***Official 2018 Transfer Thread***

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If a scholarship opens up, I would be in favor of grabbing a high level sit out guard.This also assumes Tyler Harris is off the table which he may not be in a month. Obviously thinking v far in advance here but there's a possibility we could lose our entire starting back court after next year.

IF a roster spot opens up... and I am so not sure there is going to be one (and, yes I realize that is uncommon in current college MBB landscape).
I'd agree T. Harris would be the priority, followed by a sit out highly sought after transfer or bank it for a mid year. I don't see the staff going after a post grad transfer to impact the roster next year or just picking up a 7-8th rotation type.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
IF a roster spot opens up... and I am so not sure there is going to be one (and, yes I realize that is uncommon in current college MBB landscape).
I'd agree T. Harris would be the priority, followed by a sit out highly sought after transfer or bank it for a mid year. I don't see the staff going after a post grad transfer to impact the roster next year or just picking up a 7-8th rotation type.

Yeah there's really just not a need for a grad transfer. I know some have pondered bringing in a true PG or a knockdown shooter, but I don't think who you're going to get will be worth seeing time over the current projected top 8. Seems like it would be a perfect opportunity to add a sit out transfer (or ideally Ty Harris).

• Agree
Reactions: LLCoolCY

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
https://www.clarionledger.com/story...te-talk-post-andy-kennedy-ole-miss/350509002/

Tyree will be a junior next season but was non-committal about his future.

“Obviously, I’m keeping my options 100 percent open because, at the end of the day, I have to do what’s best for me," he said. "I came to Ole Miss to be a Rebel. I love the university. Depending on the coaches they bring in, I’ll definitely look in. I’m not saying I’m transferring, I’m not saying I'm staying. I’m just keeping my options open.”

6-2 190lb guard
9.7 ppg 2.1 rpg 2.6 apg in 23.7 mpg 38% from 3
When does that new transfer rule come in play?

DeAndre Burnett will be possibly grad transferring from Ole Miss. 6’2” pg/combo averaging 15ppg, 4.5 apg, 38% from 3, and 6 FTA/gm (shooting 82%).
24% usage compared to 23% for Tyree.

Reactions: Messi

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
When does that new transfer rule come in play?

DeAndre Burnett is a possibility from Ole Miss. 6’2” pg/combo averaging 15ppg, 4.5 apg, 38% from 3, and 6 FTA/gm (shooting 82%).
24% usage compared to 23% for Tyree.

Burnett is probably graduating anyway, since he's already transferred once, so I don't think the rule change would matter, would it?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Burnett is probably graduating anyway, since he's already transferred once, so I don't think the rule change would matter, would it?
I would think.

That rule change being in place this offseason in someways would be huge for us, as we have needs next year, but really need a guard for the following year. However, that also means the market for those guys goes up. It’s probably pointless anyways as according to some on CF it’s just too hard to transfer recruit anymore ;)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yeah there's really just not a need for a grad transfer. I know some have pondered bringing in a true PG or a knockdown shooter, but I don't think who you're going to get will be worth seeing time over the current projected top 8. Seems like it would be a perfect opportunity to add a sit out transfer (or ideally Ty Harris).

I think there's better potential for shooters for next year with Wigginton, if Lewis can get it going, Long can continue his shooting with more takes, if Nick will shoot it more often than just when he has to, along with THT's ability there. We'll miss DJ, but I think having a higher number of moderately effective shooters will help open things up more in the middle.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
i don't see us as being a major player in the transfer market anymore.

not a focus for prohm, and the market is now way more competitive.

Prohm has been heavily involved with the transfer market and taken multiple every year of his tenure, He is on record that he will take every avenue to get talent to Ames. ISU being less active in the spring player market this particular year is more about the roster construction and taking 4 high school players.
The roster for each year will dictate how active on Transfers the Staff will be in the future.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Prohm has been heavily involved with the transfer market and taken multiple every year of his tenure, He is on record that he will take every avenue to get talent to Ames. ISU being less active in the spring player market this particular year is more about the roster construction and taking 4 high school players.
The roster for each year will dictate how active on Transfers the Staff will be in the future.

I think prohm just said he'd still go for transfers early on to not freak everyone out and not rock the boat early in his tenure. to me, he's clearly a high school/long term guy and his high school recruiting has been oustanding.

this year we were desperate for bodies so we took who we could get (talley/brase/beverly), got jacobson after we missed on morrow, and landed a stud in shayok as a 1 yr guy.

given how well prohm recruits and our better class balance, I don't see us being a major player going forward for transfers. will we take one here and there? sure, but the days of lining up transfers to visit are over. IMHO.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think prohm just said he'd still go for transfers early on to not freak everyone out and not rock the boat early in his tenure. to me, he's clearly a high school/long term guy and his high school recruiting has been oustanding.

this year we were desperate for bodies so we took who we could get (talley/brase/beverly), got jacobson after we missed on morrow, and landed a stud in shayok as a 1 yr guy.

given how well prohm recruits and our better class balance, I don't see us being a major player going forward for transfers. will we take one here and there? sure, but the days of lining up transfers to visit are over. IMHO.

So despite taking transfers every year and landing two good transfers in Shayok and Jacobson now they are going to stop? I think the 3 grad transfers was an outlier this year but they will definitely be looking to get transfers. If you aren't doing that, then you are missing out on an entire recruiting market. It is just dumb business not to.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Of course it depends on how many spots we have available (maybe one, two at the most), I don’t think I would pass up a good shooter grad transfer.

More likely though I could see us taking a sit out transfer.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I think there's better potential for shooters for next year with Wigginton, if Lewis can get it going, Long can continue his shooting with more takes, if Nick will shoot it more often than just when he has to, along with THT's ability there. We'll miss DJ, but I think having a higher number of moderately effective shooters will help open things up more in the middle.

That's awfully scary. That's literally zero proven shooters. As we've seen this season, we desperately need guys that can create offense on their own, whether it's getting to the hoop or hitting contested threes. If we're relying on that list to do it, I'm worried.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
That's awfully scary. That's literally zero proven shooters. As we've seen this season, we desperately need guys that can create offense on their own, whether it's getting to the hoop or hitting contested threes. If we're relying on that list to do it, I'm worried.

Wigginton is a proven shooter. Babb is a good shooter that just doesn't shoot enough of the open shots. Long is 8 of 15. Not a huge sample size, but still a good sign. Lewis drains it like Matt Thomas in practice, just needs to carry it over to the floor. THT looks like a very capable guy from deep and has enough moves that people can't squat on him out on the arc. It's not Hoiball by any stretch, but I think it will likely be better than this year mainly because the threats will be more spread around rather than concentrated in two guys.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I prefer building the team's base with HS kids and filling in holes with transfers. I think the ceiling is higher, and so is program stability.
That’s an antiquated view imo. There is more upside and stability with transfer recruiting being part of the base, a couple every year.

You don’t make six tournaments in a row without transfer recruiting being a part of your base. Even with high school guys you’ll always have holes and needs, ebb and flow on the roster, if not more so because you’re projecting several years out on kids rather a year or two out with guys that have a college sample.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Wigginton is a proven shooter. Babb is a good shooter that just doesn't shoot enough of the open shots. Long is 8 of 15. Not a huge sample size, but still a good sign. Lewis drains it like Matt Thomas in practice, just needs to carry it over to the floor. THT looks like a very capable guy from deep and has enough moves that people can't squat on him out on the arc. It's not Hoiball by any stretch, but I think it will likely be better than this year mainly because the threats will be more spread around rather than concentrated in two guys.

I agree other than Babb. Obviously injury is involved, but his outside shot looks broken.

Not going to lie, I miss Hoiball. Hopefully Wigginton can become more consistent and THT/Shayok can be 35+%. I'm not counting on anything from Long or Lewis at this point. I think Griffin is a wild card.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I agree other than Babb. Obviously injury is involved, but his outside shot looks broken.

Not going to lie, I miss Hoiball. Hopefully Wigginton can become more consistent and THT/Shayok can be 35+%. I'm not counting on anything from Long or Lewis at this point. I think Griffin is a wild card.
NWB is a good enough outside shooter when he’s not taking bad shots and healthy. We’ve had success with several starting guards shooting in his range, and that’s with him being forced to take ill-advised 3Ps because no one is open.

But to your point about missing Hoiball, it’s the movement and shot-selection I’m worried about more than the shooters. Our shot chart isn’t ideal, nor is our passing and moving without the ball. We do a lot of dribbling just to get tough twos. We don’t feed the post well at all or utilize mismatches. Does this get better adding guys like Wigginton but that are likely worse shooters? We may have redundancy issues if we don’t learn to move and pass.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
NWB is a good enough outside shooter when he’s not taking bad shots and healthy. We’ve had success with several starting guards shoot in his range, and that’s with him being forced to take ill-advised 3Ps because no one is open.

But to your point about missing Hoiball, it’s the movement and shot-selection I’m worried about more than the shooters. Our shot chart isn’t ideal, nor is our passing and moving without the ball. We do a lot of dribbling just to get tough twos. We don’t feed the post well at all or utilize mismatches. Does this get better adding guys like Wigginton but that are likely worse shooters? We may have redundancy issues if we don’t learn to move and pass.

Babb is below 25% in Big 12 play. He's made 6 threes in that time. I'm not sold on him being a decent 3P shooter, but it's hard to tell with the injury.

Babb is a good passer. THT is a good passer. Wigginton has shown some awareness and ability but gets tunnel vision too often and is too lackadaisical. I'm not sure what Shayok brings. It seems like he is more under control than Wigginton and obviously has more experience.

I'm not a big fan of Prohm's baseline action, but it might be who is running it. We set terrible screens, and Jackson isn't equipped to do anything if he's not open coming off the screen. Maybe Shayok is more effective in that role because of his ability to turn the corner and force help.

It's difficult to assess because our talent is so far off right now.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Babb is below 25% in Big 12 play. He's made 6 threes in that time. I'm not sold on him being a decent 3P shooter, but it's hard to tell with the injury.

Babb is a good passer. THT is a good passer. Wigginton has shown some awareness and ability but gets tunnel vision too often and is too lackadaisical. I'm not sure what Shayok brings. It seems like he is more under control than Wigginton and obviously has more experience.

I'm not a big fan of Prohm's baseline action, but it might be who is running it. We set terrible screens, and Jackson isn't equipped to do anything if he's not open coming off the screen. Maybe Shayok is more effective in that role because of his ability to turn the corner and force help.

It's difficult to assess because our talent is so far off right now.
He’s been injured for almost all of that. Imo he got worn down playing nearly 40 minutes as our exclusive ball-handler and best defender in the half-court. Injuries and fatigue are universally accepted reasons for shooting issues. Moreover, he was not taking a lot of good 3Ps as a product of our offense working.

It’s not about the lacking good passers, it’s about making the correct pass at the correct time. Although, we have a guard right now that struggles to make those simple passes even if attempted.

• Agree
Reactions: CubsClones1

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I wouldn't expect THT's outside shooting to be really good next year (then again I would of said the same thing a year ago about Lindell). I expect him to be more of a streaky outside shooter who shoots closer to 35% from three. He will certainly be a threat from deep though and an elite offensive player overall likely sooner rather than later imo.