Not open for further replies.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We're trying to think of something fun to do with our kids on Monday that still socially distances and everything. We went to Jester Park on Mother's Day, and are trying to think of something other than just walking trails and such (especially since it looks like it will storm).

Does anyone have any fun plans they can share for ideas?

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
We're trying to think of something fun to do with our kids on Monday that still socially distances and everything. We went to Jester Park on Mother's Day, and are trying to think of something other than just walking trails and such (especially since it looks like it will storm).

Camping

Reactions: Angie

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm doing some cooking for my wife this weekend. Saturday and Sunday I plan on trying to cook up a couple of dishes from the Food Wars! anime/manga, and Monday the plan is to grill out in the backyard. The kids can do whatever - they're not going to eat most of what I cook up anyway.

We're also not going many places this weekend, as my wife is still recovering. Fortunately it wasn't COVID (the doctors don't think), but it was early onset hypertension as well as bile getting into places it shouldn't causing infections and GERD. Her life has sucked the past few weeks.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
You could go by one of the many flag displays at veterans' monuments and/or cemeteries and observe the meaning of Memorial Day and teach the next generation. The State Capitol in Des Moines is basically a big Memorial built by the aging survivors of the Civil War to their fallen comrades. It is always worth a visit...the grounds and statues outside are powerful.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
At 3 p.m. on Monday, please take a minute of your time, in silence, to remember and honor those who have died in the service of our country either over there or after they returned home.

If possible, consider doing something to give back to this country that has given us so much freedom and opportunity.

https://www.va.gov/opa/speceven/memday/history.asp

...the White House Commission on the National Moment of Remembrance. The commission’s charter is to “encourage the people of the United States to give something back to their country, which provides them so much freedom and opportunity” by encouraging and coordinating commemorations in the United States of Memorial Day and the National Moment of Remembrance.

The National Moment of Remembrance encourages all Americans to pause wherever they are at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day for a minute of silence to remember and honor those who have died in service to the nation. As Moment of Remembrance founder Carmella LaSpada states: “It’s a way we can all help put the memorial back in Memorial Day.”

Last edited:

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Big pitcher of sangria and will find various cuts of beef. (Didn’t hoard beef. Keep a half in the freezer and it was restocked in April)

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We bought a deluxe inflatable pool for lije $25 from walmart and a huge cantilever umbrella from amazon. Pool party weekend. I also put up one of those circular web swings and it swings out over the street behind our house (it’s hard to explain how our house sits and “street” is probably a strong word.

Reactions: Macloney and Angie

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

go to your ancestors' grave sites.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You could go by one of the many flag displays at veterans' monuments and/or cemeteries and observe the meaning of Memorial Day and teach the next generation. The State Capitol in Des Moines is basically a big Memorial built by the aging survivors of the Civil War to their fallen comrades. It is always worth a visit...the grounds and statues outside are powerful.

That is lovely and a great idea. It might storm all day tomorrow, but we could at least drove through there and the cemetery, and then look at the statues and such this week.

we got a big cantilever umbrella for our deck like @Gunnerclone today and put it up. I am thinking it won’t be rain resistant, but we can use it this week for sure.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Just don't do something like this. ****ing idiots.

yeah them people going out and enjoying freedom. Those are not the people causing problems. Those are the people who have decided enough is enough. Sitting at your house doing nothing is not solving any problems. There is no cure. The hospitals are not over ran with patients. There really is no reason to sit at home and avoid life. There is risk everywhere In life. If you want to sit home and avoid it then fine. That’s totally your thing and I respect it. However, some of us want to live our lives and have fun.

Reactions: ArgentCy
Status
Not open for further replies.