***Official 2013 Bracketology Thread***

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Here's a conservative look at how things turn out.

Win just one of these four:
vs. Kansas
@ K-State
@ Oklahoma
@ Oklahoma State

Lose any four of these seven:
@ Texas
@ West Virginia
@ Baylor
vs. K-State
vs. Oklahoma
vs. Oklahoma State
vs. Baylor

Sweep TCU and Texas Tech.

That is a pretty damn terrible showing... but it's still 20-11 (10-8).

I don't see ISU possibly doing any worse than being close to the bubble at the end of the season. Even with this near-worst case scenario, two wins in KC would give us a shot.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
If we sweep this week we will be at least in a tie for second place in the conference. KSU beats KU and there could be a tie for 1st in the works.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

vs. Kansas
@ K-State
@ Oklahoma
@ Oklahoma State

@ Texas
@ West Virginia
@ Baylor
vs. K-State
vs. Oklahoma
vs. Oklahoma State
vs. Baylor

I don't see ISU possibly doing any worse than being close to the bubble at the end of the season. Even with this near-worst case scenario, two wins in KC would give us a shot.

That would be nowhere near the bubble.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
That would be nowhere near the bubble.

Sure, 22-12 would be.

The four teams that just barely made it in on the right side of the bubble last year were BYU, Iona, South Florida, and Cal. Cal was in an absolutely horrible major conference - worse than the Big 12 this year - and finished 24-10. South Florida was 22-14.

Like I said, it's not a sure thing (that's what bubble means), but my point is that it looks like it would almost be difficult for ISU to miss the tournament, given the schedule and performances of the teams so far.

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
we need to limit our expectations people. As of right now, we are not making the tourney, but there are plenty of opportunities for us to get some big wins coming up

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

vs. Kansas
@ K-State
@ Oklahoma
@ Oklahoma State

@ Texas
@ West Virginia
@ Baylor
vs. K-State
vs. Oklahoma
vs. Oklahoma State
vs. Baylor

I like how that looks. Should be our worst case unless we pull an Illinois.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Man I hate phone typing, bottom part starting with I like is mine ^^^^

Last edited:

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
As of today, Joe Lunardi Bracketology has the Cyclones as a 10 seed playing the dreaded play-in game with Illinois. The winner gets paired with a definate beatable San Diego State team..

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
As of today, Joe Lunardi Bracketology has the Cyclones as a 10 seed playing the dreaded play-in game with Illinois. The winner gets paired with a definate beatable San Diego State team..

Seems strange that the 10 seed would be a play-in game. Lunardi must have very few auto bid teams with seeds better than 10.

I don't want a play-in game, but I would rather have a 10 seed than an 8 or a 9. Facing a #1 seed in the second game is brutal, as we know from last season

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
considering we had to play kentucky in louisville last year, i'd be willing to bet serious $$ we get a bracket with louisville in lexington. louisville will end up as a 2 and we'll get a 7.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

If you look at his whole bracket, ISU is the lowest seeded of 6 Big 12 teams. I don't believe the conference will get 6 teams in this year. It is just not that strong. Plus, conferences like the Mountain West are doing well this year. It's possible that conference will get in 4 teams, maybe even 5.

However, I also don't see Baylor and OSU finishing ahead of ISU in the Big 12, from what I have seen of them so far this year. ISU has to figure out a way to better contend with other team's bigs, but if they can do that......I think they can finish no lower than 4th in the conference, and maybe get as high as an 8 seed.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I'm just happy that our program is already to a point (in just 3 years) that were talking about being in the NCAA tourney and what our seed will be instead of looking for moral wins and possibly finishing .500 in conference play. We've come along ways since McDermotts last season at Iowa State. Its exciting times!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This thread is total win. Thanks to everyone that posts the linkys it makes my life so much easier.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Seems strange that the 10 seed would be a play-in game. Lunardi must have very few auto bid teams with seeds better than 10.

It's unusual, for sure.

One factor is he now has So. Miss in as C-USA auto bid, at 13 seed, with Memphis as at-large in 11 play-in. Still, I'm not sure why Boise, for example, would be alone on 11 line instead of moving ISU or Illinois to one of those spots as a play-in. Seems like it would start at the lowest seed lines possible.

I can understand how Temple got an 11 by itself, in his bracket arrangement, without ISU there -- avoids potential matchup with in-conference (KSU) in second round.