Looking for a restaurant in Marshalltown

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
I’ll be in Marshalltown next Saturday night and would like to find a nice place for dinner. Something not too fancy and not too casual, and preferably locally- owned. Does anyone have a suggestion?

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Calvin Rocketts is pretty good. It’s a bar and grill if that’s the kind of place you’re looking for

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’ll be in Marshalltown next Saturday night and would like to find a nice place for dinner. Something not too fancy and not too casual, and preferably locally- owned. Does anyone have a suggestion?

There really isn't a place for a "nice" dinner. Everything is casual.

With that being said, you're looking at Smokin G's, Calvin Rockets or Rube's in Montour. Legends in Mtown is horrible, so don't go there.

One of my favorites was a little Mexican restaurant on the NE corner of N Center and E State. I can't remember what it's called but the food is great. It confused the crap out of me why everyone ended up at El Portal. It was never busy so I don't know if they are still open (they just opened a year or so ago). It's just south of the apartment building that burned down in the last year or so.

• Winner
Reactions: Ryan4069