Let’s talk Jackrabbits

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The other thing is the crowd was behind Hampton in Boise. Unless South Dakota State buys much more tickets than Iowa State, that’s not going to be the case. Like you said, the next year they also did well and lost as a No. 15 seed to UCONN by 11 points. The guy who hit the game winner against us played professionally in Europe for a few years.
There will be 7 fanbases rooting for SDSU and 1 rooting for ISU. Of course the fans of the teams that lost the first session games might not stick around...

Reactions: aauummm

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
We seem to be loading up the defense just a little bit less than we had earlier, and a little more selective in the hard traps. Just staying in front of our guys with just a little help/hedging and then springing the aggressive traps as a surprise. Gave up 57, 62 and 41 (avg 53.3) in the Big 12 tournament, so I'd say it worked.
I had been saying we should do that all year (but then, we still won quite a few games NOT doing that, so that shows how much I know.) BUT, I THOUGHT it felt like we played a little more straight up in the tournament and picked and choose our opportunities very well. Is there any evidence that this was the case OR was it just "feel"?

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
How was the MEAC in 2002 and how many Q1's had Hampton beaten?
Yes, totally similar circumstances. We DID win the Big 12 tournament going away and got to play less than a mile from Iowa in front of at least 13,000 fans that year too. Correct? AND we had a totally cohesive locker room that couldn't keep from saying they are very close every opportunity. Right?

We could lose, yes. Anything is possible. But, Hampton (edit from Howard, oops) didn't beat a strong, moving forward, focused team that day. Many teams would have beat us that day. It was a very sad ending to a reasonably good year. But, we didn't know how broken things were at that point.

I believe this team is very focused and should make the Sweet 16. Past that, matchups will factor in a lot (I know, no crap.)

Last edited:

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Just curious, what did Illinois do to deserve a No. 3 seeding? Especially to be picked by the talking heads to go to the Regional Finals. I went over their non-con and they played Marquette and Tennessee relatively close, but lost. I understand they had a solid Big 10, but did anyone who watch them were impressed enough to pick them to beat Iowa State?

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Just curious, what did Illinois do to deserve a No. 3 seeding? Especially to be picked by the talking heads to go to the Regional Finals. I went over their non-con and they played Marquette and Tennessee relatively close, but lost. I understand they had a solid Big 10, but did anyone who watch them were impressed enough to pick them to beat Iowa State?
They won their conference tourney.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Yes, totally similar circumstances. We DID win the Big 12 tournament going away and got to play less than a mile from Iowa in front of at least 13,000 fans that year too. Correct? AND we had a totally cohesive locker room that couldn't keep from saying they are very close every opportunity. Right?

We could lose, yes. Anything is possible. But, Howard didn't beat a strong, moving forward, focused team that day. Many teams would have beat us that day. It was a very sad ending to a reasonably good year. But, we didn't know how broken things were at that point.

I believe this team is very focused and should make the Sweet 16. Past that, matchups will factor in a lot (I know, no crap.)
We didn't win the tourney that year.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Not that it means much but all the local talking heads here in Orlando are taking SDSU over ISU. They seem to think the Clones can't score.
Taking as in outright win or taking as in covering the spread?

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Not that it means much but all the local talking heads here in Orlando are taking SDSU over ISU. They seem to think the Clones can't score.
I know it's not your take, but they think Iowa State can't score against SDSU more than they think SDSU can't score against Iowa State? That's crazy. There's no metric that supports that.

Illinois scores a lot of points, but they give a lot up. We don't get ourselves into track meets. We don't have to play anyone else's game this year. That's what is different. We have depth that can hold the pace we want to play.

seadog

Oct 11, 2008

We could lose, yes. Anything is possible. But, Howard didn't beat a strong, moving forward, focused team that day. Many teams would have beat us that day. It was a very sad ending to a reasonably good year. But, we didn't know how broken things were at that point.

Howard???

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
bracketologists has the Clones as 16 point favorites. My guess is we start off fast like in the Non con where we jump up double digits in the first 8 minutes and stranglehold them the rest of the game.

I'd recommend rotating subs in early, one at a time, (as if there was a starter in foul problems) to give the bench a few more minutes working with the starters in a live game situation and get past the initial "I'm in a NCAA Tournament game!" shock over with.

Reactions: Jerry Seydell

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
To be fair - I don't blame any outsider who watched us in the tournament last year that holds this opinion.

I can see your point, that was a rough game last yr. If you just see ISU in March, I can understand that. Watching the team this yr, we've got 3 guys we can count on to score and 7 that do score. When Milan, C.Jones, and Lipsey shoot the 3 I expect it to drop. then with BRE and Tre etc going to the paint we are much improved offensively over last yr.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Seydell