New turf going down

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I have no opinion on this other than the fields I played on in high school ranged from "okay" to "if I fall I'm gonna break something".

Then again I played 1A in the sticks, so. . .

Reactions: khardbored

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
trash

~ The grass typically goes dormant in November and looks dead
~ We almost suffered the most embarrassing loss in recent history Dec 1 2018, to a non-scholarship mediocre FCS school
~ The field was also frozen that day, making for dangerous playing conditions
~ Kene N literally had a minimum of THREE returns (for touchdowns) thwarted as he tried to make a simple cut--and wiped out

We are in a Power 5 conference. Nothing remotely should ever happen like this again--ever. Yet here we are

Still not worse than a lot of high school fields - you can make your point without blatantly making **** up...

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
We’ve been lucky last couple seasons with mild weather in November…and the grass looking good. Anyone remember that add-in Drake game on Dec 1 (2017?) The grass was beyond deplorable and worse than any high school field I’ve seen.

I used to love our natural grass but strictly in the Field Turf camp also. It looks fantastic on tv — especially a night game in November. Unfortunately I have to give Kinnick props for their field (and I loathe Iowa)
Honestly, they should have played the game at Drake for that reason. Would have been a fun atmosphere.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I was on the sidelines for the Drake game. Between the hash marks was bad and along the sidelines was a mosh pit. You keep seeing all these new stadiums that are built these days where the fields are natural grass and then whole field gets moved out of the stadium. I’m still for natural grass fields. The injury debate on grass vs artificial grass will always be there.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
trash

~ The grass typically goes dormant in November and looks dead
~ We almost suffered the most embarrassing loss in recent history Dec 1 2018, to a non-scholarship mediocre FCS school
~ The field was also frozen that day, making for dangerous playing conditions
~ Kene N literally had a minimum of THREE returns (for touchdowns) thwarted as he tried to make a simple cut--and wiped out

We are in a Power 5 conference. Nothing remotely should ever happen like this again--ever. Yet here we are
Had a field pass that season and was on the sideline for that one. It wasn't frozen, it was slop. Walked across the field after and literally had to watch where I was stepping or I'd roll my ankle. That said, the field had gone dormant prior to the K-State game (which was in good shape then) but then got rain dumped on it for a few days and then a slushy snow that morning. The field itself was fine, but hopefully with this new field renovation, they add the hybrid threading to strengthen it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It's a highly managed turf field that is probably being spoon fed fertilizer on a weekly basis by a team of people so little goes to waste. I don't think there is a lot to worry about here.
My high school practice field was borderline dangerous by the time late October hit.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
View attachment 98577

CR Prairie Field Turf

With Kingston Stadium having artificial field for several years (CR Kennedy/CR Wash/CR Jeff) all seven area high schools now will have FIELD TURF. Just the best, most sensible, attractive option in Iowa

I agree with the bolded part for high school fields. As a former HS official, I also REALLY appreciate the permanent lines on the turf fields. Much nicer than having the 85 year-old "guy who's always done it" trying to mark lines on a trashed field in mid to late October. Sometimes looks like a drunkard painted it! (and I understand it's not always easy.

College stadiums with a full-time staff and very limited use may be a different story. I'm undecided.

That is a nice looking field, tho.

Reactions: Tailg8er

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
wtf are you talking about about? What am I making up? Watch the fking replay of the ISU-Drake game. I have attended ISU games way back starting with their old artificial field.

Try to separate your devotion to our agronomy dept. --from reality.
~ I love ISU's agronomy dept......just not w/ Jack Trice

You should step away when you are tripling down on dumb.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
wtf are you talking about about? What am I making up? Watch the fking replay of the ISU-Drake game. I have attended ISU games way back starting with their old artificial field.

You've been living in Nebraska too long....

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014

Pm me when you catch your breath, our High School is accepting quotes for a new field turf field.

• Dumb
Reactions: AttackOfTheClones

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
It's a highly managed turf field that is probably being spoon fed fertilizer on a weekly basis by a team of people so little goes to waste. I don't think there is a lot to worry about here.
Not to mention, it has a drainage system that most likely runs back to a treatment plant rather than a ditch.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

You're making up that it was worse than any high school field. FFS, we all realize it was terrible on that ONE day, late in the season, with the worst possible weather. Yes, not ideal.

My point is there are a bunch of high school fields worse than that, usually for multiple games each season. I think we can live with one **** field game per 10 seasons.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You're making up that it was worse than any high school field. FFS, we all realize it was terrible on that ONE day, late in the season, with the worst possible weather. Yes, not ideal.

My point is there are a bunch of high school fields worse than that, usually for multiple games each season. I think we can live with one **** field game per 10 seasons.
The biggest/best HS fields in the state have amazing new field turf. Most HS fields in the state don't and have pretty mediocre playing surfaces. Hell CR Xavier just got theirs last year, before that went in it was a pretty typical average grass field. And let's not pretend that field turf is impermeable to sh*tty weather...

1651798256415.png

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Of course turf makes sense for high school fields. They have practices and competitions for multiple levels of football, boys soccer, and girls soccer, plus marching band and likely even P.E. classes as well.

Compared to a college field, with only 10-15 uses per year.

Reactions: aauummm

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I was talking to a buddy tonight and his company was contracted to work on this project. I haven't read the whole thread, so SIAP, but this turf is pretty interesting. Grown in sand, and doesn't require much water, etc. I guess his company had a meeting before they started talking about everyone being on their best behavior (especially the Hawk fans). Shortly after they finished, no sooner had they received compliments from the head company, one of his guys posted a picture on one of the Hawk message boards (and probably social media) of the new turf and him wearing his Hawk shirt. He was fired.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron