***Official 2018 Transfer Thread***

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
He’s been injured for almost all of that. Imo he got worn down playing nearly 40 minutes as our exclusive ball-handler and best defender in the half-court. Injuries and fatigue are universally accepted reasons for shooting issues. Moreover, he was not taking a lot of good 3Ps as a product of our offense working.

It’s not about the lacking good passers, it’s about making the correct pass at the correct time. Although, we have a guard right now that struggles to make those simple passes even if attempted.

lol that's what a good passer is. We need more of them.

I assume you're referring to Wigginton? He has shown he can make the right pass. He had a great pass after getting stopped in the lane against KSU. He kicked out to a wide open Jackson who nailed the three. He needs to understand that that pass can be his primary option instead of going for the rim at all costs. Hopefully Prohm works with him this offseason on those types of decisions.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Babb is below 25% in Big 12 play. He's made 6 threes in that time. I'm not sold on him being a decent 3P shooter, but it's hard to tell with the injury.

Babb is a good passer. THT is a good passer. Wigginton has shown some awareness and ability but gets tunnel vision too often and is too lackadaisical. I'm not sure what Shayok brings. It seems like he is more under control than Wigginton and obviously has more experience.

I'm not a big fan of Prohm's baseline action, but it might be who is running it. We set terrible screens, and Jackson isn't equipped to do anything if he's not open coming off the screen. Maybe Shayok is more effective in that role because of his ability to turn the corner and force help.

It's difficult to assess because our talent is so far off right now.

He only shoots it when he has to, which is his problem. Anyone's percentage will suffer under those conditions.

Beyond that, the problem I see is in spacing. No problem whatsoever with talent next year.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
That’s an antiquated view imo. There is more upside and stability with transfer recruiting being part of the base, a couple every year.

You don’t make six tournaments in a row without transfer recruiting being a part of your base. Even with high school guys you’ll always have holes and needs, ebb and flow on the roster, if not more so because you’re projecting several years out on kids rather a year or two out with guys that have a college sample.

You must have taken the fill in with transfers and read that as no transfers.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
He only shoots it when he has to, which is his problem. Anyone's percentage will suffer under those conditions.

Beyond that, the problem I see is in spacing. No problem whatsoever with talent next year.

Maybe because he knows he's not a good shooter? All I know is after watching Devonte Graham make OU his ***** last night, I miss having a PG that can hit a three.

• Dislike
Reactions: wing59

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
lol that's what a good passer is. We need more of them.

I assume you're referring to Wigginton? He has shown he can make the right pass. He had a great pass after getting stopped in the lane against KSU. He kicked out to a wide open Jackson who nailed the three. He needs to understand that that pass can be his primary option instead of going for the rim at all costs. Hopefully Prohm works with him this offseason on those types of decisions.
No, that’s what good offense is. Trae Young is a good passer, but that doesn’t mean they had good offense last night. But if you want to go with that, then we don’t have good passers except for probably NWB. Showing you can occasionally make the pass isn’t much. Most of the needed passes I’m referring to walkons could put on their reel.

The reason we’re not playing Hoiball is more than a material problem. Prohm has a lot of work to do.

Reactions: rholtgraves

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Maybe because he knows he's not a good shooter? All I know is after watching Devonte Graham make OU his ***** last night, I miss having a PG that can hit a three.

32% on the year isn't great, but I'd be willing to bet that more than a quarter of those shots are late/have to take it shots. He was much better early (all around) when he was able to be explosive with his knee. Burning people to the hoop will open up your shots on the arc. He hasn't been able to burn people for a while (part of that is also the way teams started to defend him and our inability to make them pay for the double team). He isn't going to make 75 threes as he's just not that aggressive, but I'd bet that he can get his percentage up to high 30's or 40 with better shot selection and hunting his shot just a little.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You must have taken the fill in with transfers and read that as no transfers.
No, I read part were you explicitly didn’t include transfers as part of the base, but as a fill-in.

Speculating on high school kids as your base doesn’t lead to more upside and stability, but less.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Is that you Francis? #therightway

Hardly. I think the last two classes of high school kids has been fantastic, and we have filled in well for next year with transfers. No one is saying we shouldn't. Fred pioneered that process and did well with it, but transfer recruiting has changed. A healthy mix can give us exactly what we need, with more consistency.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Babb is tough to judge since he's played two completely different roles from last year to this one. The teams are really different. Plus, he's been injured.

He's a gifted player and has been valuable running the point, but I don't see him hitting more than one or two threes a game if he's running the point. I don't know that he'll add that confidence level to his arsenal, but he could be a real difference maker if he can knock down 3-4 threes/game with what he's been doing. He's proven that he can break a defender down, but he hasn't really shown that he can knock down that outside shot enough to keep opposing defenses from learning how to defend him.

With Wigginton at the point, our offense plays a little faster, but a little less composed. Again, a lot of it is a product of all of our injuries and personnel this year. We've had some games where a little chaos has worked for us, but it's also worked against us.

I'm glad I'm just a fan of this team and not a coach. There are gonna be a lot of pieces of the puzzle to put together this year and next year. If a few can develop, we could see a huge jump in number of wins.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He's a gifted player and has been valuable running the point, but I don't see him hitting more than one or two threes a game if he's running the point. I don't know that he'll add that confidence level to his arsenal, but he could be a real difference maker if he can knock down 3-4 threes/game with what he's been doing. He's proven that he can break a defender down, but he hasn't really shown that he can knock down that outside shot enough to keep opposing defenses from learning how to defend him.

With Wigginton at the point, our offense plays a little faster, but a little less composed. Again, a lot of it is a product of all of our injuries and personnel this year. We've had some games where a little chaos has worked for us, but it's also worked against us.
Your expectations are too high for even the best shooters. The most any Cyclone has averaged per game in the last 7 years is 2.8 3P/gm. DJ is going to set records this year at 3/gm. Just averaging between 1.0 to 1.5 would be good enough on a decent percentage.

We don’t know if we play faster with Wigginton. The only game that’s been the case is OU, and that’s likely a product of OU, not Wigginton. Plus, let’s not forget how fast NWB was early this year and late last year.

NWB is near the bottom of our list of issues on offense, if not off the list altogether. We’ve had success with guards and facilitators shooting less than you’d want. Morris, Thomas, Naz, Georges, Nader, Clyburn, and Chris Babb all had prolonged conference play struggles with their outside shot.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think next year you going to be looking at several guys being able to handle the ball. Wigginton will be way better setting things up, Babb will be back and hopefully healthy and I think they will run things through Shayok as well.

You could conceivably be looking at a lineup (when we have the opportunity to go small) of:

NWB
Wigginton
Talley
THT
Shayok

All five of which could initiate the offense.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Your expectations are too high for even the best shooters. The most any Cyclone has averaged per game in the last 7 years is 2.8 3P/gm. DJ is going to set records this year at 3/gm. Just averaging between 1.0 to 1.5 would be good enough on a decent percentage.

We don’t know if we play faster with Wigginton. The only game that’s been the case is OU, and that’s likely a product of OU, not Wigginton. Plus, let’s not forget how fast NWB was early this year and late last year.

NWB is near the bottom of our list of issues on offense, if not off the list altogether. We’ve had success with guards and facilitators shooting less than you’d want. Morris, Thomas, Naz, Georges, Nader, Clyburn, and Chris Babb all had prolonged conference play struggling with their outside shot.

Yeah, I didn't word that right. I didn't mean for him to average 3-4 a game (although that would be extraordinary). I just meant it would be nice for Nick to have the occasional game where he knocks down 3 or 4. Just the threat of having a PG that can burn you is good enough. Having watched a couple defenders jump his passes lately, it's become apparent that they aren't respecting his outside shot.

I think he's really capable of taking over a game. I am not a Babb-hater by any stretch. I'd just like to see him healthy playing with healthy players again. This injury stuff is for the birds.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron