Mods could do a better job with threads/posters

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
And even if they are not nameless it is futile 99% of the time. Just look at Facebook when it is people you do know. People have their minds made up on pretty much everything.

People ONLY want to reinforce their own flimsy beliefs. Me included but understanding that is step 1....

• Agree
Reactions: flycy

kcbob79clone

giphy.gif

Flag on the play, misuse of Star Trek: TOS gifs :)

• Haha
Reactions: Gorm

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
It just makes people feel good about themselves. Just to vent. Or it is the I am smarter than you or better than you angle. But it all goes nowhere. Funny **** is, if we were all neighbors we'd all get along just fine, unless you let your dog **** on my lawn often and not pick it up.
Actually no we would not. Some people are just ********. Here let me take a photo of my neighbor’s yard across the street for a huge example of this.
933DFC0E-D069-4ECF-B5E8-FE1BD77B5F9B.jpeg
This guy doesn’t get along with his next-door neighbor, has falsely accused him of selling drugs. He hates immigrants and is aggressive towards the Hispanic and Italian-descent residents nearby. A couple weeks ago, he apparently lost his mind and rented this sign, which illuminates the entire neighborhood at night. And it’s right across the street from my house. I took this photo from my front lawn. Luckily I have a tree perfectly positioned to keep it out of my direct view from my bedroom window. It’s still rather bright.

My biggest annoyance is a sign like this demands the sale of corndogs and funnel cakes to come along with it. Hey, Dave, where are my goddamn funnel cakes?!

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I generally try to stay out of the thread but this is just a laughable explanation IMO. Covid is a political topic that has significant non political implications. If you want to ban Covid talk not directly relating to Iowa State fine but otherwise you have to punish the problem posters. I guess I’m not sure how you can complain about the nature of the OP when really they are trying to keep it in the off topic realm and away from the political realm.

The response to the pandemic has been an all around crap storm. I could rant about the response from certain political people that you’d probably agree with. That doesn’t mean a discussion about looking for positive signs is political. You can have an off topic discussion that is apolitical.

So is the rule no Covid discussions that don’t directly relate to Iowa State? Otherwise what actually is the rule?

I'm glad you laughed, it was meant to be laughed at. Glad you agree.

Nobody said that you couldn't speak about COVID. Nobody said you couldn't do it outside the Cave. The issue comes when people can't control themselves from turning it political and making jabs. We've given ad nauseum warnings and closed several threads. I let a second iteration of a closed thread continue (which IS directly against site rules) until it became abundantly clear to everyone in it why we closed the first one. It was open for several pages of obviously political posts before I moved it, so please let's not all act like this was a totalitarian move.

The rule is pretty simple - if you have something to post that is political or politically slanted, post it in the Cave. If it's not, you can post it in the rest of the forums. You also don't get to control what happens in your thread - this is the internet in 2020. Just because you label something as "positive" or "realistic" or whatever moniker you want to use does not mean that anyone is obliged to keep it that way. If you are in question on if it's political or not, probably err on the side of caution and put it in the Cave. (So, I guess, the rule is "common sense?")

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Especially when the definition of "serial violators" is concerned. Most of the issues were created by "positive posters" who decided to inject personal views into their posts rather than just posting links and information. This in turn led, not surprisingly to anyone, to those who Bob would undoubtedly consider serial violators to do things. To his credit, Bob didn't generally engage in that , unlike some of his brethren, who undoubtedly would not be considered violators by old postive Bob. You reap what you sow, Bob. And yes, I think the Mods do know who "they" (the true violators) are.
Can you do that again but less pretentious lawyer? :jimlad:

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I have a lot more free time on my hands nowadays and view The Cave as great entertainment. I am truly fascinated by people's opinions and their perspectives. I always wonder if there were significant events or a culmination of many things when people have such firm opinions on all of these topics.

Do the people that have such firm opinions also carry on in their day-to-day life with these strict convictions on who is right and who is wrong? Is this an avenue or a release to show the world how strongly they feel? Or are there people that are truly quiet day-to-day and this is their release? I don't have any answers, but I do find the study of human nature in The Cave to be fascinating. Obviously, I have too much time on my hands to be entertained by The Cave.

Also, the name calling and pre-judging of people is wildly creative and funny. I have not been around middle-school name calling and clicks for a while.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
It just makes people feel good about themselves. Just to vent. Or it is the I am smarter than you or better than you angle. But it all goes nowhere. Funny **** is, if we were all neighbors we'd all get along just fine, unless you let your dog **** on my lawn often and not pick it up.
What’s your address