• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Now that Agents of Shield Season 7 is on Netflix, I've been finally working my way through the final season. I've made it through 8 of the 13 episodes so far. Just curious if anyone else has watched this season, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Now that Agents of Shield Season 7 is on Netflix, I've been finally working my way through the final season. I've made it through 8 of the 13 episodes so far. Just curious if anyone else has watched this season, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Final season was fine for what AOS turned into
after the whole future thing and the addition of Deke. What I liked best about the show was it's timeline compared to the movies. Once they basically went off on their own it just turned into a parody of a comic book.
Ending was good enough.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Final season was fine for what AOS turned into
after the whole future thing and the addition of Deke. What I liked best about the show was it's timeline compared to the movies. Once they basically went off on their own it just turned into a parody of a comic book.
Ending was good enough.

I totally agree on the timeline thing. Clearly, they are trying to go back to tying back in to the MCU more, but its just so confusing now from when they started going off the rails on their own a couple seasons back.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Disney had an earnings call today:

Disney+ has over 73 million subscribers (as of early October)​
Disney streaming services (Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+) have over 120 million subscribers world-wide​
Executives were happy with the results from Mulans premium VOD release, so we should probably expect more premium releases in the future​

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Disney had an earnings call today:

Disney+ has over 73 million subscribers (as of early October)​
Disney streaming services (Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+) have over 120 million subscribers world-wide​
Executives were happy with the results from Mulans premium VOD release, so we should probably expect more premium releases in the future​

I wonder how much theaters are going to freak out about this?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I wonder how much theaters are going to freak out about this?
We will likely see more deals like what occurred yesterday:

Universal Studios signed a multi-year deal with Cinemark theaters that guarantees their films will release in theaters for at least 17-days before moving to VOD. That 17-day theater exclusivity deal extends to 31-days if a film opens with more than $50 million.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
(Non-Spoiler Hellstrom Review) So, I finally got a chance to check out the new Helstrom show on Hulu, which is essentially the very last Marvel TV project to go through before Disney restructured and merged Marvel TV into the Kevin Feige led Marvel Studios. Even after watching it, its still somewhat weird this show even made it through to get out before Marvel TV got the kabosh, other than it simply had to have been far enough along that they just had to finish it off. Regardless, it was clear from the trailers that Marvel Studios was trying to distance themselves from this show and their greater MCU, as both in the trailer and in the show, there is zero mention of Marvel and doesn't even have the logo on either the front-end or back-end. Could it possibly take place in the MCU? I guess, as there really is nothing in it I'd say to contradict the rest of the MCU and it does take place fairly separated on the West Coast. The closest things I saw to any type of Marvel tie-in was seeing a Roxxon gas station in one episode and when Daimon would excercise demons out of people, around his eyes would got dark and crackly like we see in both Doctor Strange and Runaways.

With all that said, so what did I think of the show? Going in, I did not like the trailers. I'm not a big horror guy and the show looked very unappealing even though the Ghostrider arc in AOS was my favorite arc in all the show. Nevertheless, I gave it a chance and actually was quite into it at first. However, the show was really up and down from there. It started out good, got boring for a bit, then got good again, and then really went off the rails towards the end. I still ultimately really enjoyed the actors and characters in the show, but the ending was bad and way too not satisfying and open-ended to say the show was a good show. Ultimately, it was one of those shows with tons of great teases throughout only to pay off nearly none of them, especially for a show that will only run one season. Its really too bad and left a sour taste in my mouth. Regardless, I'm glad I gave it a shot and its up to you guys based on what I said whether or not you want to give it the same shot. I actually did like the tone of the show and really liked the main character Daimon. I found him to be a very charismatic likeable lead. They are clearly going for him to somewhat be the Constantine of Marvel, but with a drastically different personality, which I appreciated.

I really liked Hellstrom and its attempt to be Marvel Constantine. Made me miss the Constantine show that we didn't get enough of.

I think it would have been better if it had a slower burn. It went straight to the peak really quickly and I would have liked multiple seasons of just doing his job. But I guess that was nixed when Disney bought Marvel.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I really liked Hellstrom and its attempt to be Marvel Constantine. Made me miss the Constantine show that we didn't get enough of.

I think it would have been better if it had a slower burn. It went straight to the peak really quickly and I would have liked multiple seasons of just doing his job. But I guess that was nixed when Disney bought Marvel.

Good to get your take on it. Glad you liked it overall even though I didn't have the same experience. However, like I said in my review, at least there were times in the series I was pretty in to it and digging what was going on.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Good to get your take on it. Glad you liked it overall even though I didn't have the same experience. However, like I said in my review, at least there were times in the series I was pretty in to it and digging what was going on.

Seemed like they had to escalate quickly and couldn't build the show up like they would if they had 5 seasons. Felt rushed but I liked the characters.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-Spoiler Review) So, I finally checked out the Season 7 of Agents of Shield on Netflix, so here are my thoughts for anyone interested. Keep in mind that I'm a fairly big Agents of Shield fan in general, even though I both didn't love last season and also dislike how detached from the overall MCU timeline the show has become over the past couple seasons. Well, I'll start by saying that I didn't exactly see improvements on either front. I really wanted this show to go out with a big bang, but I can't say I got exactly what I wanted. Instead, I thought the series was a bit of a confusing, convoluted mess of time travel that seemed to change the rules of time travel with every new episode that passed. Then, I kept justifying the mess by reminding myself to wait for the end for everything to all come together into something that made sense, and unfortunately, it just didn't. I've even watched multiple videos afterwards explaining out the series and I've come to the conclusion that I understand it just fine, but rather that what they did just wasn't that good. In the end, I'd say it wasn't terrible and there were definitely episodes and things to like, but at best, I can't say it was much better than just so-so. I didn't even like some of the main character arcs and motivations, which at times seemed way off or came with zero explanation or lead-up, which this show in general has been pretty good at. Also (my one kind-of spoiler), for those hoping the show would eventually tie itself back into the greater MCU by the end, it just doesn't, even though that doesn't mean there isn't all the usual winks and nods throughout the season to the greater MCU which the show is known for.

Anyway those are my thoughts and while somewhat lackluster, I am still a bit sad to know that this is the very last new Marvel TV show I'll ever watch. While I am excited for the new direction Marvel Studios will be taking TV, which is the way I've wanted them to go with it all along, I've still got to give Marvel TV credit for giving us some really good TV shows in the meantime. Granted, there was some really bad ones too (Iron Fist, Inhumans), as well as some others everywhere throughout the middle, but those lows still don't negate the feeling of the highs (AOS, Daredevil, Punisher) that came here and there. Anyway, cheers to the past and cheers to the futures. I've got a lot of confidence in Feige to be a lot more consistent with what shows they produce from here forward, which by itself would be a welcome change.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I listen to the John Campea show and he has been saying that he has heard multiple insiders lately coming to him saying that Black Widow will come directly to streaming, and they are waiting to announce it at the Disney Investors Meeting on December 10th. While John even admits he can't put 100% faith in these particular sources, he does tend to think it is going to happen now. It's worth noting he was saying this right prior to the Wonder Woman going to both theaters and streaming news. I think Wonder Woman doing this only increases the odds Black Widow does the same thing, and I do hope Black Widow opts more for the duel model than just the streaming.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I listen to the John Campea show and he has been saying that he has heard multiple insiders lately coming to him saying that Black Widow will come directly to streaming, and they are waiting to announce it at the Disney Investors Meeting on December 10th. While John even admits he can't put 100% faith in these particular sources, he does tend to think it is going to happen now. It's worth noting he was saying this right prior to the Wonder Woman going to both theaters and streaming news. I think Wonder Woman doing this only increases the odds Black Widow does the same thing, and I do hope Black Widow opts more for the duel model than just the streaming.

Since it's Disney, I would fully expect them to put it on Disney+ to increase subscription numbers, in addition to an additional cost for the movie itself. With that being said, I could see my wife and I paying extra for this movie on Disney+. We also already subscribe to Disney+.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Since it's Disney, I would fully expect them to put it on Disney+ to increase subscription numbers, in addition to an additional cost for the movie itself. With that being said, I could see my wife and I paying extra for this movie on Disney+. We also already subscribe to Disney+.

Where I'm at right now with Wonder Woman is that I don't currently have HBOMax, so I'd have to pay $15 for a single month of the service to watch the movie, plus it won't be in 4K (important to me and HBO Max currently doesn't have 4K capacity). With that in mind, I'm leaning towards just going to the theaters to see with my daughter. Granted, my local theater is a Marcus Theater so that is also assuming they are willing to show the movie with it concurrently going streaming, which it never said in the press release which theaters were willing to go along with this as this move is a big deal for theaters and not particularly in a good way.

With Black Widow, which possibly will be offered in 4K on Disney+, and which I currently have a subscription (all new things are), if I've got to spend $30 in addition to see it, I'll still probably opt to see it in theaters if also offered there. If it is free for Disney+ subscribers, regardless of whether offered in theaters or not, I'll likely just watch it at home in its 4K glory at home for free. Don't get me wrong, I'm still one of those people who love going to the movie theater. However, at the same time, even I'm willing to pass up on the theater experience if my other option is for free at home in 4K.

Last edited:

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Where I'm at right now with Wonder Woman is that I don't currently have HBOMax, so I'd have to pay $15 for a single month of the service to watch the movie, plus it won't be in 4K (important to me and HBO Max currently doesn't have 4K capacity). With that in mind, I'm leaning towards just going to the theaters to see with my daughter. Granted, my local theater is a Marcus Theater so that is also assuming they are willing to show the movie with it concurrently going streaming, which it never said in the press release which theaters were willing to go along with this as this move is a big deal for theaters and not particularly in a good way.

With Black Widow, which possibly will be offered in 4K on Disney+, and which I currently have a subscription (all new things are), if I've got to spend $30 in addition to see it, I'll still probably opt to see it in theaters if also offered there. If it is free for Disney+ subscribers, regardless of whether offered in theaters or not, I'll likely just watch it at home in its 4K glory at home for free. Don't get me wrong, I'm still one of those people who love going to the movie theater. However, at the same time, even I'm willing to pass up on the theater experience if my other option is for free at home in 4K.

HBO Max has a 7 day free trial....

HBO max doesnt have a roku app but you can cast from android, and roku's update has home kit so you can share your screen from your iphone/ipad to the roku device, and get hbomax that way.