***Official 2021 Weather Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Very cold this morning. Survived the night. Warm meal helped. Power org and distributor say more power can come online today which means better rotation than yesterday.

Guys, we might be able to postpone our rescue mission to Dallas.

DSt7UzJX4AUOa_e.jpg

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Northerners that are quick to mock should think what would happen in the upper Midwest if it hit 100 degrees for two weeks. Grid crash and blackouts. Hell, a couple of days of high 90's and you get brownouts and calls to conserve energy.

What? It gets above 100 in the Midwest/Iowa. Like sometimes 2 weeks straight.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Northerners that are quick to mock should think what would happen in the upper Midwest if it hit 100 degrees for two weeks. Grid crash and blackouts. Hell, a couple of days of high 90's and you get brownouts and calls to conserve energy.
Isn't the problem Texas' independent power grid, not the temperature? I mean, Iowa often has 90-100+ days in the summer with minimal/no blackouts. We've gotten almost 14 feet of snow this winter and I don't think I've lost power once.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Isn't the problem Texas' independent power grid, not the temperature? I mean, Iowa often has 90-100+ days in the summer with minimal/no blackouts. We've gotten almost 14 feet of snow this winter and I don't think I've lost power once.

It's not just Texas.

The problem is the energy industry being unprepared. There's fossil fuel plants that have frozen lines. There's fuel shortages. There's solar/wind farms shut down/reduced because of ice. Then there's a huge increase in demand because of the extremely cold temperatures. I'm sure there will be investigations and changes based on what happened.

• Agree
Reactions: Saul_T

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
It's not just Texas.

The problem is the energy industry being unprepared. There's fossil fuel plants that have frozen lines. There's fuel shortages. There's solar/wind farms shut down/reduced because of ice. Then there's a huge increase in demand because of the extremely cold temperatures. I'm sure there will be investigations and changes based on what happened.

Some photos of a natural gas power plant.

• Wow
Reactions: cstrunk

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
It's not just Texas.

Third time is the charm?

Reactions: wxman1