Margins?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
True. We had some drops, but none that I can recall totally killed us. Penalties were fine too.

14 pts off returns however....

Disagree. We had more than some drops. Those drops killed several drives. Yes, giving up 14 pts in special teams is bad, but the offense should have been more than capable of making that up.

But making a tackle and catching the ball are the details that matter here. We've seen this before in the opener and we've seen teams come out completely different in game 2. I hope that is the case this year as well. Don't have time to ease into form this year. Real games coming up next.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
That team was not prepared and lacks a lot of the same issues we saw last year. Still disappointed that we can push teams around on the lines.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This is norm for this program. I love this coaching staff and I think they are elite in the ability to build a winning program culture but it seems they still have a ways to go to help us take the next step. Coming out flat in games, inability to make in game adjustments (especially on O), horrid special teams, drop passes, turnovers, dumb penalties etc....all fall under the team not being prepared to play. Our talent is improving but we won't take the next step to start contending for the big 12 unless we fix our problems in those areas.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Disagree. We had more than some drops. Those drops killed several drives. Yes, giving up 14 pts in special teams is bad, but the offense should have been more than capable of making that up.

But making a tackle and catching the ball are the details that matter here. We've seen this before in the opener and we've seen teams come out completely different in game 2. I hope that is the case this year as well. Don't have time to ease into form this year. Real games coming up next.
Well - I am not sure I have the courage, but I may need to rewatch this game. I did not see many drops. What I did see was them covering us like a blanket. Give credit where credit is due. Their DB’s were way to quick for us to handle - we could not get open. They made a lot of really good plays. Plus, Purdy was not sharp.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This thread is sobering. We're nowhere near where we thought we were as a program just a handful of months ago.

I'd suggest not looking at our current recruiting class as well. Things don't appear to be going great on that front either.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
What's more frightening is that CMC has had way better talent than CPR did during the same time period.

CMC has better talent and he's playing in a weaker B12.

For example there were four B12 teams that won 10+ games in 2010, 2011, and 2015; that has happened 0 times during CMC's time here. That is unfortunately hard to ignore.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
This thread is sobering. We're nowhere near where we thought we were as a program just a handful of months ago.
It is sobering and caused me to drink way too much Saturday night. Then I see his comment in the Ames Tribune and it set me off. "We're all reminded that at Iowa State...". WTF! 5th year and you're still covering your tracks. Blah, blah, blah ... What happened to the "process" that was supposed to tighten up the margins? Has it quit loving us back?

Reactions: Neptune78 and Stewo

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well - I am not sure I have the courage, but I may need to rewatch this game. I did not see many drops. What I did see was them covering us like a blanket. Give credit where credit is due. Their DB’s were way to quick for us to handle - we could not get open. They made a lot of really good plays. Plus, Purdy was not sharp.

Some of the drops were those 'catchable' but not well thrown balls vs. timing of the routes.

To me they operated best when it was a simple short pitch and catch and run. Long developing plays for an Oline that's not great at pass blocking and a QB that's off doesn't help. Shaw has some speed to extend the play and there's someone else that's similar in that regard.

Purdy operates pretty well when he's out of the box and rides up along the LOS and is less likely to heave it off the back foot too. Pocket passing is not his strength and if you just want to win football games I'm not sure why you'd force it.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It is sobering and caused me to drink way too much Saturday night. Then I see his comment in the Ames Tribune and it set me off. "We're all reminded that at Iowa State...". WTF! 5th year and you're still covering your tracks. Blah, blah, blah ... What happened to the "process" that was supposed to tighten up the margins? Has it quit loving us back?

I’m well aware of the limitations we have here, but I absolutely loathe the “we are Iowa State” mentality.

We saw similar ‘woe is me’ statements from Paul in the latter half of his tenure. Just a defeatist attitude that permeated the team and fans. I really don’t want to see MC start down that path

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Yeah, it's a bit concerning that he's still preaching that same mantra. He's got to figure things out on the offensive side of the ball. There's no consistency whatsoever and that's why we see games like Saturday. Purdy was off and we abandoned the run game because we went into panic mode. Special teams has been an embarrassment since Campbell's arrival and he clearly puts next to zero emphasis on that group. Special teams is a HUGE reason why we lost Saturday. Purdy was off, but our defense was not. We're clearly seeing Campbell's weaknesses and he doesn't appear to be doing much of anything about it.

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
This is norm for this program. I love this coaching staff and I think they are elite in the ability to build a winning program culture but it seems they still have a ways to go to help us take the next step. Coming out flat in games, inability to make in game adjustments (especially on O), horrid special teams, drop passes, turnovers, dumb penalties etc....all fall under the team not being prepared to play. Our talent is improving but we won't take the next step to start contending for the big 12 unless we fix our problems in those areas.

I agree this is unfortunately becoming the norm for this program (examples include UNI, Drake, ND, KSU, etc). I also like this staff, but I just can't agree with this staff 'elite in ability to build a winning program culture'. If they were elite in this area we would not be seeing an utter lack of leadership and fortitude from parts of this team (looking at u offense and ST). You made an accurate statement that parts of this team seem unprepared to play - also indicative of not being elite to build a winning culture.

I think coach has forgotten how to instill the 'winning attitude' he originally learned at Mount Union. He has soul searching to do given the performance over the last 18 months. Our guys simply don't have that winning arrogance good teams have - look no further than that video clip of ULL dancing in the visitors locker room talking about Jack Trice being "Their house".

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'd hate to think Iowa State has ruined another coach. It really must be too hard to win here. K State and Kansas have had blips of success due to being slightly closer to high level talent. We just are too isolated and barren. The last resort for any talented recruit. It is very sobering to be so woke to this fact.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
His coach speak is tiresome as we continue to struggle on the OL, special teams, play calling, etc. He’s now 26-26. CPR was 25-27 at the same time.
Yes, but they did it in opposite ways. CPR started his first three seasons getting 6 to 7 wins and then got worse. CMC got 3 wins in his first few seasons, and started winning more later.

People need to chill tf out. I'm enjoying the Cave more than the football forum. You don't have to pump sunshine and rainbows - we played like **** - but this constant "world is ending because our sport ballers aren't as good as i want them to be" is getting over the top. It's supposed to be fun. If you can't enjoy it, find something else to do.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Have you enjoyed the 2-5 record the last 7 games? Saturday wasn't a blip.

A stretch that includes @Oklahoma, @K State, and Notre Dame? I want to win, but am not surprised we have a losing record through that stretch. Should have beaten Okie State.

Losing Saturday sucks. Everybody is already cranky and it was a piss poor showing. But the staff has shown they can get it together. It's a new season and am willing to wait before I meltdown.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
A stretch that includes @Oklahoma, @K State, and Notre Dame? I want to win, but am not surprised we have a losing record through that stretch. Should have beaten Okie State.

Losing Saturday sucks. Everybody is already cranky and it was a piss poor showing. But the staff has shown they can get it together. It's a new season and am willing to wait before I meltdown.

How long do we wait? With TCU and Oklahoma upcoming, we can easily be 0-3 before battling Texas Tech.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
People need to chill tf out. I'm enjoying the Cave more than the football forum. You don't have to pump sunshine and rainbows - we played like **** - but this constant "world is ending because our sport ballers aren't as good as i want them to be" is getting over the top.
663263f95e3191f3a25406d1ecf3f1c3.gif

Reactions: SpokaneCY