No Excuse!

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Darts do you really think that cyclone fans want 6-7 seasons and dont want to win games? Thats just incomprehensible, There is no way that cyclone fans do not want to win games. I agree that something needs to be done to help the team play more consistant and win more games. But its not like everyone spends money to go to the game, donates money to cyclone athletics, and puts on their cardinal and gold day to day to hope that their team can win a few games here and then. Everyone has high expectations of the team but we probably arent going to be competing for a national championship every year. so tell me one thing.... Who would U hire as the new coach to take us to the national championship every year seeing as how everyone seems to be calling for Macs head now that he is 2-0 so far this year.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Correct the sky is falling. Some Cyclone Fans thought we should win the national championship this year. After all, our stadium seats 45,000 people and sometimes we actually sell it out. But our problem is coach Mac. He is the reason why we won't win the national championship this year. We have national championship caliber players and a national championship caliber stadium and fan base, but if only we had a national championship caliber coach to go with it, then thats all we need and we are there. We can get any coach we would want to get too because our budget is also national championship caliber and we can pay someone an unlimited amount to come to the metropolis known as Ames. This is all on Coach Mac. Yet another bowl bound season but no national championship trophy. What a terrible coach.

1) There's not a single person in this thread who's said anything about winning a National Championship. Most of us would be extremely happy with a Big XII North title and an appearance in the conference championship game. Need I remind you that such an appearance was ours for the taking the past two years; all we had to do was beat those powerhouse programs Missouri and Kansas, yet Mac couldn't get it done.
2) Most everybody complaining was present at the game last night, meaning we're doing our part to fill the stadium. We're putting our money and time up to watch quality football; we're not getting our money's worth!
3) Mac's had 11+ years to get this program to the level you joke about. What was the condition of EIU's program when Ferentz was hired?
4) Thanks for illustrating the point that ISU fans are willing to settle for mediocrity. I couldn't have asked for a better witness...

clone33

Apr 13, 2006
SE Iowa
www.espn.go.com
I think we should all take a step back and think about who we're complaining about...MAC!. He is known to get ready for the Iowa game extra hard. The reason we couldn't beat IL St. until late last year was because mac was preparing the team for Iowa the whole time he should have been preparing for the D-1A team. I dont know whether thats true or not but thats what I think is going down. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Todd Blythe get 10 catches in the Iowa game with a few Tds. i wouldnt be surprised at all to see this offense explode and handle the ball the entire game. i wouldn't be surprised at all to see the defense destroy Tate and Co. and not give up a first down all game next week. I wouldnt be surprised at all to see us beat Iowa by a larger margin than our previous two games combined (which, albeit, wouldnt be a comfortable win). i wouldnt be surprised to see Stevie get a 150 yard game. I would bet my house that this ISU team did not see a single tape of Toledo or UNLV before they knew everything about the Iowa game. This is why mac is so sucessful against iowa, he prematurely has the team ready for them. Of Course, this is all my guess and i cant back it up, but it would all make sense.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
1) There's not a single person in this thread who's said anything about winning a National Championship. Most of us would be extremely happy with a Big XII North title and an appearance in the conference championship game. Need I remind you that such an appearance was ours for the taking the past two years; all we had to do was beat those powerhouse programs Missouri and Kansas, yet Mac couldn't get it done.
2) Most everybody complaining was present at the game last night, meaning we're doing our part to fill the stadium. We're putting our money and time up to watch quality football; we're not getting our money's worth!
3) Mac's had 11+ years to get this program to the level you joke about. What was the condition of EIU's program when Ferentz was hired?
4) Thanks for illustrating the point that ISU fans are willing to settle for mediocrity. I couldn't have asked for a better witness...

You completely missed the point. I'm not willing to settle for mediocrity either. But look at the program. How many other programs that have the fan base, stadium size, facilities, budget and recruit caliber that we have EXPECT to win a conference championship of a BCS conference? I would say our team performs at the level that the program around them has enabled them to perform. Actually, I think they perform a little better than that having been on the verge of taking the North the last two years. You use the word "settle". That would indicate we have the option of choosing to have a great program or settling for a mediocre program. Settle is the wrong word. Smallest budget in the Big XII. One of the smallest stadiums in the Big XII that doesn't sell out anyway. I don't care if you bring in the best new coach in the land to ISU tomorrow. The win percentage will not increase until everything surrounding this program also increases.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Great post Darts180. I am a huge cyclone fan, but I no longer want Mac to be the coach of this team. The mindset bothers me too... it get's old as I have been hearing this stuff for years, but yet we seem to forget history and are always okay with this mindset like it's just temporary to buy some time to allow things to turn around. They haven't turned around. Same stuff, different year. I am hopeful however that the addition of Pollard may end this cycle.

briclone

Aug 22, 2006

1) 2-0 has done nothing to hurt our chances at North title.
2) I was present at both games. Although I felt very anxious and frustrated at times, the games were very exciting and entertaining - I got my money's worth.
3) Much easier to get a program with recent success back to being successful.
4) Nobody's saying we're settling for mediocrity. Just not willing to start criticizing coaching until we actually lose a game. Suppose we don't lose a game this year, but every game comes down to the wire (however unlikely that may be) - are you still going to complain?

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
You completely missed the point. I'm not willing to settle for mediocrity either. But look at the program. How many other programs that have the fan base, stadium size, facilities, budget and recruit caliber that we have EXPECT to win a conference championship of a BCS conference? I would say our team performs at the level that the program around them has enabled them to perform. Actually, I think they perform a little better than that having been on the verge of taking the North the last two years. You use the word "settle". That would indicate we have the option of choosing to have a great program or settling for a mediocre program. Settle is the wrong word. Smallest budget in the Big XII. One of the smallest stadiums in the Big XII that doesn't sell out anyway. I don't care if you bring in the best new coach in the land to ISU tomorrow. The win percentage will not increase until everything surrounding this program also increases.

With all due respect, I didn't miss the point of your post at all. Again, nobody said anything about winning the conference championship of a BCS conference; I said win the North Division title and appear in the championship game. The North Division title has been ours for the taking the last two years; Mac & company have been unable to seize the opportunity despite controlling both the Missou & Jayhawk games well into the fourth quarter. What we've seen thus far this year is very familiar. They don't learn from their mistakes.

You say you're not willing to settle for mediocrity yet you spend your entire post rationalizing why we can't expect big things from the present squad. It's all a "catch 22" that revolves around the head coach. If Mac won, the stadium would fill. If the stadium was full, there would be more revenue to enhance the venue, upgrade facilities and enhance recruiting. He's had 12 years for gawd sake!

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. While I'm grateful for what he's done, I'm convinced Mac is not the man to lead ISU to the promised land and there are plenty of agressive assistants from BCS teams who'd love to coach at ISU! The guy from UNLV would be an upgrade to McCarney; at least he plays to win...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Just like a broken record from last two years: good looking, but not good enough looking for the big date to the prom.
We may be headed to be thye Cardiac Kids from St Louis.

I would think the magical and wonderful o line would have been blowing holes through a team that had lost their starting qb in the first quarter. Surprise. We slinked on through to the next game.
Hope those people saying we never practiced for game tape on first two opponents in deference to Iowa were right. I would settle for a one pointer any score. Go defense.

Alvin Bowen had 13 more tackles? Playing like an All American or someone on the Alabama team. Yes, assisted tackles count as full tackles. The Two Big Red leaders in Lincoln led the team with 6 tackles. One was Steve Octavien who lost his black shirt for now because of poor grades. KIt is sitting on shelof in his room till he buckles down.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
With all due respect, I didn't miss the point of your post at all. Again, nobody said anything about winning the conference championship of a BCS conference; I said win the North Division title and appear in the championship game. The North Division title has been ours for the taking the last two years; Mac & company have been unable to seize the opportunity despite controlling both the Missou & Jayhawk games well into the fourth quarter. What we've seen thus far this year is very familiar. They don't learn from their mistakes.

You say you're not willing to settle for mediocrity yet you spend your entire post rationalizing why we can't expect big things from the present squad. It's all a "catch 22" that revolves around the head coach. If Mac won, the stadium would fill. If the stadium was full, there would be more revenue to enhance the venue, upgrade facilities and enhance recruiting. He's had 12 years for gawd sake!

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. While I'm grateful for what he's done, I'm convinced Mac is not the man to lead ISU to the promised land and there are plenty of agressive assistants from BCS teams who'd love to coach at ISU! The guy from UNLV would be an upgrade to McCarney; at least he plays to win...

My expectation for the present squad is 8-4. I don't know if that interprets to "big things" or not. I would be thrilled if we go 8-4. At 8-4, I think this team is playing well beyond the budget, facilities, etc. However, if we go 7-5, do I think we should fire Mac? Only if JP thinks we should.

it is obvious we both support ISU. We will have to agree to disagree on the approach to the future.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
How is anyone settling for mediocre program??? so are you saying that we dont want to win games because we dont want to fire coach Mac.... is firing coach Mac going to guarantee that we all the sudden start winning the big XII and automatically go to a BCS bowl every year... absolutely not. i dont understand how U can say that we as fans are selling ourselves and the team short of thier capabilities. the stands and crowd are as energetic as I've seen for some time, and the team is 2-0 going into a game where Mac has had success in the past. CyinCo tell me exactly what you expect then from fans and the team to show you that we are no longer settling for a mediocre team? should we fire the whole staff... build a new stadium that seats 75,000+... or what??? where do you draw the line for what you consider "settling for mediocrity? Say we get a new coach... r you going to be calling for his head after every mistake as well??? what kind of a coach is even going to want to take over a program with that kind of pressure? ISU is 2-0 and there is a lot of season left where anything can happen. Why dont u just cheer your @ss off for ISU like a fan should (not to say you dont already) and if Mac needs to go... Pollard will address the issue when he feels its time.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
I love this, we just can't bring ourselves to saying anything bad about Mac, OMG he has brought us from the depths to this standard of excellence that we see week in and week out. Look, how many games has Mac won that he shouldn't have, how many games were we totally outmanned and still we won the game. I really can't think of any, if someone does please let me know.
Look, I root hard, and I keep coming back for this agony because I LOVE IOWA STATE SPORTS, but can't we just for a minute be honest and objective. I have credited Mac for the good decisions he has made in the past, and I hope that I can watch the game Saturday, and be totally impressed with the decisions that the staff makes. If I am, then I will be here typing odes to Mac.
But it's the Iowa game, a game that has saved Mac's job for a lot of years, so he will probably do his best job of the year, like always. Then we'll lose a Baylor type game later in the season.
I don't know folks, it just makes me sad that when people who know what they see is bad, but have bought into the P.R. so they just can't bring themselves to say "hey, we deserve better." So we'll say "well JP will handle it."
I love you all, we share a common bond, we just have different opinions about what we want to see.

SoCalHuskerFan

Sep 11, 2006
Sometimes teams play to the level of their competition. It can be infuriating but it does happen.

Bottom line is ISU is 2-0. There's a lot of work to do, it wasn't pretty, but you won the games you were supposed to win. I'm sure Colorado would gladly exchange places with you. You've got a lot of talent on that offense so enjoy the ride. They will put up some great numbers before it's all said and done.

A strong ISU is good for the whole division and conference. So I wish you well (with one notable exception, of course).

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
How is anyone settling for mediocre program??? so are you saying that we dont want to win games because we dont want to fire coach Mac.... is firing coach Mac going to guarantee that we all the sudden start winning the big XII and automatically go to a BCS bowl every year... absolutely not. i dont understand how U can say that we as fans are selling ourselves and the team short of thier capabilities. the stands and crowd are as energetic as I've seen for some time, and the team is 2-0 going into a game where Mac has had success in the past. CyinCo tell me exactly what you expect then from fans and the team to show you that we are no longer settling for a mediocre team? should we fire the whole staff... build a new stadium that seats 75,000+... or what??? where do you draw the line for what you consider "settling for mediocrity? Say we get a new coach... r you going to be calling for his head after every mistake as well??? what kind of a coach is even going to want to take over a program with that kind of pressure? ISU is 2-0 and there is a lot of season left where anything can happen. Why dont u just cheer your @ss off for ISU like a fan should (not to say you dont already) and if Mac needs to go... Pollard will address the issue when he feels its time.

Whooaaaaa there buddy. I'm the one that is WITH you on this. Iccyfan was the one calling for MAC's head. I'm saying that Mac needs to stay. That is unless his boss decides that isn't the case as I support whatever decision JP should make. I'm not calling for Mac's job. Nor am I "settling for Mediocrity" (I just posted as to why I hate that phrase).

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I love this, we just can't bring ourselves to saying anything bad about Mac, OMG he has brought us from the depths to this standard of excellence that we see week in and week out. Look, how many games has Mac won that he shouldn't have, how many games were we totally outmanned and still we won the game. I really can't think of any, if someone does please let me know.
Look, I root hard, and I keep coming back for this agony because I LOVE IOWA STATE SPORTS, but can't we just for a minute be honest and objective. I have credited Mac for the good decisions he has made in the past, and I hope that I can watch the game Saturday, and be totally impressed with the decisions that the staff makes. If I am, then I will be here typing odes to Mac.
But it's the Iowa game, a game that has saved Mac's job for a lot of years, so he will probably do his best job of the year, like always. Then we'll lose a Baylor type game later in the season.
I don't know folks, it just makes me sad that when people who know what they see is bad, but have bought into the P.R. so they just can't bring themselves to say "hey, we deserve better." So we'll say "well JP will handle it."
I love you all, we share a common bond, we just have different opinions about what we want to see.

I'm actually very much OK with saying "Well JP will handle it" because I trust Pollard to do the right thing. He is a man with a plan. And quick trigger finger. If it was still BVDV, then I would be concerned that changes wouldn't happen when they need to happen. With Pollard, I know that he constantly evaluating his coaches and will do what is necessary.

monkeybrow

May 19, 2006
Ben Bruns is full of crap. To say this is not coaching is crap. First, it was terrible play calling, and second, poor execution is a reflection of poor coaching. Either way, the head coach is responsible, and the problem with Dan, is that he never takes responsibility. Just deflects critisism with excuses. Again, the problem with many of us on here, along with Ben, is that we get used to it and it becomes acceptable. We as fans need to stand up and no longer accept this crap. I know most will disagree, but I think we either need to start a whole game chant to fire Mac, have a mass boycott of a game, or turn our backs on the game for the 3rd and 4th quarter during the next home game. Many would say that is being a poor fan, I say it's leading to drive change that will better for the players, the school, the city of Ames, and all the fans that continue to support ISU.

this is the worst of the worst....please don't come to the games...please don't watch on the tube...I don't wish to sit next to anyone who thinks such mindless dribble such as this

kjh0006

Apr 10, 2006
I am very frustrated with our play the last two games. I started with my glass "half full" this year and it has already sprung a leak. Week in and week out, good teams will go out and control the game. They stick the knife in and twist it. Our guys arent' getting the job done. I'm not sure what our problem is but we'd better figure it out and make the needed changes quickly. I was at the game last Saturday. I can honestly say I was happy that we won but felt sick to my stomach afterwards. To me, that was not an enjoyable game to watch.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I would like to win 9 this year because it might mean we win the North. Just need to be 7-3 the rest of the year. Nebraska won 9 games aboiut thirty years in a row till FranknStein took over. Does it not come down to the offensive line continues to be average. Looks to me like the seniors will be only so good. Sanme thing happened in Lincoln the last three years. The o line remained average. Their Red pancake blocks report list disappeared from view becauswe they had no pancake blocks.
Speaking of pancakes, heard a Robert Gallery report that he was switched from right to left tackle because he did not pan out. Apparently if you put two moves on him, the defense can get by him.
Kudos to Parker, Singleton, Bowen, Berg, Meyer, Blythe, TheBand, TheHelmet, Mediacom for their efforts. They have been the highlights so far. Hope to hand out more Kudos.

Last edited: