NCAA TOURNEY

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I am mixed on granting additional years.

Spencer will not have a chance to be a 4 timer.
V Joesph won't have a chance to be a 4 time finalist.
Even things like David Carr, Shane Griffin and other freshman won't have the ability to be 4 time anything.

But if bring all these guys back for another year, the ability for others to be a conference champ, NCAA qualifier, AA or Champ disappears (at least for some that wait in the wings to start).

Doesn't seem right to give Joesph, Lugo and other 5 full years of everything except NCAA.

Bad deal, but sometimes, that is life!

My initial thoughts were "award an extra year of eligibility to everyone who qualified, and let those who want it, take it." and I thought that was so simple and easy.

Thinking more about it, and seeing other posts about it on here, I can definitely see how that would be unfair to others as well. What about the junior that was going to fill in at a spot for his senior year? Now he's out of luck too? Or the freshman that committed to a school based on a four year starting opportunity? He can never be a 4x anything now either.

There's no right answer, no easy solution. Like you said, it's just a bad deal.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
If they did it just for seniors, wouldn't affect us much
Iowa State - 9 qualifiers - (Straw)
Iowa - 10 qualifiers - (Lugo)
UNI - 7 qualifiers - (Lujan, Steiert, Schwarm, Thomsen)
PSU - 7 qualifiers - (Joesph, Hall, Rasheed)
Nebraska - 10 qualifiers - (Purrington, White, Jensen)
Ok State - 9 qualifiers - (Picc, J Smith)
NC State - 8 qualifiers - (No one)
Ohio State - 8 qualifiers - (Pletcher, Moore)

Some guys wait their career for weights or guys to clear out and to bring all these guys back for another year is not right for others that have been waiting for the opportunity

Last edited:

Htowncyfan

Mar 18, 2018
If everyone wrestled to their seed and we exclude bonus points, where would we finish? I’m guessing 13-15.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
If they did it just for seniors, wouldn't affect us much
Iowa State - 9 qualifiers - (Straw)
Iowa - 10 qualifiers - (Lugo)
UNI - 7 qualifiers - (Lujan, Steiert, Schwarm, Thomsen)
PSU - 7 qualifiers - (Joesph, Hall, Rasheed)
Nebraska - 10 qualifiers - (Purrington, White, Jensen)
Ok State - 9 qualifiers - (Picc, J Smith)
NC State - 8 qualifiers - (No one)
Ohio State - 8 qualifiers - (Pletcher, Moore)

Some guys wait their career for weights or guys to clear out and to bring all these guys back for another year is not right for others that have been waiting for the opportunity
There are several there that did the same though. Pletcher and Moore the primary

cyclonegrap

Sep 2, 2016
I say simplify everything. Give everyone 6 years to compete in 4 postseasons. Get rid of redshirt, Olympic redshirt, and hardship years. This would also help keep lineups filled since you could spot start and not lose eligibility. It would be a disadvantage to Ivy and service academies, but they have other major benefits outside of sports.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I say simplify everything. Give everyone 6 years to compete in 4 postseasons. Get rid of redshirt, Olympic redshirt, and hardship years. This would also help keep lineups filled since you could spot start and not lose eligibility. It would be a disadvantage to Ivy and service academies, but they have other major benefits outside of sports.

I assume the financial restrictions play a factor in this. Are all these kids that are getting extra years going to grad schools or what? I think Gremmel graduated in December of his redshirt junior year

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I do feel for the kids but no extra eligibility should be granted. Are we going to bring back all of those BB players? LaCrosse? Who’s footing the bill for the scholarships and living expenses? Would they count against the scholarship limits?

it would be a disaster. Focus on school and their futures. Easy for me to say but I think it’s the reality.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Sounds like Spring sports will get "eligibility relief." No word if anything will happen with winter sports deprived of a post-season.

• Informative
Reactions: buf87

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I know it's a logistical nightmare, but could you consider an extra semester of eligibility? Then have a "Nationals" tournament in late Dec/early Jan for everybody that qualified this year with substitutes for anybody that dropped out for one reason or another. I'm sure it wouldn't be the same but I don't know of anything better.
I could live with 2 nationals tournaments next year!

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Good day, we are getting our nonrefundable hotel room refunded. Thanks to the Cyclone staff for getting it done!
Wish I could say the same. Still fighting for our $1100 refund! Choice Rewards is offering us 10,000 points, not even enough for a night's stay!

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
As bad as I feel for the wrestlers. How about the baseball/softball teams who are going to miss their whole seasons? They just started this year and now it's over. It's amazing to me that the NCAA took such a hard line in canceling the whole season and championships, which won't be played for 3 months. Maybe they can get this under control and restart the seasons for those teams. :(