Oakley sunglasses

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
So I just ordered a new pair of sunglasses from Oakley (Radars) and an extra lens. I have more than enough money to pay for them, but my bank account is showing a second charge to Oakley for an extra $120, and I can't figure out where that came from. I'm calling Oakley customer support in the morning to hopefully get everything straightened out, but I was wondering if anyone here had ever had a similar experience when ordering online from Oakley.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
IDK about Oakley, but I just ordered goggles from Smith Optics this weekend and on my online account it was posted twice while still in the "pending" phase. After it actually posted today, it was only charged once.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If you just did it I assume it's just a memo posting? If so it'll likely just fall off in a day or so.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I have a nephew named Oakley. Prior to his arrival in this world, my sister asked her husband what he'd like to name the baby (since she named their first son). He took off his sunglasses, looked at the brand and said - "Oakley, that's a good name." But TM, no, I haven't purchased any Oakley glasses - sorry for the digression.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I have a nephew named Oakley. Prior to his arrival in this world, my sister asked her husband what he'd like to name the baby (since she named their first son). He took off his sunglasses, looked at the brand and said - "Oakley, that's a good name." But TM, no, I haven't purchased any Oakley glasses - sorry for the digression.
Tell him I'm sorry.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If you found a pair of Oakley's down by the Hunziker Sports Complex soccer fields in Ames last week they're mine, give them back you son of a *****.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
humblebrag? lol

More of a ****** off brag, since it's also put a hold on my debit card, which prevented me from buying groceries after getting off work tonight. I'm not on the verge of starving or anything, but it was incredibly annoying/embarrassing.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
55070260.jpg

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I would never buy a pair of Oakleys. There is a strong relationship between the amount I spend on a pair of sunglasses and the speed with which I lose them. If I bought a pair of Oakleys I'd lose the damn things on the way to the truck from the store I bought them in. I buy a $10 pair of sunglasses from a gas station and I could throw them in the grand canyon and by the time I got home they would be waiting for me on the dresser.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
I have never been able to figure out what is so great about oakley's that people will spend so much on them.

They are quality sunglasses with a bunch of styles. They are overpriced but you are buying the brand.

They do give a hefty discount to military and police.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I have never been able to figure out what is so great about oakley's that people will spend so much on them.

Because they don't break if you're not stupid with them. Plus since they're so expensive I tend not to leave them in random places, losing them. I've bought cheap gas station glasses before - usually a week or two for my big head to snap them. The last pair of Oakleys, on the other hand, I've been wearing for 8 years.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014

Myself, I'm not an Oakley-owner. I am, however, a loyal Smith shopper. If someone is in a position where they're wearing sunglasses (or any eyewear) every single day for several hours, spending more money for a product that will last, stand up to wear and tear, and filters light to protect your eyes is completely worth it IMO.

My day-to-day sunglasses, biking sunglasses, and ski goggles are all Smith. I think in the last four years I've had all Smith eyewear except for one pair of Natives that fogged up as soon as I started to sweat on bike rides. Oakleys fit weird on my face (I've tried sunglasses and goggles). I work outside year-round and in the summer ride my bike for about 2 hours after work, so having a solid, quality item is essential.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
If you like Oakleys I would get a part time job at Scheels or another sporting goods store. The employee programs that Oakley, Asics, Saucony, Rawlings, Mizuno, Easton, etc offer are totally worth it. Usually can get their products for 10-20% off below cost so TM's sunglasses probably would have cost around $45.