Mods could do a better job with threads/posters

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Because people become disenfranchised with what CF really is...a fan site for Iowa State.

CF is a community site for fans of iowa state. That does not mean it is limited to Iowa State discussions, and it never has. Some of the best discussion on this board has been stuff completely unrelated to ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
When opinion and unsubstantiated "truths" are presented as "non-political" and "factual", I am more likely to dive in with rebuttal. There was a Covid thread like that early on. It became a haven for misinformation and rumor and innuendo. I stayed out of it, because there was no way I could participate without calling out some of the bogus "facts" being presented.

If you (generic "you") are going to post a thread like that, it's disingenuous to whine when others refuse to let you continue with your disinformation campaign. Better to move it to the cave, because, AS PRESENTED, it is specifically political in nature.

Time-saver for the mods. One that I applaud.

Its worth noting, as time has gone on, the most informative covid thread on the board has been that one that ended up in the cave. Yes, there are political posts in that thread and no one tries to hide it. But it also means people arent self-censoring posts that are valid to the discussion because at the end of the day politics are inherent to the covid situation because the governmental response is so tied into it.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
More alarming is the number the actually are racists.

Some certainly are.

Probably not as many as you think, though.

There is also a pretty big continuum between the Archie Bunker types of the world... well-meaning but nonetheless offensive and hurtful out of their own ignorance and stupidity... and John C. Calhoun, ones with deep ideological commitments to hatred and discrimination.

Ones they are quite open about.

But that kind of nuance is not what online politics is for.

Online politics is for feeling angry. Because feeling angry is fun.

Nothing gets the blood pumping for a violent, chaotic species like ours by evolution like a good political flame war. Our lives have become so predictable, safe, and anodyne otherwise that we have to invent things to get angry about to feed our caveman brains.

• Creative
Reactions: alarson

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Actually no we would not. Some people are just ********. Here let me take a photo of my neighbor’s yard across the street for a huge example of this.
View attachment 75757
This guy doesn’t get along with his next-door neighbor, has falsely accused him of selling drugs. He hates immigrants and is aggressive towards the Hispanic and Italian-descent residents nearby. A couple weeks ago, he apparently lost his mind and rented this sign, which illuminates the entire neighborhood at night. And it’s right across the street from my house. I took this photo from my front lawn. Luckily I have a tree perfectly positioned to keep it out of my direct view from my bedroom window. It’s still rather bright.

My biggest annoyance is a sign like this demands the sale of corndogs and funnel cakes to come along with it. Hey, Dave, where are my goddamn funnel cakes?!

It doesn't say anything about no brothels at least.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: aauummm and harimad

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
People ONLY want to reinforce their own flimsy beliefs. Me included but understanding that is step 1....

And people for some evolutionary reason want to feel like they are better than others. Has to be a brain chemical genetic thing that evolved.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Who had any negative actions against them in the past two threads? Moving a thread into the Cave is not a punishment; it is a realignment based off of content that helps keep the rest of the board from seeing information that they don't want to see. That's great that you have the Cave hidden; so too do other people. But just because someone (you or anyone else) doesn't want to see the rest of politics but DOES want to talk about one political topic doesn't mean that they can drag it into other threads.

I didn't "punish" or ban anyone, particularly not the people keeping it apolitical - but, despite poor @madguy30's original intent, neither of the last two threads were apolitical. Some people were just slightly better about hiding it than others.

To use a really bad analogy, but all I can think of offhand. If pizza is only supposed to be eaten in the kitchen, and I walk into my oldest child's bedroom and she is hiding in the closet eating it hoping I don't notice, and then walk into my younger child's bedroom and he's eating it on his bed and flinging it on the walls, neither of them are following the rule to only eat pizza in the kitchen. I'm not going to let the child who hid it better get away with it. In this instance, we just put all of the pizza where it rightfully belongs so it doesn't make a mess everywhere else - they both were disregarding the rules.
Mmmmmm, pizza.
1600890050571.png

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I get a kick out of people who say "ban the cave" - as people don't exhibit identical, if not worse, behavior in threads on the sports boards during bad seasons.

Hell, not even during bad seasons. I didn't see a single call to moderate people's behavior when everyone went on a feeding frenzy after Pollard's podcast meltdown. There are countless examples like this over the years.

People are totally cool with tribalism, as long as the tribalism allowed is their tribe.

Block it, develop a thicker skin, or even better - educate yourself enough to have an opinion on something worth defending, then get in and defend it.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
And people for some evolutionary reason want to feel like they are better than others. Has to be a brain chemical genetic thing that evolved.

Believing fully and entirely in the moral righteousness of one's tribe was not just a fun thing to do in hunter-gathered societies -- it was a prerequisite for survival. Needing to look past the failings of your own kind (to maintain the solidarity of the same) while finding every reason to hate (to motivate you to shun them, or even destroy rival bands, violently if necessary) posed an advantage. The tribes that stuck together and reproduced won, and the ones who worried about the nuances and complexities of morality perished. There is your evolutionary reason, if you wanted it.

We have only abandoned that "might makes right" as a self-evident moral system as a species in the last few minutes of our species' "day" of existence, and not even all that well much of the time.

I get a kick out of people who say "ban the cave" - as people don't exhibit identical, if not worse, behavior in threads on the sports boards during bad seasons.

Hell, not even during bad seasons. I didn't see a single call to moderate people's behavior when everyone went on a feeding frenzy after Pollard's podcast meltdown. There are countless examples like this over the years.

Block it, develop a thicker skin, or even better - educate yourself enough to have an opinion on something worth defending, then get in and defend it.

You are not wrong the sports boards can be bad, but I do not think I have seen anything in them like a slow Tuesday in the Cave.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
More alarming is the number the actually are racists.
Of course, but people get labeled racist not for taking part in racist activity, not for failing to condemn it, and not for denying its prevalence in society, but for not assigning racism a large enough share for the cause of challenges facing people of color.

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: alarson

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I enjoy when the cave counters and successfully maneuvers around posters that bloviate and where countering that is taken as a objurgation upon their views, and especially those that like'em young (really the same crowd). Self righteousness is typically quickly neutered. The cave is a chance to learn and better understand. Sometimes it does that well, other times not so much.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
327dff8b08325f85d0498b35ecfa3feb.gif

Reactions: keepngoal

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Um, it's Live and Let Die, thank you, and when Roger Moore runs across the backs of those gators, they were live gators, not props!

Not only live, but they did 4-5 takes. By the 4th take, the alligators knew what was coming and tried to buck him off quick:

Reactions: CtownCyclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I enjoy when the cave counters and successfully maneuvers around posters that bloviate and where countering that is taken as a objurgation upon their views, and especially those that like'em young (really the same crowd). Self righteousness is typically quickly neutered. The cave is a chance to learn and better understand. Sometimes it does that well, other times not so much.

Nah, it is mostly people calling each other (and various public figures) mean names. Reminds me of Mean Girls quite a bit, really.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron