Matt Campbell gets PAID.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I totally agree. I love what Coach has done with this team and hope his success continues as a Cyclone for a very long time......But what good is a contract to us when the Elite P5s, with deep pockets, want a proven winner?

Jim McElwain hjad a 7.5 million dollar buyout clause with Colorado st. Florida only paid about 3 million of it, and did it in installments. McElwain paid installments to the tune of 2 million, and Florida gave CSU $2 million for a game in the swamp.

Granted Florida knew CSU would take some bargaining on that deal, but they still didn't just show up with the cash and say lets go. ISU doesn't need the payout like CSU did either.

If CMC's contract raises the buyout in some form or fashion, I just don't see anyone writing that check.

Last edited:

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
San Francisco, California
Pollad on call in show said original buyout and guarentee remains unchanged. It was amended by extending 2 years and increased in salary.
OK. so that means the terms stayed the same but the amounts change to reflect his new salary? Or the amounts stay tied to his old salary? I believe the way it was written he just owed the balance of his contract. I always thought $9.5m was untouchable but the top 5 schools in the country, but starting at $7m and thereafter it becomes much more feasible. If his buyout goes to $22.5m effective today, that is phenomenal.

Reactions: xr4ticlone

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
Now's our turn. Donate and buy tickets. Expect a ticket price increase. Don't ***** about it. If we're gonna be in the big boy club we have to pay the big boy prices.

Personally, I'm pumped enough now to say I am going to double my Gridiron Club level next year.

Doesn't there seem to be less of a dependence on donations from average fans? I am not seeing the same level of intensity of fund raising directed at average fans as there used to be in the pre-mega-tv-contract days.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Anyone know what a typical agents cut is for a coach. If it is say 20% his salary is equivalent to someone with a 4.3M contract. Coach Campbell not having an agent is all you need to know about what is important to him. (hint: It isn't shopping his name around for bigger salaries and blue blood schools)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
OK. so that means the terms stayed the same but the amounts change to reflect his new salary? Or the amounts stay tied to his old salary? I believe the way it was written he just owed the balance of his contract. I always thought $9.5m was untouchable but the top 5 schools in the country, but starting at $7m and thereafter it becomes much more feasible. If his buyout goes to $22.5m effective today, that is phenomenal.

It isn't 22.5 million. It will be $7 million next year. That came directly from Jamie.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Buyout and guarentee was a seperate clause of contract and is unchanged. The terms and amounts of buyout remain same as original contract. Prior contract was a fully guarenteed contract both ways and essentially now it isn't. It is partially guarenteed both ways. Basically he got more money and time but all the new money is not guarenteed and hence not part of buyout either. Basically he agreed to and got more money for being our coach as long as he is our coach. We basickly sweetened the pot to keep him happy but neither side really upped the committment. I think it is fair and a good deal. Would I be happier with a fully guarenteed deal. Heck yeah, but Jamie didn't have that leverage and frankly knows the best way to keep campbell here is to make it so he wants to be here and feel wanted and be treated fairly. He got that today from Jamie.

Last edited:

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Herbie1.jpg

Dear networks, thinking about a new hire? Don't hire this idiot!

Could the hype caused by media actually helped the AD justify and follow thru on this raise for CMC and staff??????? If so, thank my herbie .......:cool:

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Agreed. I just got a kick out of picturing coach getting his contract done and now kicking back with a bag of popcorn to watch all the coaching search drama play out, no longer a part of it.

I think he is eating delivery pizza in his office and watching film, developing recruiting strategies, and planning for all the extra practices that will now be available.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Good news and some security going forward.

Part of me wishes he was 50 so he could more realistically be ISU's Bill Snyder.

Or he could be a BIGGER than Snyder. It'll be Matt Campbell Family Athletic Facilities (not just a stadium) and they'll rename University Blvd (which will irk the folks still calling it Elwood) to "The Process Way" so folks HAVE to follow the process! And there will be giant statues of Matt (one with a quote about bullsh*t programs being 6-6) all around the complex.

KSU will be looking to.emulate us when they are looking to rebuild their program after Sean Snyder is given the keys and ruins all Bill built :)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Now's our turn. Donate and buy tickets. Expect a ticket price increase. Don't ***** about it. If we're gonna be in the big boy club we have to pay the big boy prices.

Personally, I'm pumped enough now to say I am going to double my Gridiron Club level next year.

Indeed. It seems that there is probably only one place where this money will be coming from. Now the mystery is whether ticket prices go up a lot right away or more gradually over many years. I predict a big hike for next year.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I’m assuming this makes Campbell the highest paid coach per year in ISU history. Out of curiosity, does anyone know the next largest contract for a coach at ISU or if there has been a larger one?