News Anchor Inappropriate?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Let's just call the entire situation inappropriate.

The anchor's comments were absolutely inappropriate.

The reporter was dressed inappropriately for the job she was doing (I have never seen a reporter report in a swim suit, much less a bikini, while on camera).

I have no idea what the hell any of them (anchor, reporter, producer (if it was his/her idea) were thinking.

I think the story did exactly what the producer wanted. It got the station national attention and probably brought in some more viewers. News reporting isn't about actually news anymore.

The female anchor will probably have her career options improve greatly now also. The Erin Andrews effect.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I doubt the guy was encouraged to make his comments, but I could definitely see her showing up in normal work clothes, or maybe just shorts or something and some segment producer going, "C'mon, we're at a water park! Have fun with it!"

I would sure hope it wasn't encouraged. It would be super sleazy - which unfortunately is a valid possibility in ratings wars, but ew. That reporter will likely have difficulty being taken seriously again in her career - the video will follow her for forever.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
She wasn't asking for it, but why does a news reporter need to wear a skimpy bikini. Is the focus on her or on what she's reporting about? A one piece would have done just fine. Either way, I would agree it does not justify the actions of the anchor. That was wrong. She may not have been asking for it on purpose, but she wasn't exactly sending the message that she doesn't want to be treated like an object. JMHO
It's a ratings gimmick.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm glad, it's just irritating that one of the first comments you get on any sort of incident like this is always some variation on "well, what did she expect...". People think there giving well-intentioned advice to help women avoid this situations, but I think it ends up functioning more as a free pass to creeps and ******** to keep doing their thing because "everybody is thinking it when they see a girl dressed like that".

That woman's swimsuit isn't really that revealing. It's not like she's voluptuous and pouring out of it. Not any more revealing than a fit man in a typical swim shorts.

I read a meme recently that said "homophobia: the fear that some men will treat you the same way you treat women". Not saying it applies to individuals here, but it did come to mind a bit and there's probably some truth to it.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
A burqa is the only solution. We must force our women to be modest or they deserve every caveman comment and reaction.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I would sure hope it wasn't encouraged. It would be super sleazy - which unfortunately is a valid possibility in ratings wars, but ew. That reporter will likely have difficulty being taken seriously again in her career - the video will follow her for forever.

Keep in mind that the entire premise of the segment was publicity...the waterpark had been remodelled or something.

If I had to guess, the intent was a little sexiness, but they didn't count on the anchor going too far.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
If this had been a fit male reporter wearing swim trunks and no shirt and the female co-anchor was the one making the comments, this would not even be news.

As others on this thread have already posited, I believe that the story's producer got exactly what he/she wanted from this report.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
That woman's swimsuit isn't really that revealing. It's not like she's voluptuous and pouring out of it. Not any more revealing than a fit man in a typical swim shorts.

Your argument is valid the next time you see a male news reporter in swim shorts at the scene of a car accident.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If this had been a fit male reporter wearing swim trunks and no shirt and the female co-anchor was the one making the comments, this would not even be news.

As others on this thread have already posited, I believe that the story's producer got exactly what he/she wanted from this report.

I don't know, if a female news anchor had been accused of raping a man, then a couple years later she's getting excited about a male coworker's body in a swimsuit on the air…I think that story has legs. Female rapist news anchor? Just because it has never happened (and likely won't) doesn't mean people wouldn't be intrigued by the story.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

Stereotypical BS argument. If you're going to be that wrong at least be original.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Your argument is valid the next time you see a male news reporter in swim shorts at the scene of a car accident.

It's obviously a fluff piece, but it's not as outrageous as you're claiming. America needs an adjustment on its views on sex in many directions.

If I'm station manager and my rape-accused news anchor acts like this on the air I'm talking to him…but then again I wouldn't probably be running stories like this in a major market either.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
That is not a revealing bathing suit. It is a bathing suit. And she is at a water park, demonstrating a ride where she jumps into a pool of water. What does everyone think she should have worn? I don't even think my wife has a one piece bathing suit these days. This is just a bathing suit, and anyone who thinks it was too revealing needs to get real.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
I don't know, if a female news anchor had been accused of raping a man, then a couple years later she's getting excited about a male coworker's body in a swimsuit on the air…I think that story has legs. Female rapist news anchor? Just because it has never happened (and likely won't) doesn't mean people wouldn't be intrigued by the story.

I don't know any of the history of the story, but what ever happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'? The guy was accused of rape, not convicted and the case apparently never went to trial. To me, the previous accusation doesn't have that much bearing on the story. Regardless, as I said before, I think the producer succeeded in creating a situation in which the story and the station would get publicity.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
That is not a revealing bathing suit. It is a bathing suit. And she is at a water park, demonstrating a ride where she jumps into a pool of water. What does everyone think she should have worn? I don't even think my wife has a one piece bathing suit these days. This is just a bathing suit, and anyone who thinks it was too revealing needs to get real.

I don't believe this. Need pics for proof.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Keep in mind that the entire premise of the segment was publicity...the waterpark had been remodelled or something.

If I had to guess, the intent was a little sexiness, but they didn't count on the anchor going too far.

The park was a deathtrap and leader in lawsuits when it closed earlier. It needs good publicity.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't know any of the history of the story, but what ever happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'? The guy was accused of rape, not convicted and the case apparently never went to trial. To me, the previous accusation doesn't have that much bearing on the story. Regardless, as I said before, I think the producer succeeded in creating a situation in which the story and the station would get publicity.

But I'm correct that it'd be a big story if a female tv personality was accused of raping a man but found innocent and kept her job, then she is fixated on a coworker's body on air. Not sure why you think nobody would be interested in that story, I think you meant it would be incredibly unlikely to ever happen, not that nobody would care.