Metronet vs Mediacom

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I have heard mostly bad things about metronet. People agreeing to a deal then month after month go by without them hearing back from them.

I don't understand the mediacom hate. Yes there is an occasional outage, but I haven't had the bad experiences others of had.

I hate them with a passion. They could never figure out how to install internet at our house so we were spared that. When the cable kept going out on our whole block for months at a time and then back again, the repair guy comes on the rare day it’s working, makes a call in my house in front of my kids and calls me a lying *****. So yeah I will never not hate them.

cysdaone

Mar 18, 2015
Des Moines Area
I had metronet installed last week. It has been working fine, however I am not able to get the full 500/500 speed when connected to wifi. It does get the full speed when testing it by hardwiring to the modem. Are others able to get the full speed through wifi? The metronet tech support guy says it will always be a range using wifi.

Also, when using metronet, Chrome browser displays "This site can't be reached" momentarily before loading websites and other apps aren't able to find internet connections. When I tried switching back to mediacom to test, it works fine. Has anyone experienced this?

Metronet tech support hasn't helped at all.

Thanks for the help, I am not really technical when it comes to this stuff.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I had metronet installed last week. It has been working fine, however I am not able to get the full 500/500 speed when connected to wifi. It does get the full speed when testing it by hardwiring to the modem. Are others able to get the full speed through wifi? The metronet tech support guy says it will always be a range using wifi.

Also, when using metronet, Chrome browser displays "This site can't be reached" momentarily before loading websites and other apps aren't able to find internet connections. When I tried switching back to mediacom to test, it works fine. Has anyone experienced this?

Metronet tech support hasn't helped at all.

Thanks for the help, I am not really technical when it comes to this stuff.

I started getting full speeds on my wifi after I upgraded my wireless router. I will say some of my devices do not but it's a limitation of those devices because others do get the full speed over wifi.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Patiently waiting for them to get to our part of the neighborhood. How do these guys do with avoiding irrigation lines?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
In case anybody was curious, Metronet has been great ever since the outage, which looks to have been an isolated incident. The technology fee still annoys me, but it includes a good router (I received an Eero mesh router but I think it can vary). Still can't say it's any better than Mediacom for me, but if you're a power user it's definitely worth the switch.

What if you're the type of guy who likes to purchase and maintain his equipment? I have Mediacom and own/manage everything from the box and in. I have much less problems this way. And I'm not wild about having to lease equipment again.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
What if you're the type of guy who likes to purchase and maintain his equipment? I have Mediacom and own/manage everything from the box and in. I have much less problems this way. And I'm not wild about having to lease equipment again.
Ya, I definitely don't love that part. You can still use your own equipment with Metronet, but you still have to pay the technology fee regardless. I'd go with which is cheaper, Mediacom with your equipment vs Metronet with their technology fee.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Had Metronet installed last Thursday 9/16, they had it live in less than an hour after they started and did a nice job running the line to where I wanted it in the basement. Got the 500 MB package and my speed tests are very close to that. Usually get 484 MB or higher Download and 458 MB or better Upload on average depending on which device I run the test from. My Google Mesh router runs a speed test every day and 484/458 seems to be

The very next day had brief outage right around lunch time that was back up and running in maybe 30 minutes. Tonight it went down again around 4:30p and hasn't came back yet and heard its everyone in the Grimes & Urbandale area and also hearing some with Mediacom in Grimes went out around the same time too. Someone just posted on our community Facebook page a Tweet from Metronet at 7:06pm that says "This outage is due to a damaged line between two cities that are affecting almost all of IA. We are working toward restoring as soon as we can. We have techs on-site repairing as we speak." Hoping this is just a blip of bad luck because this is the only fiber option I have in my neighborhood. Not canceling my CenturyLink service until they bury my fiber cable they ran into my house and I have a stretch of stability in service. The best I can get with CL is 80 MB service and I have had enough bad experiences with Mediacom both as a former customer and supporting people working from home that have had some crappy service from them that they are not an option for me either. I hear great things about Mi-Fiber and have been on their waiting list for a couple years now but seems like they are mostly running their fiber in new neighborhoods in Grimes and not many of the existing ones.

The one good thing I will say about Metronet so far is they are pretty prompt about sending out email and text alerts about when they have an outage and when it has been restored as well as advanced notice of a scheduled maintenance after 1am that may cause a brief outage which I've never had that kind of transparency and promptness with CL or MC. Figured with a new service that was just put in place going to have a few hiccups initially as they got more customers online. I was going to have Metronet installed on 9/1 until my 4 year old tested positive for Covid a few days before that so we had to delay the appointment a couple weeks till we were in the clear so some bad luck in how our initial experience has been due to the timing of the install.

• Informative
Reactions: CyDawg23

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Had Metronet installed 3 days ago in Grimes and currently in a 4+ hour outage. Not the best start and wife already wants to go back to Mediacom. Obviously not going to do that because of one outage but it’s a pretty bad look at least anecdotally after having zero outages for the longest time with Mediacom.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I joined last September as soon as it was available in Ames and the service was very poor, I tried it for a month but didn't cancel Mediacom and ended up going back to Mediacom. I decided I'd wait until they had some time to get things settled, signed up again this March and have had zero complaints so far.

I don't know how long it took them to get their **** together though since I was still using Mediacom in the mean time.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
So a bit ago the power flickered several times then everything in the house rebooted. Metronet is back and now CenturyLink is down. LOL! Begin conspiracy theories...

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
Had Metronet installed last Thursday 9/16, they had it live in less than an hour after they started and did a nice job running the line to where I wanted it in the basement. Got the 500 MB package and my speed tests are very close to that. Usually get 484 MB or higher Download and 458 MB or better Upload on average depending on which device I run the test from. My Google Mesh router runs a speed test every day and 484/458 seems to be

The very next day had brief outage right around lunch time that was back up and running in maybe 30 minutes. Tonight it went down again around 4:30p and hasn't came back yet and heard its everyone in the Grimes & Urbandale area and also hearing some with Mediacom in Grimes went out around the same time too. Someone just posted on our community Facebook page a Tweet from Metronet at 7:06pm that says "This outage is due to a damaged line between two cities that are affecting almost all of IA. We are working toward restoring as soon as we can. We have techs on-site repairing as we speak." Hoping this is just a blip of bad luck because this is the only fiber option I have in my neighborhood. Not canceling my CenturyLink service until they bury my fiber cable they ran into my house and I have a stretch of stability in service. The best I can get with CL is 80 MB service and I have had enough bad experiences with Mediacom both as a former customer and supporting people working from home that have had some crappy service from them that they are not an option for me either. I hear great things about Mi-Fiber and have been on their waiting list for a couple years now but seems like they are mostly running their fiber in new neighborhoods in Grimes and not many of the existing ones.

The one good thing I will say about Metronet so far is they are pretty prompt about sending out email and text alerts about when they have an outage and when it has been restored as well as advanced notice of a scheduled maintenance after 1am that may cause a brief outage which I've never had that kind of transparency and promptness with CL or MC. Figured with a new service that was just put in place going to have a few hiccups initially as they got more customers online. I was going to have Metronet installed on 9/1 until my 4 year old tested positive for Covid a few days before that so we had to delay the appointment a couple weeks till we were in the clear so some bad luck in how our initial experience has been due to the timing of the install.
Metronet is installing this Friday. Right now signed up for 1 gig, but think I will drop to 200 or 500.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I joined last September as soon as it was available in Ames and the service was very poor, I tried it for a month but didn't cancel Mediacom and ended up going back to Mediacom. I decided I'd wait until they had some time to get things settled, signed up again this March and have had zero complaints so far.

I don't know how long it took them to get their **** together though since I was still using Mediacom in the mean time.

I've had the exact opposite experience. I was very happy with Metronets install process and I honestly think in the year or so I've had it maybe one brief outage. If something doesn't work I now assume it's my device not the actual service.

I went with Google mesh in the house and zero complaints.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I've had the exact opposite experience. I was very happy with Metronets install process and I honestly think in the year or so I've had it maybe one brief outage. If something doesn't work I now assume it's my device not the actual service.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: CapnCy

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006

So if I'm not doing a phone line, and live in a ranch house, do you really think that I would need a Google mesh, or would I be fine with what they supply, since that is part of the $9.95 price?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
So if I'm not doing a phone line, and live in a ranch house, do you really think that I would need a Google mesh, or would I be fine with what they supply, since that is part of the $9.95 price?

I have a ranch, if I put the router in the living room the signal is great on the main floor. It totally sucks in the basement which is where I have an office. I got google mesh with 4 access points from Costco for $399. It is freaking fantastic, I can get signal all over, no channels to switch, it just works. Even stretches out into the front and back yards for listening to music while mowing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron