No Excuse!

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
Sorry if I come off harsh. But like JokersWild said, this team has talent. To see that go to waste is a shame. There is a point when the "free pass" that we fans have given to this staff needs to change.

I would love to be able to jump in on headset during a game like this...

"Uh, so, Mac, why don't we toss it up to Blythe? Just a thought."

iowastateclone94

Apr 12, 2006
If we don't utilize our best talent in the future, Todd Blythe, there will be few...if any... victories. If play calling doesn't get better, it's going to be a long season....for all of us.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
JokersWild. Good adive. Will use. I just want to see the changes made that allow us to be successful. I'm hopeful our AD has already laid out fair expectations to the ISU football staff, of which they cannot be currently meeting. I'm also hopeful the AD has consequences if those expectations are not met. Im done for tonight.

I got to leave the c

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Considering the competition it already is a long season. Remembrances of Kansas and Missouri games.

Last edited:

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
What expectations do you think Mac has that he hasn't been meeting? I'm pretty sure that winning games is his biggest expectation. Last I checked, we were 2-0. Granted we aren't where we want to be right now, but we have two W's under our belt.
I still think that the coaching was fine tonight, but the Offense did nothing in the second half. Had we stuck it in the end zone in the third quarter instead of being stuffed inside the ten and settling for a field goal, everyone would be happy because we soundly beat UNLV. But the offense didn't come through there, or any other time they had the ball intheir hands thereafter.
Get off the coaches.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
but somebody posted something about already giving up on this season.

Wasn't me who said this, although I post little, but I wanted to add: I don't think it's time to give up on this team. Just the opposite. I think it's time to get behind this team and give them everything we got. And I also think it's time the coaches/players start figuring out where they went wrong so they can start fixing things. There is obvious talent here, and we've shown we have it and can use it, we just need to be more consistant about it. We have 2 wins, albiet by small margins. We've got some young players, especially on defense, but we've also got some great talent. As for the fans in the stands, I think the energy level is pretty good, but I also think it could be a little better. Obviously it's hard to keep the energy high with such bad playmaking and the bad calls we always tend to get from the refs, but we gotta try anyway. The Toledo game seemed to have much better energy (perhaps it was just my crappy seats) and I think we all need to pick it up a notch. I especially like how the the "1st down" thing is really catching on in places other than the student section. All in all, I think we could be great! As fans, let's just keep doing our part.

GO CLONES!

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
I hope our expection is more then just winning. Why winning should be one of the primary goals, the main expectation from a coach should be to get the most he can out of his staff and players. If this is done, winning is a lilely result, but not needed to meet expectations.

You can lose against the number 1 team in the nation and far exceed expecations. We are 2-0, but I surely hope that they don't qualify as meeting expectations.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I'm not trying to rip anyone on the forum, I'm not. I think its great that everyone has their own opinion and can share it, but I also find it humerous as to how everyone suddenly becomes experts as to why different things played out the way they did in the game, after the game is over. we can sit here and point fingers all night and argue back and forth as to who is to blame for the lack-luster performance from the past couple of games... but the fact of the matter is that ISU IS 2-0 and isnt that the ultimate goal... to win games? granted the offense could have played better and we could have thrown the ball to Blythe more and yada, yada, yada... but if you think that when it comes down to it, the players wont be ready to play in a big game situation such as Iowa or Nebraska... think again. As already mentioned earlier, it seems that ISU seems to play to their opponents. They will be ready to go come gametime. I think its rather pathetic that some of the so called cyclone "fans" are always looking at the negatives instead of the possitives. We won the game with Meyer not at his best and without Blythe getting his share of catches... just think how things will work when they are both clicking on all cylinders. If you want to point fingers I think the fans are also to blame... During the second half of the third and well through the majority of the fourth quarter when UNLV was mounting their comeback... I could hear the UNLV's sidelines over our entire crowd. Thats completely unacceptable... If we are going to have such high demands from our Cyclones than we need to have faith and support them through thick and thin. You cant demand perfection out of an entire football program, its just not going to happen. Yea there is things that can be improved but when it comes down to it, ISU is 2-0 and they will be ready to play come Iowa and Nebraska. Just have a little faith in your team... sorry just had to get that off my chest.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
Typically a teams offense take a little more time than the defense to jell, and I certainly hope this is the case so far with ISU this season. That being said, there is NO one that deserves to be named offensive player of the game this week. The whole group looked flat throughout the entire game.

I hope it was because they were looking ahead to next week.

dglade

May 13, 2006
Waukee
Ben Bruns is full of crap. To say this is not coaching is crap. First, it was terrible play calling, and second, poor execution is a reflection of poor coaching. Either way, the head coach is responsible, and the problem with Dan, is that he never takes responsibility. Just deflects critisism with excuses. Again, the problem with many of us on here, along with Ben, is that we get used to it and it becomes acceptable. We as fans need to stand up and no longer accept this crap. I know most will disagree, but I think we either need to start a whole game chant to fire Mac, have a mass boycott of a game, or turn our backs on the game for the 3rd and 4th quarter during the next home game. Many would say that is being a poor fan, I say it's leading to drive change that will better for the players, the school, the city of Ames, and all the fans that continue to support ISU.

Give me a break he took all the blame last game for not coaching better. Meyer missed a wide open Blythe that would have scored a TD. Their back up QB is the same guy that played all last year. So obviously he knows the system very well. People need to grow up. We are not going to win every game by a blowout. Iowa is not as good as they think they are. We will be just fine. It beats going to no bowl games like before. You are not going to win 9 to 10 games every year this day and age with all the parity. 7 to 8 every year is not bad.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
People can we PLEASE have some EXPECTATIONS of this coach. I have listened to the spin, and NOTHING has changed. All I wanted from Mac this year was to show that he had learned from the past, and it is OBVIOUS that he HAS NOT!!!!
Why is it that there are Iowa State fans that feel like they don't deserve success. I've been here for 30 + years now, and I am tired of this mindset.
"Ooooh Mac will get it done, I just know he will, maybe next year???"
He's been here for 12 years, and has made millions of dollars, why can't he be held accountable ???
I read from certain posters that if we're against Mac, then we're not real Iowa State fans, well that's a "bunch of happy horse crap" to quote Mac.
We deserve sucess people, and 12 years is plenty of time to see where the program is headed. It's headed towards another 6-7 win season, and a crappy bowl. Why can't we feel like we can better than Mac??? is it a contest to see how much we can suffer before we can't take it anymore???
I am looking for insight, please fill me in.
Thank you for you time.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
Are you kidding me dglade??? When has Mac ever taken responsibility, other than the "it's my program so I it all ends up on me" spiel???

cyclonewino

Apr 11, 2006
Mac has done a great job of preparing the team as an underdog, but we never seem to play well as a favorite. I WILL NOT blame the players for this. We have 10 returning starters on O, failure to show their potencial in 2 games falls on the coaching staff.

Being 2-0 beats the alternative, but students can't have every class as a pass/fail grading system why should the football program? When I was at ISU we switched to a plus/minus system (prior to this change a B was a B no plus or minus) the university said it was necessary to better evaluate the student GPA. A simple look at won/loss record is a poor method of evaluating the performance of the team and coaching staff. Just remember we are just 2 plays from being 0-2!

Mac lost my support in 2002 when that team lost the confidence to play. Followed by '03 when Mac kept telling us how few starters we lost and we would have a good season, right! I will support the team and believe we need to wait till the end of the season to completely evaluate this years coaching, but I won't miss Mac when JP pulls the trigger.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
People can we PLEASE have some EXPECTATIONS of this coach. I have listened to the spin, and NOTHING has changed. All I wanted from Mac this year was to show that he had learned from the past, and it is OBVIOUS that he HAS NOT!!!!
Why is it that there are Iowa State fans that feel like they don't deserve success. I've been here for 30 + years now, and I am tired of this mindset.
"Ooooh Mac will get it done, I just know he will, maybe next year???"
He's been here for 12 years, and has made millions of dollars, why can't he be held accountable ???
I read from certain posters that if we're against Mac, then we're not real Iowa State fans, well that's a "bunch of happy horse crap" to quote Mac.
We deserve sucess people, and 12 years is plenty of time to see where the program is headed. It's headed towards another 6-7 win season, and a crappy bowl. Why can't we feel like we can better than Mac??? is it a contest to see how much we can suffer before we can't take it anymore???
I am looking for insight, please fill me in.
Thank you for you time.

Nice job summarizing how many true Cyclone fans feel! I've been attending Cyclone games since 1978, with a decade off while I lived in Chicago & Ohio. Thankfully, I missed much of the Criner and Waldon eras! Your point about Cyclone fans not expecting to win is so valid; from Donnie Duncan on we've been conditioned to accept mediocrity! This mindset has reached fever pitch with Dan Mac! We've underachieved for the past four years; Seneca's senior campaign should have been awesome yet we finished 7-6. The 2-10 season with Flynn at the controls would never have happened at a true quality program. Our schedule the most recently completed two seasons, especially 2005, could / should have led to at least one stellar record!

With all of this, I receive a letter last week informing me that the price of my five season tickets will be rising significantly next season. Put a quality team on the field and I'd be right back in Jack Trice next season with my wife and three kids. Keep putting on displays like the past two weeks; there's just no way! Puhleassse....:growl5cj:

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
2-0...the sky is falling...

-Chicken Little

Correct the sky is falling. Some Cyclone Fans thought we should win the national championship this year. After all, our stadium seats 45,000 people and sometimes we actually sell it out. But our problem is coach Mac. He is the reason why we won't win the national championship this year. We have national championship caliber players and a national championship caliber stadium and fan base, but if only we had a national championship caliber coach to go with it, then thats all we need and we are there. We can get any coach we would want to get too because our budget is also national championship caliber and we can pay someone an unlimited amount to come to the metropolis known as Ames. This is all on Coach Mac. Yet another bowl bound season but no national championship trophy. What a terrible coach.

rw4isu

Apr 11, 2006
Offense didn't have the ball much !!

All, we had the ball for 3 plays and 2:26 of the 4th quarter, that's it !! The offense was fine except for the stupid penalties that we couldn't make up. I gaurantee if it weren't for the penalties that put is in tough situations, it would have been much different last night.

UNLV had the ball for the last 8:15 of the game.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
We also must consider that Iowa is looming next weekend. The coaches and players can talk all they want about 1 game at a time, but you and I both know, the Iowa game is on the minds of every player. We certainly played that way last night!

rw4isu

Apr 11, 2006
How does O lay an egg when they have ball only 2.5 minutes out of last 16?

No laying an egg. Dumb penalties

rw4isu

Apr 11, 2006
COME ON DEFENSE !!!

Come on defense !!! You let the Rebels have the ball for all but 2:30 minutes of the 4th quarter !!!! Everyone is on the offense, an offense that only had the ball for 2:30 of the 4th quarter !!!