***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Is this our best 13 with everyone healthy?
Starters
Imanaga
Steele
Assad
Taillon
Wicks

Releivers
Wesneski
Brown
Smyly
Almonte
Miller
Merryweather
Leiter Jr
Neris

Little just misses
Alzolay should be when healthy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
So far this season my biggest complaint on CC is how he transitions from starter to bullpen. He consistently trys to stretch one more inning even though the signs are there. Last night Steele was letting the leadoff guy on in his later innings. Then when he does make the switch he uses a low leverage guy like Cuas or Palencia who are both coin flips on finding the zone. I know Leiter went 1+ the night before but he's the perfect guy to get you out of these situations. Regardless I'm sure the starters would prefer someone with a little bulldog in them to inherit their runners.

Assuming most were like me and turned it off before the 9th but it's nice to see Hodge had a perfect inning with 3 Ks.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
So far this season my biggest complaint on CC is how he transitions from starter to bullpen. He consistently trys to stretch one more inning even though the signs are there. Last night Steele was letting the leadoff guy on in his later innings. Then when he does make the switch he uses a low leverage guy like Cuas or Palencia who are both coin flips on finding the zone. I know Leiter went 1+ the night before but he's the perfect guy to get you out of these situations. Regardless I'm sure the starters would prefer someone with a little bulldog in them to inherit their runners.

Assuming most were like me and turned it off before the 9th but it's nice to see Hodge had a perfect inning with 3 Ks.
I don't really pin this on CC. He can only do what he can with the pieces he has. This bullpen might be the worst I've seen, and that says a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: Clones1414

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't really pin this on CC. He can only do what he can with the pieces he has. This bullpen might be the worst I've seen, and that says a lot.
I wouldn't say that's very accurate. The bullpen has been outstanding as of late. Guys like Wesneski, Brown, Leiter Jr. Miller and even Neris have been dealing. Guys like Cuas or Palencia ( currently down) will either strikeout the side or walk everyone. When we get Wicks back Brown can be a full-time late inning guy. Then you get Almonte, Smyly and Merryweather back and we'll be one of the better units in the NL.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

You've seen our bullpen, right?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You've seen our bullpen, right?
Yes, have you?
Here's the guys I mentioned
Current ERAs
Brown 3.57 bad first appearance
Neris 2.50
Leiter 0.90
Almonte 3.45 again weak start be righted the ship before injury
Wesneski 1.84
Miller 2.14 hasn't given up a run as a Cub
Merryweather 1.93 expected back in June
Hodge 1st appearance perfect inning 3Ks

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I’ll be in the bleachers today with a Braves buddy. First game at Wrigley in five years I think. Between the Braves calling up a mediocre minor league pitcher and the Cubs likely having a bullpen game we should at least see some runs

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I’ll be in the bleachers today with a Braves buddy. First game at Wrigley in five years I think. Between the Braves calling up a mediocre minor league pitcher and the Cubs likely having a bullpen game we should at least see some runs
Is the wind still blowing out?

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
The Cubs have been frustrating to watch recently. The offense is so bad. They can't seem to even put the ball in play and the pitching keeps finding a way to mess it up, weather it is blown leads early and recently starting pitching being shaky at best. For a while I was giving the offense a break with all the injuries earlier, but pretty much everyone is back and the offense has found a way to get worse. Lack of hitting since 2016 has been an issue regardless of players, managers, and hititng coaches. No clue what is going on, but with a very mediocre division and to be playing so bad is so confusing. The bullpen everyone knew was going to be an issue going into the season and it has been which is baffling why management didn't do anything to address it.

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I 100% certain none of the decision makers believed Hendricks to the bullpen would workout.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I 100% certain none of the decision makers believed Hendricks to the bullpen would workout.
After listening to David Kaplan on Miller and Condon yesterday, they are trying to be respectful to Kyle for what he has done and give him a chance to get right, but something clearly is wrong. He has even less velocity than before and can't hit his spots, so he is getting crushed by hitters.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Unless something drastic happens in the 9th, about to be 3-7 in their last 10 innings with only averaging 2.3 runs per game in that span. That is with a 7 run game in there. This offense is getting frustrating to watch.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
After listening to David Kaplan on Miller and Condon yesterday, they are trying to be respectful to Kyle for what he has done and give him a chance to get right, but something clearly is wrong. He has even less velocity than before and can't hit his spots, so he is getting crushed by hitters.
He'll be on the roster till he gets his 10 years of service but shouldn't throw anything but garbage time.