Margins?

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
What exactly does this mean in the 5th year? That we will never have the players or coaches to not worry about the margin? What is the margin? 20200913_211408.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: cycloneML

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I get what he is saying but frankly I'm tired of hearing that.

Recruit & Coach better and then you don't have to worry so much about the margins.
I get it 3 or 4 years ago. But now? Seems to be saying ISU will never be in a position to play a bad or average game and win. Interesting. Isn't that your job to change that culture?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Repeating but margins are won by being sound fundamentally and that has to start in camp.

I feel like it's been a long time since ISU played a sound fundamental all around game. Maybe WV 2018 minus the blocked FG for a TD?

• Agree
Reactions: isu81

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
IF his comment is accurate.... and he says 5 years into this "we are all reminded at Iowa State"
Then what exactly have you been doing to erase that memory?
That sounds like something an outsider sideline reporter would say on his or her first visit to Ames.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Before we worry about margins, we need to tackle on special teams. There can’t be many teams to have a KO and Punt returned for TD’s against them in the same game. (Heck, that doesn’t even happen often in the same season)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
IF his comment is accurate.... and he says 5 years into this "we are all reminded at Iowa State"
Then what exactly have you been doing to erase that memory?
That sounds like something an outsider sideline reporter would say on his or her first visit to Ames.

He's said it before.

It means you have to do things really well to have a chance to win at ISU.

Which means it's baffling to have them look so awful.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
True. We had some drops, but none that I can recall totally killed us. Penalties were fine too.

14 pts off returns however....

I didn’t mention anything specific (drops), but rather the main area which includes the passing game, the running, defense, unspecial teams. We only score 14 and allow 31. That isn’t margins, that’s all around bad.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
its exactly right and spot on
i constantly have to remind hawkeye fans when they wish for ISU annhiliation that ISU is not their problem, their problem is that they are not near recruiting hotbeds, they dont have a geographical advantage (like miami or orgeon) nor do they have a tradition advantage (like notre dame or michigan), and even teams like nebraska, colorado, missouri or arkansas that are the only P5 team in the state have had a worst decade than iowa.
and iowa st is even worse off, recruit better! how the hell are we going to do that, move our university to georgia, or ohio or florida or texas or california, you guys are really clueless.
BALL CONTROL OFFENSE is the only way to do it at ISU, copy Snyder @ KSU or NDSU or hell even Iowa.
Campbell is exactly right on, 7-9 minute drives 3-4 times a game and you win against nearly anybody.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
its exactly right and spot on
i constantly have to remind hawkeye fans when they wish for ISU annhiliation that ISU is not their problem, their problem is that they are not near recruiting hotbeds, they dont have a geographical advantage (like miami or orgeon) nor do they have a tradition advantage (like notre dame or michigan), and even teams like nebraska, colorado, missouri or arkansas that are the only P5 team in the state have had a worst decade than iowa.
and iowa st is even worse off, recruit better! how the hell are we going to do that, move our university to georgia, or ohio or florida or texas or california, you guys are really clueless.
BALL CONTROL OFFENSE is the only way to do it at ISU, copy Snyder @ KSU or NDSU or hell even Iowa.
Campbell is exactly right on, 7-9 minute drives 3-4 times a game and you win against nearly anybody.
[/QUOTE
We're waiting coach.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
He also always talks about how we're a completely different team than we were the year before.... and every year he seems to say we're young. He said it after yesterday's game.... that we were young and they were an experienced veteran team.

That can't be true of our team every single year that we're always the young and inexperienced team. It's just an excuse. Every team in the country loses key players, but also return key players too. Deal with it. Last year you'd have to say our OL was VERY experienced and a veteran group.... and they still sucked.