Mods could do a better job with threads/posters

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Nope. Not what I said. Of course, I know you are intentionally making a bad faith reading of what I posted... it's what you do.

You went to college (or so I assume).

You should be able to handle the equivalent of a few paragraphs from an academic text in length that are certainly not nearly as dense conceptually and with ideas given I am just pounding them out here.

Anything else is just your bluster about your ability to ignore complex ideas counter to your own. Not sure I'd brag about that.

My thesis was ~130 pages (size 12, double-space, Times New Roman).

Seriously, what do you people read all day to make a few hundred words so intimidating to you? Twitter posts or something?
It’s not that difficult to read your concepts and understand where they go wrong. The problem is you try to hide and dodge from the logic failings you present by being verbose and either intentionally, or intentionally not understanding the counter argument.

After a couple of honest engagements, it becomes clear to every other college educated poster on the board it’s not worth engaging you and trying to work around such a banal approach.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It’s not that difficult to read your concepts and understand where they go wrong. The problem is you try to hide and dodge from the logic failings you present by being verbose and either intentionally, or intentionally not understanding the counter argument.

After a couple of honest engagements, it becomes clear to every other college educated poster on the board it’s not worth engaging you and trying to work around such a banal approach.

This is an obsolete complaint.

Like I said, I long ago took more constructively phrased versions of this to heart. I don't do mega-posts anymore. Yours above is 74 words. I'm usually in that range. Heck, this one is going to be under 100 easily.

The complaint you're trying to hide behind were relevant in 2016 and 2017, but it is 2020 now. I learned the fair lesson there.

Like I said, you're hiding. Just telling yourself it is the post length.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I got called out in name in the thread for making it political: literally my only contribution was saying 63% of people dont approve of our response, the preeminent expert in infectious diseases doesnt approve and 3 major healthcare associations released a statement that said our response was a worst case scenario. Sorry I wasnt going to let redacted blow smoke up our asses and pretend we didnt drop the ball

And now you feel better about yourself. Here's your ribbon.

Reactions: LancelotClone

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
This is an obsolete complaint.

Like I said, I long ago took more constructively phrased versions of this to heart. I don't do mega-posts anymore. Yours above is 74 words. I'm usually in that range. Heck, this one is going to be under 100 easily.

The complaint you're trying to hide behind were relevant in 2016 and 2017, but it is 2020 now. I learned the fair lesson there.

Like I said, you're hiding. Just telling yourself it is the post length.
I have little notion of what you post since you left the cave. I generally make a point of avoiding them outside of sports threads so as not to be drawn in. I’m sure I could find rather lengthy posts on the economy and social security as I recall running across them and immediately leaving that thread.

It’s what I do?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Maybe you do.

Jenna-Mind_blown.gif

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Believing fully and entirely in the moral righteousness of one's tribe was not just a fun thing to do in hunter-gathered societies -- it was a prerequisite for survival. Needing to look past the failings of your own kind (to maintain the solidarity of the same) while finding every reason to hate (to motivate you to shun them, or even destroy rival bands, violently if necessary) posed an advantage. The tribes that stuck together and reproduced won, and the ones who worried about the nuances and complexities of morality perished. There is your evolutionary reason, if you wanted it.

We have only abandoned that "might makes right" as a self-evident moral system as a species in the last few minutes of our species' "day" of existence, and not even all that well much of the time.

You are not wrong the sports boards can be bad, but I do not think I have seen anything in them like a slow Tuesday in the Cave.

damn those people 100,000 years ago.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Why waste time say lot word when few word do trick?

Because a few words doesn't always do the trick.

The world is complex. Far more than any of us really comprehend.

The complexity of the points human language can handle grows with the more language used -- imperfectly, obviously, but the correlation there is nonetheless very strong in the long-term.

People spend careers and write books about some of the things you all want boiled down into Tweet-length. That is fine if you want that, but don't whine when somebody expands upon a point a little.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I have little notion of what you post since you left the cave. I generally make a point of avoiding them outside of sports threads so as not to be drawn in.

So you're basically admitting you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to my posting history the past few years, you've avoided me, and you're just falling back on old bromides?

Gee. What a shock. That's almost exactly what I've been saying.

I’m sure I could find rather lengthy posts on the economy and social security as I recall running across them and immediately leaving that thread.

It’s what I do?

Have fun. I am sure I have had a few "relapses" here or there (depending on what arbitrary word count you want to draw the line on), but they have been few and far between. It's your problem if you want to use an exception to prove the rule. And public finance is one of those complex topics that really deserves it, so I'll make no apologies there.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
So 2016
I never said it was "worthless." I just said it does not provide a return using an economic definition, which is accurate -- income security and healthcare for the retired do not increase future economic output/incomes. Education, R&D, and physical infrastructure do. There are plenty of good reasons to want to send Grandmother her pension check, but "this will generate a societal return" through lower costs, higher efficiency, or new technology is not one of them.

State/federal resources are finite. More and more of the same has been going into social spending, which you can value how you want, but at least acknowledge there are competing priorities here. Economic growth has been slower in the U.S. in the past few decades than it was in the ones before that -- one of my pet theories for why that is comes from the public sector abandoning its traditional position of making smart investments to lay a foundation for future growth and instead using its resources on other, short-term priorities of taking care of the current population.

You can say that is worth it, and you are welcome to that position. But there is a cost to it.

Also never said any of that.

I never said "F" anybody. I stated the fact -- and it is fact -- that state governments used to spend most of their money on investments for the future, but more and more of that is going to caring for the old and sick. You can say that is a worthwhile trade-off, if you want, and you certainly would have moral standing for it.

But if you wonder why the legislature keeps sending smaller and smaller checks to Iowa State and our peer universities, then you need to remember that scarcity is a thing. There is only so much to go around. When the money is going to Medicaid and IPERS, then it is not going to supporting the state university system like it used to.

Really? I am like the definition of a corporate wage slave here. People who work for their paycheck are the backbone of our society. So much so I think they should get to keep most of their own money.

For an academician, who are supposed to be known for their cool, logical, and dispassionate analysis of facts, you sure like to launch into profanity-laced tirades and take aim at ridiculous scarecrows.

You aimed east when I am standing between you and the sunset there, cowpoke.

I love the academy, loved my time there, and my "dream job" would probably still be something like a history or literature professor, but you are doing absolutely nothing but make the case against it right now.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
His self-awareness is legendary.
I can read academic text just fine. I don't see a reason to do it here, cuz different.

As a writer of an actual dissertation, it's not hard to change those gears.

As a writer of an actual dissertation, you should know the yawning gap in complexity and length between academic writing and anything I put up on here. If you can handle the reactor being at 100%, and the average CF post is more like 2%, then how hard is it to uptake one of mine at maybe 3% of your capacity? Even your average undergrad should have routinely grappled with far more complex and lengthy stuff than anything on here.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I registered here nine years ago. I have 17,500 posts.

That is roughly 2,000 per year.

~450 words about an incredibly complex topic

Congrats, you found one.

Not apologizing.

I freely admit I got way overboard back in the day, but I've tried to cool it. I think I've (mostly) had success in that effort.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I registered here nine years ago. I have 17,500 posts.

That is roughly 2,000 per year.

~450 words about an incredibly complex topic

Congrats, you found one.

Not apologizing.

I freely admit I got way overboard back in the day, but I've tried to cool it. I think I've (mostly) had success in that effort.
Is that because you tried or because you don’t post in the forum which would lead you to do that?

anyways I like your basketball posts, keep those going.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is that because you tried or because you don’t post in the forum which would lead you to do that?

anyways I like your basketball posts, keep those going.

I have made a conscious effort to rein it in because of the constructive, good faith criticism of posters who made their point respectfully and positively. Those posters no longer make those complaints, probably because I have done my best to reform (if imperfectly).

The ones who still whine about it were the ones who were disrespectful then and are disrespectful about it now. Hence why I am so keen to make the point their complaint is in bad faith -- its just a shortcut to avoid having to grapple with the real arguments on the table.

Thank you for saying nice things about basketball, though. :)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron