***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
Call me half cup full, but I still think that Kyle's career could be extended (probably not for terribly long) as a middle reliever. He'd be a nice change of pace, only one time thru the order type of pitcher, maybe......maybe?

• Disagree
Reactions: RagingCloner

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Call me half cup full, but I still think that Kyle's career could be extended (probably not for terribly long) as a middle reliever. He'd be a nice change of pace, only one time thru the roster type of pitcher, maybe......maybe?
Hate to see him go, because he’s the last remaining from the 2016 World Series team. But he has nothing to offer a rotation or a bullpen anymore

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Didn't Hendricks have a bad start last year but eventually came into form a few months in? Or am I imagining things?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It's still early so I will not overreact with the small sample size for the pitching. I've always worried about when Hendricks stuff will not longer be enough to get by without a good fastball. Cubs have been smart not to extend him but have to wonder if they missed their window to trade him at the deadline for a young arm that could help. Cuas and Palencia have some nasty stuff if they can throw strikes but it is starting to look like they lack control needed to be reliable bullpen arms.

I do like that Counsell is not over thinking the lineup and has been pretty consistent with his lineups instead of tinkering day to day like Maddon and Ross did. Put your best hitters out there regardless who is on the mound. Your best guys should see regular at bats regardless who is one the mound. Busch is getting the runway Mervis did not get last year as is Morel at 3B even with his errors. Both bats need to be in the lineup consistently. Morel is a defensive liability but he might be the best hitter on the roster so its a matter of can he play a decent 3B on days you need to DH a guy.

I think the bullpen will work itself out like it has lately but if this team is in contention at the deadline it needs to get some proven arms to make the late push.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Kyle is a career 5+ ERA in April and sub-3.00 ERA in May, so historically he starts poor and picks it up.

Problem is, like first-half Taillon last year, you can’t be an automatic L because you are starting the game. I wouldn’t give him more than another start or two and then sending him to the bullpen in a Smyly role.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Not sure what the plan is on Kyle, I’d like to see him start another 3-4 games before finding a different solution.

But we currently have $42 MM tied to Taillon, Smyly, and Hendricks alone, and that’s a pretty damn good pitcher you can get with that money

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Not sure what the plan is on Kyle, I’d like to see him start another 3-4 games before finding a different solution.

But we currently have $42 MM tied to Taillon, Smyly, and Hendricks alone, and that’s a pretty damn good pitcher you can get with that money
So correct me if I'm wrong but if we didn't resign Hendricks and traded Taillon for a fungo Snell would be in.our rotation?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron