Long John's Ames - Closed

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I thought there was a place in Ames with real fish & chips? Chip Shop You Don't Stop or something like that?

That would be a way better name.

There was the Chip Shop in the old Char's, but it's been renovated and is now The Mucky Duck, a British pub. They still have fish and chips.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA

There was the Chip Shop in the old Char's, but it's been renovated and is now The Mucky Duck, a British pub. They still have fish and chips.

And you can order British food items as well.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Great. Now I am craving hush puppies and chicken planks.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

This is the first I have heard of this Mucky Duck. How is the beer selection? I will need to give it a holler next time I am in Ames.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This is the first I have heard of this Mucky Duck. How is the beer selection? I will need to give it a holler next time I am in Ames.

I'm not a huge beer drinker, never acquired the taste, but I think their menu was pretty extensive. I mean, it's not a million like Old Chicago or anything, but it was a few pages, I think? I believe it was mostly British beer.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I'm not a huge beer drinker, never acquired the taste, but I think their menu was pretty extensive. I mean, it's not a million like Old Chicago or anything, but it was a few pages, I think? I believe it was mostly British beer.

I am down with that. Nice and bitter British beer.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Nope, we fought a war so we didn't have to have bad teeth. Thank the splinters in George Washington's gums.
thebigbookofbritishsmiles.png

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
We always called the crumbs "fried nothings". I loved asking for extra fried nothings.

One of my most vivid memories from my long ago ISU days occurred at LJS.

This was in the days when there were a lot of Iranian students (pre Shah ouster).

We were eating at LJS and there were several Iranian students at an adjacent table. Two of the three of us in our group were facing them and the other was back to them. A female at their table finished pouring ketchup on her food - but prior to replacing the lid on the bottle gave the old rim a good tongue wiping. Evidently the expression on our faces gave it away because the other guy (not facing her) knew instantly something bad went down.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Sad day. Back in 1989 that place served beer. I'd invited a few people from my internship office in Des Moines to Ames for a party. The group dwindled at the last minute and only one girl made it up to Ames, and since we were running late we ran in there for a beer and some food before we went drinking. Turned out that place was the location of my wife and my first date. I married her a couple years later.

I forgot they sold beer there. Ha.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Well, I think I know what I'm doing for lunch today. Feel bad for the Ames people that can't get an LJS fix anymore.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I gotta go all the way to the Mucky Duck now during lent.

Also... I'm really gonna ruin someone's day... the Wendy's in Ames is Closed too.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Sad day...I worked there my first year in Ames in 96'. Was a cook. Man, I was so dirt poor I'd steal chicken planks by wrapping them in napkins to take home and eat. In fairness those planks were normally a few hours old and probably shouldn't have been served to customers. Anyhoo, sad day...had some good times there and always mentioned to the wife/kids when we drove by there that I used to be a cook there.