Mizzou

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My uninformed opinion is we're going to see Mizzou have a similar season as LSU did with Simmons.

I'd love this, but Missouri has a lot more talent than LSU. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Missouri doesn't end up in the top 4 or 5 of the SEC and make the tournament. I think we'll be glad we're getting them early.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Yea, I remember watching it. Potter's team at home beat Oak Hill by a bucket or so. Lindell scored in the twenties and I remember smh late in the game because they never gave Lindell touches when earlier he was scoring at will. Porter had a big game, he was beating Oak Hills bigs down the court MacKay style.

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
I guess Talley makes more sense, but Porter is a Small Forward that is the reason I even ask. Could go bigger body or smaller and quicker. But go too much one way and you got mismatches.

You don't think Solo will be needed for major help D?? I guess that was unclear in how I phrased it. Porter will try to get to the rim. But in terms of match-up, yes ZT and NWB would be best guess.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
You don't think Solo will be needed for major help D?? I guess that was unclear in how I phrased it. Porter will try to get to the rim. But in terms of match-up, yes ZT and NWB would be best guess.
this may have just been in HS cause he was by far the best player on the court basically 100% of the time, I saw him pull up from deep alot, had a nice looking jumper and release. We gotta hope he isn't on from downtown and take our lumps with him getting to the rim as it is going to be hard to stop him all the time.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Who guards (elder)Porter? NWB?
Ideally, Lard is more polished and experienced than he is, but that's not going to be the case.

I guess Talley, if it turns out he is starting. Maybe Beverly off the bench at times, for more bulk. I don't see Young being able keep up with him.

I usually think it's cliche, and lacking knowledge, to throw out the "we should play more zone," but in this game, that may be what's needed. They have lots of size and athleticism, but couldn't make 3s last year, and who knows about their new guys yet. That said, it'd be awfully hard for an inexperienced Iowa St team to come out and play good zone, without getting lost, and giving up easy buckets, in their first game.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

NewClone09

Jan 7, 2009
Ames, IA
this may have just been in HS cause he was by far the best player on the court basically 100% of the time, I saw him pull up from deep alot, had a nice looking jumper and release. We gotta hope he isn't on from downtown and take our lumps with him getting to the rim as it is going to be hard to stop him all the time.

I think he’s too dynamic and athletic to not try, maybe not in game 1, but still. I’d rather him launch bombs than drive and finish, and probably racking up some fouls on us. Scary player.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and srjclone

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
We are all familiar with Mizzou but I was curious so here is our history:

All time series MU 147 to 84
@ ISU ISU 58 to 47
@MU MU 84 to 21
neutral site MU 16 to 5
last 10 games MU 9 to 1
since Big 12 began MU 18 to 14

At least the guys should not feel there is any pressure going into this game. We are the definite underdog historically. Need to give them the same treatment we gave Colorado.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I just think it’s awesome this Mizzou game is exciting. Porter is crazy good, but I think Babb and Talley can defend him well.

Always A Tiger

Oct 6, 2017
Greetings from Missouri. Before I touch on basketball, I want to congratulate ISU on their huge win in Norman yesterday. For many years ISU was my second favorite team in the Big XII and for the last few years they have been my favorite. There are many Mizzou fans who feel the same. In fact, after out game next month, I hope you win all your games until if/when we would meet in the postseason.

I'm old and attended every Mizzou/ISU football game and all but one or two basketball games in Columbia since 1972 and a few others before that while I was a student. I was very happy to see this game on our schedule though I freely admit when it was announced, my only question was how many points we would lose by. As has been mentioned in this thread a few things have changed since then.

I have enjoyed reading all of this and I do want to address a couple items that were brought up early on. Someone compared Missouri hiring Michael Porter, SR to kansas hiring Danny Manning's dad. The only similarity is they are both fathers of star recruits. Michael Porter, SR was the Director of Basketball Operations for three years and then an assistant coach another three years for the Mizzou women's basketball team. There he worked for his sister-in-law, Robin Pingeton. His wife Lisa Becker Porter, Robin's sister, was a star player at the University of Iowa in the 1980s after averaging 58 points per game as a senior at Jefferson High in Cedar Rapids. I believe she then played professionally for a time overseas. She and her husband are both 6'4".

Two years ago, then Coach Kim Anderson, tried to hire Porter, SR to be his assistant on the men's team. However, considering the dumpster fire we were at the time he turned it down. Then Lorenzo Romar who had played with Porter, SR on Athletes in Action and is Michael JR's Godfather hired Sr to be an assistant at Washington and later JR. signed an LOI and Jontay gave a verbal. The Porter family consists of five boys and three girls, with the two oldest girls being on the Mizzou women's team. Even before Romar was fired, he had sent feelers back to the Mizzou AD through his sister-in-law, that they might be interested in returning to Columbia where they had lived for six years. They are a unique family and that's an understatement. All eight kids were/are home-schooled through elementary school and are as close-knit as you will find anywhere. When Romar was fired, that was the end of the Porters in Washington. So Porter, SR has seven years experience in college basketball, the last four as an assistant coach, with the last one on the Washington men's team.

Also, after Jeremiah Tilmon was released from his LOI to Illinois some thought they would block him to Mizzou just like a lot of Illini fans did. However, the block rule only applies to the transfer of players already enrolled in school. There is no blocking of a player who had never been enrolled in school.

Finally, if you haven't already heard, the ticket situation isn't good for those wanting to attnd and who don't already have tickets. The entire arena is sold out for the season. The only available single game tickets will if an opposing team returns some of theirs. Though the attendance has been awful the last few years. the Hearnes Center was sold out for many years in the 1980s and 90s though there were often a lot of no-shows for some of the low-level non-conference games.

Needless to say, nothing quite like this has ever happened before. No doubt the last three horrible years plus the fact that our football team is having a horrible year has only intensified the interest. Good luck to finding tickets at a reasonable price to those who want to attend.

I hope to see some of you there and good luck again in every other game.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Greetings from Missouri. Before I touch on basketball, I want to congratulate ISU on their huge win in Norman yesterday. For many years ISU was my second favorite team in the Big XII and for the last few years they have been my favorite. There are many Mizzou fans who feel the same. In fact, after out game next month, I hope you win all your games until if/when we would meet in the postseason.

I'm old and attended every Mizzou/ISU football game and all but one or two basketball games in Columbia since 1972 and a few others before that while I was a student. I was very happy to see this game on our schedule though I freely admit when it was announced, my only question was how many points we would lose by. As has been mentioned in this thread a few things have changed since then.

I have enjoyed reading all of this and I do want to address a couple items that were brought up early on. Someone compared Missouri hiring Michael Porter, SR to kansas hiring Danny Manning's dad. The only similarity is they are both fathers of star recruits. Michael Porter, SR was the Director of Basketball Operations for three years and then an assistant coach another three years for the Mizzou women's basketball team. There he worked for his sister-in-law, Robin Pingeton. His wife Lisa Becker Porter, Robin's sister, was a star player at the University of Iowa in the 1980s after averaging 58 points per game as a senior at Jefferson High in Cedar Rapids. I believe she then played professionally for a time overseas. She and her husband are both 6'4".

Two years ago, then Coach Kim Anderson, tried to hire Porter, SR to be his assistant on the men's team. However, considering the dumpster fire we were at the time he turned it down. Then Lorenzo Romar who had played with Porter, SR on Athletes in Action and is Michael JR's Godfather hired Sr to be an assistant at Washington and later JR. signed an LOI and Jontay gave a verbal. The Porter family consists of five boys and three girls, with the two oldest girls being on the Mizzou women's team. Even before Romar was fired, he had sent feelers back to the Mizzou AD through his sister-in-law, that they might be interested in returning to Columbia where they had lived for six years. They are a unique family and that's an understatement. All eight kids were/are home-schooled through elementary school and are as close-knit as you will find anywhere. When Romar was fired, that was the end of the Porters in Washington. So Porter, SR has seven years experience in college basketball, the last four as an assistant coach, with the last one on the Washington men's team.

Also, after Jeremiah Tilmon was released from his LOI to Illinois some thought they would block him to Mizzou just like a lot of Illini fans did. However, the block rule only applies to the transfer of players already enrolled in school. There is no blocking of a player who had never been enrolled in school.

Finally, if you haven't already heard, the ticket situation isn't good for those wanting to attnd and who don't already have tickets. The entire arena is sold out for the season. The only available single game tickets will if an opposing team returns some of theirs. Though the attendance has been awful the last few years. the Hearnes Center was sold out for many years in the 1980s and 90s though there were often a lot of no-shows for some of the low-level non-conference games.

Needless to say, nothing quite like this has ever happened before. No doubt the last three horrible years plus the fact that our football team is having a horrible year has only intensified the interest. Good luck to finding tickets at a reasonable price to those who want to attend.

I hope to see some of you there and good luck again in every other game.
Baffling that you fired that elite basketball mind Kim Anderson. May have had a shot against us this year with him. Now I'm not so sure.

Always A Tiger

Oct 6, 2017
I miss having Missouri in conference and having another nearby school to road trip to. I have to think most fans kinda hate being in the SEC.

Most fans are thrilled to be in the SEC. Of course there are always a few who are against anything including motherhood and apple pie! While we enjoyed the long-time rivalries of the Big 8 and then Big XII, we are loving the stability and money from the SEC and the SEC Network alone makes the move outstanding. It's also great to not be at the mercy of Texas and have one or two schools run much of the conference. We have been full members, both financial and otherwise, since Day 1.

I'm not the only one here who would love to see our schools play on an annual basis or close to it in both basketball and football.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
This is why I hope Mizzou loses every game they ever play and find their recent athletic failures entertaining. Karma is a *****

x2_b68e3ec.jpg