Mizzou

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Mizzou may have just gone from a blazing dumpster fire to a team that might be favored to beat us next year.

Michael Porter, Jr (#1 recruit in the country) received his release from UW and is predicted to go to Mizzou since his father just got hired onto Martin's staff.

Talk that his little brother Jontay (4* recruit) may try to graduate HS a year early in order to play with his brother for one year together, since big bro is a one-and-done.

If those two commit, will be likely another high profile prospect or two will take a serious look at joining MU.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
If there is one thing that I know its that Cuonzo Martin couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Unfortunately with the early in the season date it is unlikely he will have had time to make all his players terrible yet. It will be a tough one for sure. Going to have to have big games out of Babb and Jackson, and I think that's well within reason at this point.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I got a feeling this game is going to look pretty sloppy on both sides.

Mizzou was such hot garbage last year, I'm still not sure Porter will be enough to get them into tourney consideration. People compare him to a Durant, or Beasley, but even they had a solid supporting cast. And I do think Michael Porter is legit, however I'm not sure about his brother Jontay. Seems to be riding his brother's coattail.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
How do these trash programs land AAA talent like that?

Like, I get it if he goes to like KU, or a school with a lot of recent success (say a UVA) or that is trending upwards in some manner (such as a TCU or something like that).

But... Mizzou? UW? It does not make sense.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
How do these trash programs land AAA talent like that?

Like, I get it if he goes to like KU, or a school with a lot of recent success (say a UVA) or that is trending upwards in some manner (such as a TCU or something like that).

But... Mizzou? UW? It does not make sense.
Is this a serious question or are you asking if Porter Sr is getting a cut of the 3.5?

He's from Columbia and his dad will coach there

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I got a feeling this game is going to look pretty sloppy on both sides.

Mizzou was such hot garbage last year, I'm still not sure Porter will be enough to get them into tourney consideration. People compare him to a Durant, or Beasley, but even they had a solid supporting cast. And I do think Michael Porter is legit, however I'm not sure about his brother Jontay. Seems to be riding his brother's coattail.
I have a hard time believing that Martin will be able to get anything out of the collection of players that remain and are coming in. His returning players are from a team that won 8 games last year and while Porter will certainly help out, you just don't seamlessly and quickly turn that collection into a top 50 team. Reminds me of the situation at UNLV...top talent, parents on the staff, debatable coaching...sub-par results.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I really don't think adding Michael Porter Jr immediately will make that horrendous team a threat for an NCAA tourney run. Will it make them a much better team? Yes, but I still would like our chances.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This is no different than KU hiring Manning's dad (pretty sure that is the right player). hire the dad get the son/daughter let them be an assistant for 1-4 yrs rinse and repeat.
That was a lot dirtier. Porter Sr will be a bench coach.

Let's see who we add. They won't be Porter level but they don't need to be

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Mizzou will be better with Porter but that program is gutted with their talented players transferring out and bad recruiting for the past 3 years. In fact I heard if they lose any more to transfer they maybe tourney ineligible. Could mean Porter ultimately decides to go somewhere else. (he'll sign a financial aid agreement thus open his recruitment again.)
LSU 2 years ago, and Washington this year added the #1 Player in the draft and didn't make the tourney in weak conferences. I player doesn't make a team.

Adding Porter does make the Mizzou game more fun for ISU fans to watch and raises the games profile leading to national interest. Much better for ISU schedule in the long run.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is this a serious question or are you asking if Porter Sr is getting a cut of the 3.5?

He's from Columbia and his dad will coach there

I thought the Johnny Cochran at the end was to make it pretty clear that, while it makes perfect sense for the reasons you ascribe, it is still complete nonsense.

If the kid wants to go to his hometown school, I get that. But how hiring family members is not a form of paying athletes, well, never going to figure that one out.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: wclarson and tzjung

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Funny how those things seem to happen when ISU gets on their schedule.

I assume by his Dad getting a job at Mizzou its all but done.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
This is no different than KU hiring Manning's dad (pretty sure that is the right player). hire the dad get the son/daughter let them be an assistant for 1-4 yrs rinse and repeat.

At least Micheal Porter Sr has some coaching experience (AAU). Manning's father was a truck driver before landing a position on Larry Brown's staff, IIRC. KU also did this with Mario Chalmers dad.

** Edit - Looked at Michael Porter Sr bio and saw he used to play for Athletes in Action after college. Wonder if he ever made an exhibition game appearance in Hilton. We used to play then quite a bit in years past.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
An assistant coach's job is to land recruits. Hiring a coach who has an elite recruit as a son is no different than hiring a coach who has a great relationship with a recruit or their AAU/high school coach, etc... Thats what they are hired for, to utilize their relationships to get players.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
An assistant coach's job is to land recruits. Hiring a coach who has an elite recruit as a son is no different than hiring a coach who has a great relationship with a recruit or their AAU/high school coach, etc... Thats what they are hired for, to utilize their relationships to get players.

It's always good to see how a KU fan would view things.