• Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I enjoyed Guardians 3 and Spider Man movies (No Way Home and Across the Spiderverse) but other than those they have pretty much sucked in my opinion.
Haven't seen the 3rd Guardians but I liked the Spiderman movies. No way home was great.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
What people are tired of is bad movies. And while Marvel had some clunkers in there, we are getting way more bad than good.

Let's run down the list of what has been released in the last 2 years or so.

1. Ant-Man Quantumania: I didn't think this movie was terrible and it had some legit funny stuff, but let's be honest it wasn't that good.
2. Shazam 2: Garbage
3. Guardians 3: Great
4. Spider-Man Across the Spider Verse: Great
5. The Flash: 'Nuff Said
6. Blue Bettle: Honestly I liked it. But it's still just okay.
7. The Marvels: Just okay at best.
8. Aquaman 2: ugh
9. Madame Web: Supposedly just an awful movie.
10. Morbius: It's not Morbin' time
11. Thor Love and Thunder: Truly mailed in
12. Black Adam: No words
13: Dr. Strange MoM: I know some liked this. I honestly hated this movie.
14. Black Panther, WF: Okay. 30 minutes too long again.
15. The Batman: I liked this one a lot.

That's 15 movies. Of that 15, I have 3 good to great movies, 4 movies I think are just okay and I'll never watch again, and 8 movies which I think are truly abominable and I'll either never watch or didn't even finish watching. Marvel has missed in the past but this hit rate is wayyyy to low and people are no longer confident they are going to have a good time with these.

Let me put it this way: how many movies on that list are better than Thor 2? Iron Man 2? I mean it takes a lot to get me waxing poetic about the days of Whiplash but here we are.

I actually agree with your list pretty much completely. On some of those I feel like "how am I the only one who feels this way????".

I thought all three Shazam/Black Adam movies were so bad and really shocked anybody liked them at all.

The Batman...even if someone hates the rest of the movie it's an A- just for the one car chase scene and the incredible hallway fight scene. I mean, WOW.

I feel like Fury Road came out and made all other action movies look like a total joke...especially MCU movies...then nobody even TRIED to match it for years until The Batman which was the first time anybody even really tried. Top Gun in a way but totally different kind of action. Dune 1-2 have some moments where it goes there too in terms of unbelievable visual action quality, but it's a more serious movie than Fury Road or any comic book hero movie so it holds back for the good of the movie.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Anyone watch X-Men 97 yet?

IMHO the original 90s series (that has been on Disney+ a while) is still a top 5 thing ever from Marvel pretty easily. Other than maybe "Invincible" that original series is the closest we've ever had to a comic book being exactly translated to a movie/show. Probably because both were created by the same teams that created the comics and neither tried to change the look of the comic art at all.

2000 X-Men movie is what got this whole thing rolling and that early to mid 90s X-Men animated series success (and comics sales of that era) is what probably most led to the film. Really most of these "MCU" properties were kind of in the garbage bin in that era in terms of their value compared to X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman and a handful of independents that have since faded but were massive at that time.

For video game fans it was also really cool that they used all the original series voice actors for the Capcom arcade games in the 90s and early 00s. The Wolverine voice especially from the show and those games was just incredible, but really I loved all the original cast even though Storm's voice was so corny.
I’m loving it. I think they did a great job of updating the original series, while maintaining the nostalgia and feel of the OG.

I’ve gotten my son into the original series as well, now that Disney is promoting the reboot.

Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I know nothing about his girl so I'm kind of indifferent. I was more so digging the rumors that Anya Taylor Joy was going to take on the role.
Along with x-men, surfer and the cosmic stuff was what I bought monthly as a kid and even had mail subscription.

Him being a man isn’t absolutely essential to the story and there are plot lines where his love interest Shalla Bal gets the same powers…but you never know if this sort of thing also signals a general disregard for characters.

The one time it 100% did was when they race swapped characters in The Dark Tower disaster because aspects of the sequels are specifically about race, they clearly didn’t care and were not trying. The next film would have had an amazing black female handicapped character (even a civil rights leader) and they didn’t even have to wedge it in but the story would have been weird from race swap they already made.

Reactions: Triggermv

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I’m loving it. I think they did a great job of updating the original series, while maintaining the nostalgia and feel of the OG.

I’ve gotten my son into the original series as well, now that Disney is promoting the reboot.
I'm on board with XM97 as well. They nailed the nostalgia with the story-line and animation. I still find it odd that of all the mutants out there that Jubilee gets the screen time that she does. Full disclosure, I'm not familiar with the comics side of her or her powers, but it feels like the animated series does nothing to make her a very interesting character.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

The back story of how that 90s series came about it pretty incredible, so many of the writers/creatives are just people who actually worked on the comics. They even had a comic series in those years that adapted the cartoon back into a comic which is kind of crazy given how loyal the show is to the original stories. The whole series is really "condensed X-Men's Greatest Hits". You can read 4+ decades of several comics series, or you can watch that animated series and get the same experience.

You knew it could take off because in the 80s and 90s X-Men was already selling significant quantity of action figures having never been a show or movie.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I'm on board with XM97 as well. They nailed the nostalgia with the story-line and animation. I still find it odd that of all the mutants out there that Jubilee gets the screen time that she does. Full disclosure, I'm not familiar with the comics side of her or her powers, but it feels like the animated series does nothing to make her a very interesting character.
If I recall, they were going to use Kitty Pryde, who’s a much more recognizable and popular character, for that Jubilee role. But the powers-that-be wanted to introduce a new character, so they replaced Kitty Pryde with Jubilee.

If you rewatch the first season of the OG, Jubilee is pretty prominent in a lot of episodes. But I don’t think she caught on with fans, so they kind of just put her in the background during the later seasons of the series.

I think it’s kind of cool how they’re retooling her character in XM97, making her more relatable rather than just a whiny teen.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
If I recall, they were going to use Kitty Pryde, who’s a much more recognizable and popular character, for that Jubilee role. But the powers-that-be wanted to introduce a new character, so they replaced Kitty Pryde with Jubilee.

If you rewatch the first season of the OG, Jubilee is pretty prominent in a lot of episodes. But I don’t think she caught on with fans, so they kind of just put her in the background during the later seasons of the series.

I think it’s kind of cool how they’re retooling her character in XM97, making her more relatable rather than just a whiny teen.

This video has some good background on that decision. It also gives a great history on how the show became to be.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

This video has some good background on that decision. It also gives a great history on how the show became to be.

Thanks for sharing! Some really interesting tidbits in there. I was 90% right on Kitty Pryde.

I couldn’t agree more with the video and adult themes. Rewatching with my son, the themes actually still hold true today. And some of those one-liners are still gold!

“Yes. Rogue has a way with men”

“Hey Tin Woodsman. I’m sending you back to Oz in pieces”

“Tell Cyclops, I made him a convertible”

“You wanna play with Gambit? Here take a card! — House wins”

Reactions: Triggermv

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
X-Men '97 is incredibly good. It's also a lot more adult-oriented than the original series, which was a surprise, but also good to know before I dared showed my kids. I used to watch the original series all the time when I was growing up, and I started watching a little with them before they got spooked and I realized that the violence and content level was a step above the original 90s cartoon.

The only missed opportunity so far has been the 3rd and 4th episodes. Revealing Jean Gray as clone was a huge moment that was glossed over really quickly in order to get to the meat of the Mr. Sinister/Madelyne Pryor storyline. And then the 4th episode (while insanely cool) felt more like filler that could have been taken out in service of giving the clone plot a lot more time to marinate.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Am I the only one… that teared up? Gambit was among my favorite X-men growing up. Rogue echoing Wanda’s “I can’t feel you” just broke me. God damn.
It’s definitely unexpected. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron