Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
X-Men '97 is incredibly good. It's also a lot more adult-oriented than the original series, which was a surprise, but also good to know before I dared showed my kids. I used to watch the original series all the time when I was growing up, and I started watching a little with them before they got spooked and I realized that the violence and content level was a step above the original 90s cartoon.

The only missed opportunity so far has been the 3rd and 4th episodes. Revealing Jean Gray as clone was a huge moment that was glossed over really quickly in order to get to the meat of the Mr. Sinister/Madelyne Pryor storyline. And then the 4th episode (while insanely cool) felt more like filler that could have been taken out in service of giving the clone plot a lot more time to marinate.

This show is more adult than the MCU movies. Magneto and Rogue just openly talking about boning down and that ending… woof.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm hardly unbiased here, the original X-Men animated series hit at just the right time for me and I was absolutely obsessed with the X-Men throughout the 90s, including spending almost all of my disposable income on comics.

This is the pure, uncut X-Men I grew up on but more than that it's just a good show and the voice work is outstanding. But I think this episode might be the most X-Men thing put on screen. In like 35 minutes we got the pure soap opera X-Men, some just incredible powers and enemies, and big far reaching implications.

1. You got Magneto just dirty mackin Rogue
2. You got basically not even a love triangle, you got a love foursome with Jean, Clone Jean, Wolvie and Cyclops
3. You got time travel stuff with Cable
4. You got a mega sentinel just messing stuff up
5. Gambit going out like an absolute G
6. You got my boy Nightcrawler

This show can go anywhere and do anything right now. Man that was great but I know they have basically 3 seasons mapped out and I'm absolutely thrilled to see where this could go.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I'm hardly unbiased here, the original X-Men animated series hit at just the right time for me and I was absolutely obsessed with the X-Men throughout the 90s, including spending almost all of my disposable income on comics.

This is the pure, uncut X-Men I grew up on but more than that it's just a good show and the voice work is outstanding. But I think this episode might be the most X-Men thing put on screen. In like 35 minutes we got the pure soap opera X-Men, some just incredible powers and enemies, and big far reaching implications.
The attention to detail in the animation is just outstanding. When the reporter was interviewing X-Men at the mansion, the screen switched to an old 4:3 ratio and threw a grainy texture over it to simulate a tube tv broadcast in the 90's. Then it switched back to full HD widescreen to highlight the sweep landscape of Geonosha. The amount of named mutants in the street scene was crazy. I annoyed the heck out of my son naming them.

Bottom line, this show has stakes. The original did too. There is actually danger for the characters. In the MCU, you're really only in danger if you're a villain.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
The attention to detail in the animation is just outstanding. When the reporter was interviewing X-Men at the mansion, the screen switched to an old 4:3 ratio and threw a grainy texture over it to simulate a tube tv broadcast in the 90's. Then it switched back to full HD widescreen to highlight the sweep landscape of Geonosha. The amount of named mutants in the street scene was crazy. I annoyed the heck out of my son naming them.

Bottom line, this show has stakes. The original did too. There is actually danger for the characters. In the MCU, you're really only in danger if you're a villain.

Also a neat detail that others online have caught, that I had to go back and see...

Uatu the Watcher shows up in the sky just before the Genosha massacre starts up. It's about halfway through the episode run time, just after Rogue and Gambit talk and they cut to the shot in the sky with fireworks.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
The latest episode of X-Men was crazy. Mind totally blown

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The latest episode of X-Men was crazy. Mind totally blown
Prior to that episode I enjoyed the series for nostalgia sake but didn’t think it was great. Last episode turned that around for me. That was like the Hardhome episode of Game of Thrones. Kind of boring exposition for the first half and turns on a dime into mayhem with real consequences. I was shocked.

Reactions: 3GenClone and bos

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

I understand and appreciate your larger point and agree with it, but the bolded part is where I need to give you a bit of good-natured grief about maybe not having seen "Avengers: Infinity War" and "Endgame". ;)

But otherwise, yes, absolutely.

One of the reasons why I stopped getting "X-Men" comics is because when an important (and at times not-so important character) was "killed' off, they would inevitably and invariably be brought back to life later on down the line. As a reader it was really frustrating after the umpteenth time that happened. I hope they do not do the same with this show.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I understand and appreciate your larger point and agree with it, but the bolded part is where I need to give you a bit of good-natured grief about maybe not having seen "Avengers: Infinity War" and "Endgame". ;)

But otherwise, yes, absolutely.

One of the reasons why I stopped getting "X-Men" comics is because when an important (and at times not-so important character) was "killed' off, they would inevitably and invariably be brought back to life later on down the line. As a reader it was really frustrating after the umpteenth time that happened. I hope they do not do the same with this show.
I mean they will definitely do it, but that’s X Men in a nutshell. It’s hard because fully removing characters from the MCU can make things tricky. I mean we lost Iron Man, original Captain America, Black Widow, etc. and it’s been hard to recapture the magic. Mainly because those characters are so good and the actors portraying them were so good. So not having Magneto and Professor X around is tough. And the main sacrifice in the episode is one of most fan’s favorites from the cartoon. So we shall see.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I have a very good inclination everybody is gonna get rezzed sooner than later.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I have a very good inclination everybody is gonna get rezzed sooner than later.

Cable’s presence pretty much implies that.

Although, fun fact, the voice actor for Gambit this season is not the OG voice actor, Chris Potter. Potter is instead voicing Cable this time.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
So the trailer is confirming Cassandra Nova is the villain?
Pretty much but its the least wtf for me. Who is making Dr Strange portals? Is Dr Strange in it? Love the huge Ant Man head that opened up in one moment. So many questions..... ha

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Haven’t been this excited for a Marvel movie in a looong time!

I’m also a couple episodes behind on X-Men ‘97 but I need to catch up based on episode 5 reactions!

I typically avoid trailers anymore, but I just couldn't help myself with this one, and man it was a good one. I'm so excited for this movie. Love the balance of both humor and dramatic weight the trailer portrays this movie as having. I'm now officially done watching any more trailers for this movie....... until I'm not.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I typically avoid trailers anymore, but I just couldn't help myself with this one, and man it was a good one. I'm so excited for this movie. Love the balance of both humor and dramatic weight the trailer portrays this movie as having. I'm now officially done watching any more trailers for this movie....... until I'm not.
That's exactly where I was as, but thankfully nothing was truly spoiled in this trailer that wasn't already known outside of villain confirmation. And heck, if you aren't super comics versed, you would still be clueless as to who that person is.