New construction on south duff

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Maybe this has been discussed before but I missed it if it has been. Does anyone know what is going in the building being built next to or near the texas road house?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think someone on here said something about a Firehouse Subs going in somewhere down there.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
New 20,000 sq ft retail development, Firehouse Subs is only confirmed tenant so far.

Here is what it will look like:

attachment.php

Firehouse subs going into stand-alone building in front of it.

Last edited:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Why does everything have to be on South Duff?

I'm with you BDK. Ames is about the only town where all the commercial development is on the complete opposite side of town as the residential development.

Ames likes to think it is some progressive town but all they have the same suburban development as every other town PLUS a terribly planned commercial corridor.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
I'm with you BDK. Ames is about the only town where all the commercial development is on the complete opposite side of town as the residential development.

Ames likes to think it is some progressive town but all they have the same suburban development as every other town PLUS a terribly planned commercial corridor.
Every thing is either on South duff or lincoln way.
South duff is a nightmare, it's nearly impossible to turn left.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA

Or main street, or Somerset, or campus town, or North Grand mall.

Ames does have some stupid zoning laws. Especially height restrictions in and around campus town. There are a lot of 2-4 story apartment building around town.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

and there are no requirements that parking lots be connected. That's what irks me the most. The worst offender is the Best Buy lot next to the Poncheros lot. Try going from BB to Poncheros during rush hour? It takes 10 minutes to go 300 feet. For a progressive town they sure base everything on the automobile with no connectivity between parcels.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Ames does have some stupid zoning laws. Especially height restrictions in and around campus town. There are a lot of 2-4 story apartment building around town.

Those usually stem form the ADA which requires an elevator for any building taller than 3 stories. It's federal law which is why in most towns/suburbs apartments are only 2 or 3 stories.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
and there are no requirements that parking lots be connected. That's what irks me the most. The worst offender is the Best Buy lot next to the Poncheros lot. Try going from BB to Poncheros during rush hour? It takes 10 minutes to go 300 feet. For a progressive town they sure base everything on the automobile with no connectivity between parcels.

That's why you walk to Pancheros from Best Buy.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If only there were a quicker way to traverse those 300 feet.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron