OFF THE RECORD: Royce White

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The most interesting thing he said was he didn't want to go the NBA after his year at ISU but Fred convinced him to go

Whoever decided it was time for him to go was right. His stock was never going to be higher than it was following his tourney run that year.

If that was the case, Fred was doing him a favor. He made millions. He sold himself high. If he really wanted to finish his degree, it would be there later.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
He was not saying that he wants to dictate the amount of beer that people drink at a sporting event, but rather bringing to light the hypocrisy in some of the things that the NBA does, while trying to maintain this persona that they are doing everything in their power for the betterment of the athlete.

He just used beer at sporting events because it is something that all professional events have in common.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman and Bigman38

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

Javinegli

Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
This seemed like a very difficult interview to conduct. He is also not pleased how his story is being portrayed, even through his eyes.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I love hearing from Royce, but he is difficult to listen to. Nearly impossible. And I really, really, WANT to hear what he has to say. But, he bloviates.

EDIT TO ADD: Point being, this detracts from his actual message.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isubett and Malone

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Royce doesn't seem to have a category in his worldview for personal responsibility. The system, the "man", the authority always seems to be the guilty party.

The NBA shouldn't use their authority to keep him out of the league because he's too much of a distraction, but the NBA should use their authority to limit the number of drinks a person can have at a game because it could influence kids? Not sure how this is a consistent view.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Man he goes on some tangents. I didn’t make it all the way through, but the amount of actual questions had to be in single digits for 50 minutes of talking.

One thing I haven’t heard from him is a solution, or solutions. I’d like to hear what he has to say. His criticisms are tolerable, but what are the fixes?

He talks about jimmy butler and how he shouldn’t have said that publicly about Fred, but on the other hand he publicly yells at the commissioner of his sport in the middle of a game.

And he compares his talent to Anthony Davis? Oh boy. That was my cue to leave.

Reactions: JBone84

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I didn't listen for the very reason people that did are saying. I wish him well, have experienced mental health issues from family members, and don't really care what he says.

cyclones360

Oct 26, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
I thought it was interesting how he also more or less said he's better than Kawhi Leonard because he was ranked higher than him coming out of high school and fell into the hands of a hall of fame coach.
Man he goes on some tangents. I didn’t make it all the way through, but the amount of actual questions had to be in single digits for 50 minutes of talking.

One thing I haven’t heard from him is a solution, or solutions. I’d like to hear what he has to say. His criticisms are tolerable, but what are the fixes?

He talks about jimmy butler and how he shouldn’t have said that publicly about Fred, but on the other hand he publicly yells at the commissioner of his sport in the middle of a game.

And he compares his talent to Anthony Davis? Oh boy. That was my cue to leave.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Feel like this is a nice way to say full of it
In a way yeah. Mostly just the way that he talks in general, it's like he wants to come off as this huge intellectual. The problem is that he loses his train of thought in the process and goes off on unnecessary tangents. It detracts from his message big time.

He definitely has a lot of really good things to say. It just needs to be presented more concisely.

I honestly come out of that podcast more confused than I was going in. What is he really looking to do?

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I thought it was interesting how he also more or less said he's better than Kawhi Leonard because he was ranked higher than him coming out of high school and fell into the hands of a hall of fame coach.

I think I skipped out before that part. But I thought you couldn’t compare the two because of different positions!

I mean he really walked back on the “top 5 in the world” comment and basically said he plays a position that no one else does so that’s what he meant....and then says he’s nearly as good as Anthony Davis in the next sentence. Crazy.

isubett

Jan 28, 2015
What does he want to be changed? Specifically, what actions could the Rockets or the NBA have taken to make Royce happy? It is clear he is not happy how things went but it is hard for me to feel sorry for him. The guy signed a contract for $1.5M/year. Why couldn't he pay for whatever help he needed to play in the NBA? He likes to hear himself talk but he spends too much time saying nothing. I wish I could have kept track of the number of made-up words he used.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91