***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
What’s the downside to offering one of these grad transfers ?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/shawn-williams-4.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ahmed-ali-1.html

If they suck, fine whatever they’re gone in a year. Prohm has rolled the dice on less proven players than these two

If I was in charge...

I would survey what is available in terms of sit-out guys. I am basically building for 2021-2022 at this point, so if you think a sit-out guy moves the talent needle after a year of development (and given the edge he would have in experience and familiarity with the program over a freshman), then try to get him to virtual Ames and get him to commit.

Having another guy like Javan Johnson, who we have not seen play in a Cyclone uniform but we are hoping is at least an average Big 12 starter, coming off a redshirt the year after next would be really useful. Try not to reach if he is Prentiss Nixon again, but if he could be a contributor in the Big 12, pull the trigger on this guy.

Save the last one for a midyear (and yeah, I know that market is small and has tough competition) or just bank it for another freshman for next year. Again, you are building for 2021-2022 at this point, so you might as well lean into that strategy.

Part of me says we should have taken Buggs, but it sounds like he had very unreasonable expectations for his role. I wish he would have been more reasonable about that (e.g., your job is to be depth and a locker room guy, not a star or even a starter). If he would have been like that, then I would have been glad to have had him.

Reactions: heitclone

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Certainly try to grab this kid if you can, I do think he will leave if he doesn’t get the waiver and head overseas to play but hey we got open scholarships so sign him up!

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

St. John's leading scorer and best player. Averaged 14.5 points both years there. Career 49% shooter from the 2 and 37% shooter from beyond the arc. Not a great FT shooter (65%).

He attacks the rim very well, he's a very good rebounder as he averaged 5.4 total rebounds a game at 6'6". On defense he was extremely active. Averaged 1.9 steals, which would've easily been 2nd most on last year's Iowa State team (Tyrese averaged 2.5, Rasir was 2nd at 1.1).

From a talent standpoint, it's an absolute no-brainer. He'd certainly push for being a leading scorer on next year's team. A move the needle type guy for sure, however there could be some questions regarding his chemistry with the team. With that being said, I don't think you worry about that at this point. He's flat out good. His play style is the type of guy we need.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I would wager someone transferring from a college located in Queens New York has a very good chance at a waiver
Yeah I reckon he'd have a great shot at getting the waiver because of that. Didn't some guy already get a waiver who was from a hot spot area?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
As compared to BDJ....J. McCay or THT? Is that what is the concern or is there someone already on the team he has crossed wires with?
I don't think it has anything to do with anyone currently on the team. I know that he was going to transfer two years ago before ultimately returning to St. Johns, however that was mostly due to the departure of Chris Mullin I believe. He struggled a bit under Mike Anderson as he was the premier player on that team.

If I had to choose the comparative player from the list you gave me above, I'd say more like THT. From reading about him, it seemed like he pressed a lot last year to be the star and struggled at times in doing so. Even with that being said, if Iowa State is in position to land him, we should. He's a stud and after reading an article from a St. John's writer, he explains the Red Storm is going to miss his defense more than his offense.

"Everyone seems focused on Figueroa’s loss from an offensive standpoint, since he was the most established threat on the roster. But I think his defense will be missed more. He led the Big East in steals at 1.9 per game. His length and nose for the ball were key assets in coach Mike Anderson’s pressing style. St. John’s will now be losing arguably its two best perimeter defenders in Figueroa and Nick Rutherford, who graduated. Together, they averaged 3.7 steals per game, a major factor in the Johnnies forcing 16.8 turnovers per game, 13th-most in the country."

Get him on campus and figure it out later.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
What do you think about LJ?

He'd be an obvious take and be a home run to fill a role with ISU as the B12 top half SF. ISU has a scholly to burn if need be and LJ would be a top 10 off season transfer if not for the issues.

That said there there is a bunch of risk here from the staff seemly only looking now out of desperation w/o previous recruiting connections I'm aware of, possibility he heads over seas regardless, and the obvious waiver situation of NYC to Ames (though I think his camp is convinced he's going to get one due to NYC virus #'s).
Really though it is the same situation as Gach, thus if you can get LJ you do and see how it plays out.