he feels like he has to win every trade. I think that stalls quite a bit of action. Things should be close to even when pulling trades off but thats not how he sees it. He does have a good track record but i think teams are starting to catch on too. Why does Mike want to make this deal so badly??
The O's have a lot of infield flexibility among prospects.

Regarding Basallo, it will be curious what O's FO plan is for Rutschman. He's a great hitter, so longer-term does he move to 1B or do the O's continue platooning him at catcher? So Basallo isn't blocked as MLB catcher and can be brought along slowly.

Amaya's hitting last few weeks is a relief because 2 "everyday" catchers is almost a necessity. It would be great whoever Cubs target as catcher in trade that he have gun for arm.

I will also be curious if framing pitches becomes obsolete once pitch calling becomes automated or managers can call on replay.

Cyforce

Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Bottom line is we don't deal Taillon unless we get a 2025 regular otherwise we have a solid middle of the rotation guy for 2 more years. Jed has to know his days are numbered without a big turnaround next year. So he isn't trading for value that doesn't help next season.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Bottom line is we don't deal Taillon unless we get a 2025 regular otherwise we have a solid middle of the rotation guy for 2 more years. Jed has to know his days are numbered without a big turnaround next year. So he isn't trading for value that doesn't help next season.
Yup. If we get a return on 3 guys with an ETA of 2028, Jed can just pack his **** up and leave.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Looks like O's probably not option for Taillon. The O's added Zach Eflin from TB.

The O's gave up #13 prospect plus 2 A level guys not rated in O's top 30.

edit. saw Baseball America has prospects O's traded as #13 & #18 & unrated in their system.

Last edited:

CyState85

May 8, 2019
When Hendricks saw the bottom half of the lineup tonight with Tauchman, Swanson, Mastrobuoni, Amaya, and PCA, he probably asked Counsell if he could hit for himself.