***Official 2023 Weather Thread***

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
**** that. Just run it at a higher ground speed to feed more volume of snow.
I leave home pretty early, so generally anything under 3" I try to scoop since I'm usually starting to clear around 5 am. I don't want to be the lazy neighbor that wakes everyone up haha.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I leave home pretty early, so generally anything under 3" I try to scoop since I'm usually starting to clear around 5 am. I don't want to be the lazy neighbor that wakes everyone up haha.

I feel like when it comes to snowblowing there's no real time rule. You do it when you have to. Unlike mowing, when you can always wait.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I feel like when it comes to snowblowing there's no real time rule. You do it when you have to. Unlike mowing, when you can always wait.
I generally agree. I don't mind my neighbors getting out early and I certainly don't think twice if we have a good snowfall. However, I do feel a little guilty firing up the blower that early when we have something like this that is manageable by shovel.

On a side note I have an Ariens 24" that is only 2 years old, and for some reason it seems to be insanely louder than all of my neighbors units.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I generally agree. I don't mind my neighbors getting out early and I certainly don't think twice if we have a good snowfall. However, I do feel a little guilty firing up the blower that early when we have something like this that is manageable by shovel.

On a side note I have an Ariens 24" that is only 2 years old, and for some reason it seems to be insanely louder than all of my neighbors units.

I don't feel bad about snowblowing at 5 am one little bit. If people mow grass at 7 am on a weekend and shoot fireworks until midnight, I will use the snowblower, no matter the accum, at any time I want.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Have a friend who lives in Pella, has lived there most of his life, I was surprised to hear that mowing on Sundays there is very much frowned upon by old school community members. Like, to the point where you'll get shunned... lol.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Our Ariens 24" compact is loud when you first start it up, but once it warms and I turn down the choke it's not bad.

Although, my wife reminded me today that I was supposed to take it in to get the carburator cleaned out since it stunk up the garage like gas last time. A little late for that reminder. Oh well.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Have a friend who lives in Pella, has lived there most of his life, I was surprised to hear that mowing on Sundays there is very much frowned upon by old school community members. Like, to the point where you'll get shunned... lol.
I went to Central College in Pella. The longtime townsfolk frown on pretty much anything going on Sundays, except for church.

• Haha
Reactions: farm85

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

True. Same with some of the small towns around Pella.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Ooof, it's a heavy wet snow. Definitely gonna measure lower in inches but be a PITA to clear the driveway tomorrow.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just went out and cleared mine. A thick layer of slush on the bottom, glad I got that out before it froze solid overnight.

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Our Ariens 24" compact is loud when you first start it up, but once it warms and I turn down the choke it's not bad.

Although, my wife reminded me today that I was supposed to take it in to get the carburator cleaned out since it stunk up the garage like gas last time. A little late for that reminder. Oh well.

No need to take it in. Just find a couple youtube videos and do it yourself. Buy some carb cleaner and have metal paperclips to clean some parts. Super easy. I do it right before winter and runs great. Starts right off after cleaning it. Just make sure gas tank is empty after last use so don't need to drain that.