***Official 2021 Vikings***

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I’m not sure how much credit you can give a guy as an OC under McVay. On one hand it’s great to get an OC that’s been able to learn under a successful offensive-minded head coach, but how much was he responsible for vs being along for the ride.

I'm sorta wondering if Bienemy is given similar treatment. When he was with the Vikes as RB coach, he had Adrian Petersen. In KC, he's got Andy Reid and Mahomes/Kelce/Hill and there has always been talk that Reid is the primary play-caller (I have no idea what's true or what isn't).

He's had great success, but it seems like he's been overlooked year in year out. I've often wondered if he's viewed as someone that is an offensive guru or as someone that landed in some pretty ideal situations.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I'm sorta wondering if Bienemy is given similar treatment. When he was with the Vikes as RB coach, he had Adrian Petersen. In KC, he's got Andy Reid and Mahomes/Kelce/Hill and there has always been talk that Reid is the primary play-caller (I have no idea what's true or what isn't).

He's had great success, but it seems like he's been overlooked year in year out. I've often wondered if he's viewed as someone that is an offensive guru or as someone that landed in some pretty ideal situations.
Found it interesting that the Bears new GM worked with him at KC and still didn't even interview him when he got the job. That may tell you something.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

There's a pretty loud rumor that Bienemy has been promised the KC job when Reid retires and that he likes being there. If you're happy where you work, getting paid extremely well, and in line for the throne why would you be out interviewing?

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
There's a pretty loud rumor that Bienemy has been promised the KC job when Reid retires and that he likes being there. If you're happy where you work, getting paid extremely well, and in line for the throne why would you be out interviewing?

Yeah, at this point the only thing that makes sense is that Bienemy does not want to be interviewed.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I agree to that point. Sports radio here in KC definitely has speculated about him being next in line after Andy's gone. If it's as cut and dry as that, your answer may be the simplest explanation.

However, I've also heard chatter about him not even being seriously contacted about job openings along with speculations to why that may be.

It's an odd situation. I have no insider information either way.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Is it just me, but when O'connell smiles... he looks like the Joker.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah, at this point the only thing that makes sense is that Bienemy does not want to be interviewed.
The only possible other thing is that there isn't a good track record of Reid's OCs moving on to succeed. Who's the best success story as one of Andy Reid's OCs, Brad Childress?

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
After hearing the comments from Harbaugh post interview, those nine hours with him had to be very interesting.
At the end of the day, was it about length/amount of the contract?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The only possible other thing is that there isn't a good track record of Reid's OCs moving on to succeed. Who's the best success story as one of Andy Reid's OCs, Brad Childress?
Bienemey is interviewing with the Saints.

• Informative
Reactions: drmwevr08

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
After hearing the comments from Harbaugh post interview, those nine hours with him had to be very interesting.

The Athletic had an article that seemed to have a lot of inside information. At around 3pm, it sounds like both sides realized the fit just wasn't right, for whatever reason. I don't think contract negotiations were even part of it.

The same article said that O'Connell absolutely blew them away with his interview and that Harbaugh wasn't a done deal like so many in the media made it out to be. He was probably the favorite going into the Wednesday interview, but after talking for so many hours, it just wasn't right for either side.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Just speculating but Harbaugh is an ego-maniac. From what I heard he went there with the intention of signing a contract. I assume it was one of those "we are still looking at all candidates and will contact you soon". That was probably insulting to Harbaugh so he got mad and went back to Michigan.
If that's what transpired I honestly dotn blame him for being insulted. O'Connell's resume is nowhere near the level of Harbaughs.

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan21

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The sportswriters wanted Harbaugh, because he's Harbaugh. Always drama and goofiness from him. A sportswriter's dream... a media circus, if you will.
Clearly the Vikings wanted a younger coach and one they thought can help with team chemistry and innovation. Time will tell if it works.

Reactions: jcyclonee

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis

Doug Pederson won a Super Bowl. You can think he fell off after that, but I would grade that as successful.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Doug Pederson won a Super Bowl. You can think he fell off after that, but I would grade that as successful.
He wasn’t an OC under Reid, though. There are a fair number of coaches under Reid that have moved on, but almost none were his OC.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Just speculating but Harbaugh is an ego-maniac. From what I heard he went there with the intention of signing a contract. I assume it was one of those "we are still looking at all candidates and will contact you soon". That was probably insulting to Harbaugh so he got mad and went back to Michigan.
If that's what transpired I honestly dotn blame him for being insulted. O'Connell's resume is nowhere near the level of Harbaughs.
Yeah it sounds like Harbaugh thought he had it in the bag and the Wednesday interview was just a formality. Who knows how much of the smoke was coming from his camp and how much was coming from the Vikings. Certainly there was interest on both sides, but it appears one side was more into it than the other

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

If he was that big of an egomaniac, he wouldn't have been practicing for the interview with a colleague. He would have just assumed it was in the bag.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Hopefully the new coach brings in a DC with a 3-4 or 3-3-5.

Minnesota doesn't have the pass rushers on the line to run a 4 down front.

The didn't have the healthy pass rushers on the line to run a 4 down front with Hunter hurt and Griffen ill.

The definitely don't have the pass rushers at the LB position to run a 3-4. Especially with Barr all but assuredly not being on the roster next year.

I don't care which way they go, but they need to find pass rushers either way.

Nobody in the NFL runs a 3-3-5 base defense. Its not even a thing. Works in college, but as it can be torn to shreds by a super accurate QB as we witnessed when that Texas Tech QB was dropping dimes. Problem is, most NFL quarterbacks are dropping dimes. Plus, you need good pass rushers either on the DL or LB area anyway.

Not really sure how you see an alignment change as being the solution to the Vikings pass rush.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Help Support Us

Become a patron