***Official 2023 Chicago Cubs Thread***

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Who's bright idea was it to have opening night right during the Sweet 16 games?

Opening Day used to be one of my favorite days of the year, it alwasy signified the transition from March Madness to baseball season, now they are competing with viewers.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
A little frustrating the billionaires are opting not to grab Chapman ($20 MM) or Chapman ($25 MM) The optimistic side of me is hoping it’s to avoid having to go over the luxury tax this year with the idea that they will be splurging quite a bit in 2025 and don’t want to set the clock for luxury tax penalties in 2024, but the realistic side tells me we we will not be going over any time soon.

Most frustrating part is you sat on your hands in 2023 at the deadline because you were too afraid to go over the tax and missed out on the playoffs by 1 game. Zero excuse to have done so if you were going to reset the tax in 2024, yet absolute crickets from the Ricketts.
Some of the comments I've seen make me feel like the goal this year is make the playoffs but more importantly figure out what parts are going to work next year and the future.

I think they try to move Tailion at the deadline unless he somehow goes from IL to top half of the rotation. Then in 25 they look to Japan for another starter.

As for the offense I think Shaw has star capabilities and they'd rather not waste a big contract till they know differently.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Some of the comments I've seen make me feel like the goal this year is make the playoffs but more importantly figure out what parts are going to work next year and the future.

I think they try to move Tailion at the deadline unless he somehow goes from IL to top half of the rotation. Then in 25 they look to Japan for another starter.

As for the offense I think Shaw has star capabilities and they'd rather not waste a big contract till they know differently.
Agreed. That's why Morel and Busch are getting long runways. They're going to have a chance to prove that they can or can't get it done defensively. We know the bats play so if you can lock down those two spots plus CF with cost controlled guys for the next 5 years, it really lengthens your competitive window and you can buy pitching and look at a more expensive extension for Seiya when the time comes.

I'm also of the belief that if Shaw turns out to be what we all think he is that they trade Nico to a shortstop needy team for a young, proven TOR arm.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Not a chance. Ohtani felt the pressure and asked him to come forward and take the heat
I think the original story was correct in that ohtani's interpreter made the bets, got to a point where he was in deep and ohtani willingly paid it back via wire transfer which is illegal. I don't think they knew they were admitting to a crime which is when the story changed. I can't see Ohtani gambling on college sports or even caring about them

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's too bad I hadn't pieces together opening day and Iowa State Sweet 16 earlier before my work schedule filled up. Would have been an elite day drinking day.

• Winner
Reactions: RagingCloner

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

I have similar thoughts. I think they’ll try and finagle some ways around the deadline to make sure they stay under the tax at the deadline. You also have Canario and Mervis as guys you can put in a deal if teams fear the price tag on Taillon

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Havent followed spring training much, any predictions on lineups for tomorrow?

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
What I’d like:

Happ, LF
Suzuki, RF
Belli, CF
Cooper, DH
Busch, 1B
Hoerner, 2B
Swanson, SS
Gomes, C
Morel, 3B

What I think is just a repeat of Mondays lineup against the Cards
I thought I saw somewhere that Amaya was starting at C tomorrow. Or am I remembering that wrong?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I thought I saw somewhere that Amaya was starting at C tomorrow. Or am I remembering that wrong?
I think we're basically to the point where they're 50/50. I'm guessing they want Amaya to eventually catch all the young/ long-term guys. Maybe Gomes gets Hendricks, Tailion and then DHs once a week or so.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
It's opening day and I'm trying to like this team as is, but I'm finding myself skeptical with a lot of questions.

Pitching:
  • Steele - can he duplicate last year or at least come close? We are going to need it.
  • Hendricks - love Kyle but can we depend on a solid 5 innings anymore?
  • Imanaga - first year in MLB - can he keep the ball in the yard?
  • Wicks -hopefully he can continue his upward trend
  • Assad/Smyly - I have more faith in Assad than most people
  • Taillon - ?? ($$)
  • Bullpen - an area that appears to have improved and hopefully with better management they won't burn out late in the year.
Infield
  • Busch - while he looks the part, can he do it at this level? He had roughly the same amount of ABs as Mervis last year in the majors and had the exact same average - bad. Was he ready to just be handed the job before spring training?
  • Nico - great glove - can he better his numbers from last year at the plate? .283/.346/.383
  • Swanson - elite glove - can he better his numbers from last year at the plate? .244/.328/.416
  • Morel - while no question he can hit, will he turn out to be a big liability defensively that he can't play in the field?
  • Mastro/Madrigal/Cooper/Wisdom - IMO, serviceable at best
  • No question as it's been said a lot, the corners are a big question mark.
Outfield
  • Happ - Looks like he might finally lead-off. Many have been asking for this over the last few years.....will he produce?
  • Bellinger - Hopefully, he can produce like last year. Was that an anomaly or were the 2 years before that the anomaly? We'll find out.
  • Suzuki - Big key to this season. We need him to at least produce like last year (.285/.357/.485) but add a few more HRs. Oh, and stay healthy. Is he ready to break out?
  • Tauchman - I don't have the love for him as some do. Last year (.252/.363/.377) was outstanding, for him and expectations, but he was starting to slide toward his career averages in the later part of the season. Before last year he was a career .220 hitter who was in Korea just the year before. Hopefully, we get a 2023 version the entire 2024
  • Cooper - ?
  • Peralta - ? What are the plans for him? Sounds like he is at the AZ facility working to get back.
Catcher
  • Gomes/Amaya - hopefully Gomes has a repeat year and Amaya steps up.

Iowa Cubs - Season ticket holder so I get to see a lot of these guys which is good but also bad. Bad because I build an emotional connection with the players and want to see them in Chicago. That tends to influence my opinion on who should make the majors and get the chance. Options in (x)
  • PCA (3) - Looking forward to him getting a lot of AAA at bats in hopes he hits Chicago mid season. He has started slow initially at every level and then raked it.
  • Caissie - Had a great spring training. Looking for big things
  • Canario (1) - OF is full in Chicago without some movement.
  • Brennen Davis (2) - while still young - 24, the clock is ticking fast. He was hitting the ball hard this spring and then got hit in the head with a pitch. After that, he was MIA for the most part.
  • Mervis (2) - I assumed he would be gone already in some kind of move. Feel bad he really didn't get a good shot in Chicago. However, maybe they saw enough to know he wasn't it.
  • Vazquez (3) - great glove and making strides at the plate
  • Shaw - starting in AA but will be seeing him in Iowa at sometime, hopefully. Will he see Chicago this year?
  • Strumpf - the guy can hit the ball, WHEN he hits the ball
  • Brown/Horton - looking forward to big things
  • Wesneski/K. Thompson - hoping for improvement
  • Sanders - really think this guy can help down the road.
  • Others - as we hear and read, the minor league system is the best it has been in a while. Is there a superstar in the bunch? At some point these guys need to play or they need to be moved while they have value. Who did I miss?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It's opening day and I'm trying to like this team as is, but I'm finding myself skeptical with a lot of questions.

Pitching:
  • Steele - can he duplicate last year or at least come close? We are going to need it.
  • Hendricks - love Kyle but can we depend on a solid 5 innings anymore?
  • Imanaga - first year in MLB - can he keep the ball in the yard?
  • Wicks -hopefully he can continue his upward trend
  • Assad/Smyly - I have more faith in Assad than most people
  • Taillon - ?? ($$)
  • Bullpen - an area that appears to have improved and hopefully with better management they won't burn out late in the year.
Infield
  • Busch - while he looks the part, can he do it at this level? He had roughly the same amount of ABs as Mervis last year in the majors and had the exact same average - bad. Was he ready to just be handed the job before spring training?
  • Nico - great glove - can he better his numbers from last year at the plate? .283/.346/.383
  • Swanson - elite glove - can he better his numbers from last year at the plate? .244/.328/.416
  • Morel - while no question he can hit, will he turn out to be a big liability defensively that he can't play in the field?
  • Mastro/Madrigal/Cooper/Wisdom - IMO, serviceable at best
  • No question as it's been said a lot, the corners are a big question mark.
Outfield
  • Happ - Looks like he might finally lead-off. Many have been asking for this over the last few years.....will he produce?
  • Bellinger - Hopefully, he can produce like last year. Was that an anomaly or were the 2 years before that the anomaly? We'll find out.
  • Suzuki - Big key to this season. We need him to at least produce like last year (.285/.357/.485) but add a few more HRs. Oh, and stay healthy. Is he ready to break out?
  • Tauchman - I don't have the love for him as some do. Last year (.252/.363/.377) was outstanding, for him and expectations, but he was starting to slide toward his career averages in the later part of the season. Before last year he was a career .220 hitter who was in Korea just the year before. Hopefully, we get a 2023 version the entire 2024
  • Cooper - ?
  • Peralta - ? What are the plans for him? Sounds like he is at the AZ facility working to get back.
Catcher
  • Gomes/Amaya - hopefully Gomes has a repeat year and Amaya steps up.

Iowa Cubs - Season ticket holder so I get to see a lot of these guys which is good but also bad. Bad because I build an emotional connection with the players and want to see them in Chicago. That tends to influence my opinion on who should make the majors and get the chance. Options in (x)
  • PCA (3) - Looking forward to him getting a lot of AAA at bats in hopes he hits Chicago mid season. He has started slow initially at every level and then raked it.
  • Caissie - Had a great spring training. Looking for big things
  • Canario (1) - OF is full in Chicago without some movement.
  • Brennen Davis (2) - while still young - 24, the clock is ticking fast. He was hitting the ball hard this spring and then got hit in the head with a pitch. After that, he was MIA for the most part.
  • Mervis (2) - I assumed he would be gone already in some kind of move. Feel bad he really didn't get a good shot in Chicago. However, maybe they saw enough to know he wasn't it.
  • Vazquez (3) - great glove and making strides at the plate
  • Shaw - starting in AA but will be seeing him in Iowa at sometime, hopefully. Will he see Chicago this year?
  • Strumpf - the guy can hit the ball, WHEN he hits the ball
  • Brown/Horton - looking forward to big things
  • Wesneski/K. Thompson - hoping for improvement
  • Sanders - really think this guy can help down the road.
  • Others - as we hear and read, the minor league system is the best it has been in a while. Is there a superstar in the bunch? At some point these guys need to play or they need to be moved while they have value. Who did I miss?
Here's my rotation prediction. Brown destroys AAA. Callup by mid-season. They look to deal Tailion at the deadline. Use that freed up money to add a top line reliever. Horton up later in the year moving Assad back to his ideal role LR/Spot starter unless it becomes clear he's better than Wicks starting.

Offensively Shaw is a star in waiting.

• Agree

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Do we think they'll release MRI results for Steele today?
Probably not and use the 2024 thread please:

Reactions: RoseClone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Haven't announced Tuesday starter. Assume that's Assad.

Hoping Wednesday is Brown not Smyly.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Call me crazy, but it almost feels like we should have signed someone who can play third base.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron