NBA: ***Official 2019 NBA Playoffs Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'll never forget that, was just insane. Lebron is having the game of his life, and JR doesn't even know what sport he's supposed to be playing.

It was pretty much the signature moment of that series. The Cavs would have still had an uphill battle to beat a stacked Warriors team, but going back to Cleveland with a 1-1 split on the road would have given them at least some semblance of a chance.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Kemba is going to strike it rich after the all NBA list came it. I don't see it.

If he was a couple years younger I wouldn't mind paying him a max salary. He's a very good player wasting away on a crappy team. But undersized guards don't typically age well and I wouldn't want to be paying 33 year old Kemba Walker 35 million dollars or whatever in four years.

edit: maybe it makes sense for a team whose window to contend is right now. So the Lakers make some sense if they can make the numbers work. They have a two or three year window to capitalize on the AD/Bron pairing, and they've already mortgaged the future by sending a boatload of draft picks to the Pelicans. So why not kick the can a little further down the road and sign Walker when they know he'll be past his prime by the end of the deal?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CyJack13

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27061860/rockets-shop-capela-gordon-space

Should be a pretty healthy trade market for either player, especially Capela. He's an ascending big man with a very reasonable contract that keeps him locked up through the 22-23 season. His kryptonite has been the Warriors , and with them in flux now I'm a little surprised Houston is interested in moving him.

How does having Jimmy Butler in place of Capela, Gordon and Tucker make them better? I get trying to move Paul to acquire Butler but giving up three quality guys to bring in Butler seems like a step back to me.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
How does having Jimmy Butler in place of Capela, Gordon and Tucker make them better? I get trying to move Paul to acquire Butler but giving up three quality guys to bring in Butler seems like a step back to me.

Yeah, I think Daryl Morey is trying a little too hard here. For sure you want to retain at least either Tucker or Capela. And even if Jimmy Butler is as good as advertised (I think he's good but mildly overrated) he's a divisive presence in a locker room that's reportedly already having chemistry issues. Why else would a talented player already on his third team in less than two years be potentially moving onto his fourth?

I'd be really careful of shaking things up solely for the sake of it. Let someone else overpay for Butler and the accompanying headaches. Worst case scenario you tweak the roster and run it back one last time in 2019 while the only team that had previously posed a hurdle before is down.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

This is funny and hits too close to home all at once. I can recall too many family trips up to the Twin Cities where we stopped in Northwood and then again in Albert Lea fifteen minutes later because someone had to pee or get something to eat or drink. As any self respecting dad would, I die a little inside every time I lose ten minutes on a road trip.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Eh, they're regular season awards. He ended up with a pretty good consolation prize. Malone did really good work in Denver and deserved his nomination. I could buy swapping out a Doc for a Nurse, though.

Kawhi missed 21 games and Lowry missed 17 and we were still 2 games away from the best record in the league. Best coach in the regular season as well as the playoffs.

Reactions: heitclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This is funny and hits too close to home all at once. I can recall too many family trips up to the Twin Cities where we stopped in Northwood and then again in Albert Lea fifteen minutes later because someone had to pee or get something to eat or drink. As any self respecting dad would, I die a little inside every time I lose ten minutes on a road trip.

LeBron is going to use up all of his nine live if he has to drag JR to the Finals again.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Kawhi missed 21 games and Lowry missed 17 and we were still 2 games away from the best record in the league. Best coach in the regular season as well as the playoffs.

He has a solid case for sure. But I wouldn't have taken Malone or Bud off the list to make room for him. I could certainly be convinced that he was a more deserving candidate than Doc Rivers, though.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

He took over a 59 win team that swapped Derozan for Kawhi and won fewer games. There's your anti-Nurse COY argument.

• Funny
Reactions: IASTATE07

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
He took over a 59 win team that swapped Derozan for Kawhi and won fewer games. There's your anti-Nurse COY argument.

But he also had to integrate a guy who didn't seem all that excited about being in Toronto, get Lowry to buy in after his running mate got traded away, and deal with the relatively new "load management" concept. There's the pro-Nurse COY argument. But like I said, of the three guys who were candidates the only one I'd bump to make room for him is Doc Rivers. The other two guys were both very deserving of the regular season award.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: CloneFan4

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
But he also had to integrate a guy who didn't seem all that excited about being in Toronto, get Lowry to buy in after his running mate got traded away, and deal with the relatively new "load management" concept. There's the pro-Nurse COY argument. But like I said, of the three guys who were candidates the only one I'd bump to make room for him is Doc Rovers. The other two guys were both very deserving of the regular season award.

I think he's a good coach, and did an extremely impressive job this season, which is a very obvious statement given that they won the title in his first year. But I don't have a problem with any of three guys who were nominated over him based on the regular season. Nurse did a lot of his work last year as an assistant too, modernizing Toronto's offense that carried over to this season.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think he's a good coach, and did an extremely impressive job this season, which is a very obvious statement given that they won the title in his first year. But I don't have a problem with any of three guys who were nominated over him based on the regular season. Nurse did a lot of his work last year as an assistant too, modernizing Toronto's offense that carried over to this season.

Sure. It looks like an egregious error in hindsight, but the voting for this stuff takes place long before the playoffs are over. If you're only looking at the regular season then yeah, he's deserving but so are a bunch of other guys. And it's just not that big of a deal anyway. The 17-18 COY was rewarded by getting fired.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I know the playoffs don't really matter for these awards but Nurse proved himself head to head in the ECF, he coached circles around Bud when it mattered. The Bucks offense had no adjustments for what Nurse and Co threw at them the last 3 games of that series. Offensively, they were exposed in that series, it'll be interesting to see how they adjust. Teams will try to copy what the Raps did.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I know the playoffs don't really matter for these awards but Nurse proved himself head to head in the ECF, he coached circles around Bud when it mattered. The Bucks offense had no adjustments for what Nurse and Co threw at them the last 3 games of that series. Offensively, they were exposed in that series, it'll be interesting to see how they adjust. Teams will try to copy what the Raps did.

They really should wait until the end of the playoffs to announce candidates. Pretty embarrassing that the last two winners were eliminated from the playoffs by being out coached horrendously

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

The easiest adjustment is Giannis gets a jumper and then...good luck scheming against that at all.

Help Support Us

Become a patron