NCAA TOURNEY

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Anyone remember who the best team in wrestling was this past year? I forgot already!

Watch Penn State win it all again next year now. They had one somewhat "rebuilding" year, and the tourney gets cancelled that year.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
If seniors get another year & Lugo goes 149 & Eierman goes 141, they will be tough. Everyone else is back

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Watch Penn State win it all again next year now. They had one somewhat "rebuilding" year, and the tourney gets cancelled that year.

PSU will always be tough but Iowa's chances next year are better than they were this year. They lose Cenzo and Hall, their two best chances at a natty. Iowa brings everyone back except Lugo but will add Eierman.

• Agree
Reactions: Proton

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
PSU will always be tough but Iowa's chances next year are better than they were this year. They lose Cenzo and Hall, their two best chances at a natty. Iowa brings everyone back except Lugo but will add Eierman.

You can’t replicate how healthy Iowa stayed this year though. That has to be the toughest part to swallow.

CloneVIII

Dec 16, 2016
This may be a little out there, but the NCAA should consider granting all winter athletes another year of eligibility (for those who would want it). i understand that there are a lot of financial considerations involved, but there has to be some fair and logical solution for the athletes.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
This may be a little out there, but the NCAA should consider granting all winter athletes another year of eligibility (for those who would want it). i understand that there are a lot of financial considerations involved, but there has to be some fair and logical solution for the athletes.

As much as it sucks for the seniors, I can’t see the NCAA disrupting the careers of 4 classes of guys for the sake of 1 class losing only losing a weekend.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
As much as it sucks for the seniors, I can’t see the NCAA disrupting the careers of 4 classes of guys for the sake of 1 class losing only losing a weekend.

I would argue it doesn’t just affect the seniors. If they don’t get another year, Spencer Lee will not be a 4-timer (I know he’s a hawk but he’s damn talented and it would be a shame if he didn’t get a chance), Degen will not have a chance to be a 3 time AA, who knows if Parker has a healthy season like he did this year to make a run at AA, etc. I hope they give everyone that qualified a chance to apply for an extra year. Again the issue then is scholarship money, title-9 issues, etc. my
Hope is the NCAA gives an exemption to title 9 for next year, and also provides grants for the scholarships. But lot of logistics to walk through

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
You can’t replicate how healthy Iowa stayed this year though. That has to be the toughest part to swallow.

Toughest part to swallow is the fact they lost out on a chance for a back to back. Iowa was by far the best team this year. Sucks.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Toughest part to swallow is the fact they lost out on a chance for a back to back. Iowa was by far the best team this year. Sucks.
Hold on there. You beat PSU by 2 points. Had Anthony Cassar been available you drop that dual. You were best by a little.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
I have no idea what the right answer is, but I tend to agree with this. If an extra year of eligibility is granted it doesn't just affect seniors or qualifiers. There have been teams working plans for years for their lineups. Recruits committed to plans coaches laid out for them. Likely a very upset true freshman class that were in the stables ready to break into the lineup next year. I'm sure they wouldn't get an extra year of eligibility when they were planning on being the guy next year. My point is this would have a ripple effect all the way down through every class and likely impact more than just next year, but several years.

• Agree
Reactions: Isuisgood

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
I have no idea what the right answer is, but I tend to agree with this. If an extra year of eligibility is granted it doesn't just affect seniors or qualifiers. There have been teams working plans for years for their lineups. Recruits committed to plans coaches laid out for them. Likely a very upset true freshman class that were in the stables ready to break into the lineup next year. I'm sure they wouldn't get an extra year of eligibility when they were planning on being the guy next year. My point is this would have a ripple effect all the way down through every class and likely impact more than just next year, but several years.
I also see the other side. NCAA tells seniors/qualifiers sorry it happened like this, but at least you wrestled a full regular season and conference tournament so we won't be granting an extra year of eligibility. Wrestlers would throw the regular season away in a second if they could wrestle at nationals. Not to mention wrestlers who sat out a good part of the year to try to be as close to 100% as they could come nationals, i.e. David Carr.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I also see the other side. NCAA tells seniors/qualifiers sorry it happened like this, but at least you wrestled a full regular season and conference tournament so we won't be granting an extra year of eligibility. Wrestlers would throw the regular season away in a second if they could wrestle at nationals. Not to mention wrestlers who sat out a good part of the year to try to be as close to 100% as they could come nationals, i.e. David Carr.

Would've been interesting to see what kind of noise Carr would've made. He had a more than decent shot.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I know it's a logistical nightmare, but could you consider an extra semester of eligibility? Then have a "Nationals" tournament in late Dec/early Jan for everybody that qualified this year with substitutes for anybody that dropped out for one reason or another. I'm sure it wouldn't be the same but I don't know of anything better.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I am mixed on granting additional years.

Spencer will not have a chance to be a 4 timer.
V Joesph won't have a chance to be a 4 time finalist.
Even things like David Carr, Shane Griffin and other freshman won't have the ability to be 4 time anything.

But if bring all these guys back for another year, the ability for others to be a conference champ, NCAA qualifier, AA or Champ disappears (at least for some that wait in the wings to start).

Doesn't seem right to give Joesph, Lugo and other 5 full years of everything except NCAA.

Bad deal, but sometimes, that is life!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron