Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I’m gonna leave this here fully knowing it’s gonna trigger 99% of those following this thread. But there are a LOT of truths in here. A LOT. And please note I don’t agree with this guy 100% but he makes a lot of good points FOR THE CASUAL MOVIEGOER.

Last edited:

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
This is the crux of it right here. Short of a hard reboot, the success of the whole next wave depends on the main villain, and to a lesser extent, the individual villains. Maybe if Marvel would Quit. Killing. Them. those secondary villains could evolve into greater roles and threats.

The sooner we can get to Doctor Doom, the better. His uniqueness in not only being a villain, but the leader of a sovereign nation, would have worked much better to flesh out the Civil War stuff into full fledged story and not just background noise and an excuse to get the airport scene in Cap 3.

While I agree Dr Doom would have been great earlier, I don’t think they could have used Dr. Doom until the recent Fox merger I believe.

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Saw the movie in 3D. I don't know what was up with the opening scene but whatever company did the 3D conversion in the first 10 minutes completely rushed it. The characters looked like cardboard cutouts. Took me completely out of the movie. The rest of the movie was fine. Not my favorite but overall not a waste of time either.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
While I agree Dr Doom would have been great earlier, I don’t think they could have used Dr. Doom until the recent Fox merger I believe.
This. Not having all of your properties hobbled them. Such good properties too.

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Still not convinced the FF (including Doom) is ever going to work.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You aren't the only person I've heard describe the film as divisive, and those films tend to not go over well with me. I see it also has the MCU's second lowest cinemascore, which isn't great either. We will see. I choose to remain optimistic. I never know what to think of Raimi in general. I loved the first 2 Spider-Man movies, but Spider-Man 3 was my first taste of true major disappointment after a movie as a kid. I will never forget the feeling walking out of that movie.

Oof, that was a rough Spidey movie.

I took the word divisive from a review.somewhere. some of it is really cool, some of it just wastes opportunities, and some makes it seem like they're out of gas and milking the cow hard until.the end.

Reactions: Triggermv

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I was a bit disappointed with several factors in the movie. To be honest, I have felt a bit disappointed in the direction Marvel has gone since endgame. Seems there has been several opportunities to do some great things or introduce several amazing character and storylines but they seem more interested in not only pushing forward obscure characters no one asked for but also storylines that are so easily full of plot holes and strange character themes. Dr Strange is a character that is kinda in his own realm of strangeness similar to Blade and Moonight that don’t fit into most of the other marvel universe so I view it differently.
I will also say I am extremely disappointed that Scarlett witch was introduced and closed without bringing the X-Men into the universe.
And let’s be honest, if the other universe had Reid Richards and family, that means Franklin Richards exists who makes every marvel character ever created a mere termite. Pretty sure having his dad killed wouldn’t just get washed over lol.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I was a bit disappointed with several factors in the movie. To be honest, I have felt a bit disappointed in the direction Marvel has gone since endgame. Seems there has been several opportunities to do some great things or introduce several amazing character and storylines but they seem more interested in not only pushing forward obscure characters no one asked for but also storylines that are so easily full of plot holes and strange character themes. Dr Strange is a character that is kinda in his own realm of strangeness similar to Blade and Moonight that don’t fit into most of the other marvel universe so I view it differently.
I will also say I am extremely disappointed that Scarlett witch was introduced and closed without bringing the X-Men into the universe.
And let’s be honest, if the other universe had Reid Richards and family, that means Franklin Richards exists who makes every marvel character ever created a mere termite. Pretty sure having his dad killed wouldn’t just get washed over lol.

Zero chance Scarlet Witch is truly done. In fact I think I read Olson signed on for another 7 years. They will redeem her character somehow. The Agatha Harkness show on Disney+ makes a lot more sense now.

Reactions: jctisu and State43

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Wut. I’m sorry but the the first 30 min of that movie was god awful effects. Like piece of **** awful. Phoned it in had to meet a deadline awful.
YES! THANK YOU!
When Defender Strange and America Chavez are running on that path on the opening scene, you can tell that they are running in front of a green screen. I know that Disney didn't actually bring Benedict Cumberbatch to a different dimension to shoot the scene, but I expect more from a movie with a 200 million budget that is made by a studio that has done much better.

And the wild Sam Raimi cinematography... I works well for movies that go for the B-Movie feel (Evil Dead) NOT Blockbusters.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Gorm and burn587

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I'm not a fan of this movie.
WHAT I HATED:
1. Big eye ball monster is dumb. Just have America Chavez portal in to Rachel McAdams's wedding and ruin it. (And bury Defender Strange so a Zombie can come out of a real grave.
2. They revealed Wanda as the bad guy WAY too early. We last left off with her in WandaVision still conflicted about who she is, which has been her character arch throughout the MCU. They should have revealed her as the bad guy when Strange goes to the Illuminati (Half way through the second act). The suspense of who the bad guy is would help to drive the movie.
3. Let's just destroy the darkhold after an episode and a movie cause **** it.
4. I'd didn't see the madness in the multiverse.
5. The need to go back to Kahmartaj (SP?) is because they needed a cool battle, not because it helps the story. It's dumb.

The things I liked:
1. The illuminati... The feel of the scenes. The horror. The gore. That all worked for me. Best part of the movie.
2. The Horror movie elements... Breaking the fourth wall at the sink gave me chills. Trying to get out of the mirror dimensions and crawling out of the gong. The first person views. That was really good. I wish there was 20 more minutes of that.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Wut. I’m sorry but the the first 30 min of that movie was god awful effects. Like piece of **** awful. Phoned it in had to meet a deadline awful.
Were you hoping to see Rachel McAdams in her birthday suit? It was a good movie visually. The 1st Dr Strange was better.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I loved the first 2 Spider-Man movies, but Spider-Man 3 was my first taste of true major disappointment after a movie as a kid.

I loved Spider-man but my distaste for Raimi’s directing style really was cemented with Spider-Man 2. Yes, it’s one of the great comic book movies, but not because of anything he did. The constant homages to schlocky horror movies like in the operating room shortly after Doc Ock’s genesis, or the references to King Kong with Ock and Mary Jane that are less a wink and a nod and more of a frying pan to the back of the head. There is a certain point I get to in that movie where I’m basically just silently screaming to myself “make your own damn movie and stop ripping off everything else you can think of!”

The super cringey post 9/11 faux patriotism in those movies is pretty bad as well, but that was kind of unavoidable in that snapshot of time.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I didn't mind the movie. It was entertaining at least. I liked the horror aspect of it. But I agree about the effects in the first act. That octopus looked like something that would be on Nickelodeon.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I'm not a fan of this movie.
WHAT I HATED:
1. Big eye ball monster is dumb. Just have America Chavez portal in to Rachel McAdams's wedding and ruin it. (And bury Defender Strange so a Zombie can come out of a real grave.
2. They revealed Wanda as the bad guy WAY too early. We last left off with her in WandaVision still conflicted about who she is, which has been her character arch throughout the MCU. They should have revealed her as the bad guy when Strange goes to the Illuminati (Half way through the second act). The suspense of who the bad guy is would help to drive the movie.
3. Let's just destroy the darkhold after an episode and a movie cause **** it.
4. I'd didn't see the madness in the multiverse.
5. The need to go back to Kahmartaj (SP?) is because they needed a cool battle, not because it helps the story. It's dumb.

The things I liked:
1. The illuminati... The feel of the scenes. The horror. The gore. That all worked for me. Best part of the movie.
2. The Horror movie elements... Breaking the fourth wall at the sink gave me chills. Trying to get out of the mirror dimensions and crawling out of the gong. The first person views. That was really good. I wish there was 20 more minutes of that.

I agree with absolutely everything you said, except for maybe the first point. I did enjoy the first battle in NY.

#2 of “things you liked” was creepier than any of the jump scares in the movie.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I agree with absolutely everything you said, except for maybe the first point. I did enjoy the first battle in NY.

#2 of “things you liked” was creepier than any of the jump scares in the movie.
I just didn't understand the point of the fight. Where did the monster come from? Why are they fighting? It dies and then nothing happens from it.