LE podcast

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
We don't retire jerseys but surely we could hang one of these up somewhere.
il_570xN.3550413991_8ftq.jpg
"Well Adidas paid me 100 thousand a year to wear it"

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Random but the convo about the 2003-04 team prompted me to look at that season's schedule/results.

Why did ISU play Iowa in January?

That is odd. I don't remember that and I certainly don't know the reasoning. Maybe someone here knows the scoop.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That '03-'04 team was such a shoulda been squad. That loss to a completely wiped out Baylor in Waco, a bad Nebraska team in Lincoln, and the screw job at Phog Allen kept us out of the tournament.

It makes you wonder what happens to ISU basketball if Wayne Morgan goes dancing in his first two seasons. He almost certainly doesn't get fired after '05-'06, and Greg likely ends up at K State. I don't think it would have ultimately kept Morgan around too many more years, but JP would have been likely been hiring his replacement after having already hired Chizik, and who knows who that would have been?

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
That '03-'04 team was such a shoulda been squad. That loss to a completely wiped out Baylor in Waco, a bad Nebraska team in Lincoln, and the screw job at Phog Allen kept us out of the tournament.

It makes you wonder what happens to ISU basketball if Wayne Morgan goes dancing in his first two seasons. He almost certainly doesn't get fired after '05-'06, and Greg likely ends up at K State. I don't think it would have ultimately kept Morgan around too many more years, but JP would have been likely been hiring his replacement after having already hired Chizik, and who knows who that would have been?
That 03-04 team didn't have a chance. They were behind 10-0 every night just on coaching alone. I still contend that Wayne Morgan leading a team to the NCAA tournament might be one of the biggest upsets in all of sports. Nice guy though

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
My dad and a few others used to go to most or all of Tim's and Larry's practices. They didn't interact with the players unless they came over to them before or after.
First practice Morgan said..... "All you old men GTFO of my practice" I don't want any of you old men in here" It was his prerogative for sure but could have handled it a little differently.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My dad and a few others used to go to most or all of Tim's and Larry's practices. They didn't interact with the players unless they came over to them before or after.
First practice Morgan said..... "All you old men GTFO of my practice" I don't want any of you old men in here" It was his prerogative for sure but could have handled it a little differently.
This was a thing?

I can't imagine people actually attending college practices today. I'm stunned Tim and Larry tolerated it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah I don't remember or forgot about that.

One of my favorite players all time.
I think that's the kind of thing that prior to the proliferation of message boards and social media, that most fans just wouldn't have any knowledge of.

Back then, what you knew about the team is basically what you could read in the Register or what Pete and Heft told you in the broadcasts.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This was a thing?

I can't imagine people actually attending college practices today. I'm stunned Tim and Larry tolerated it.

I knew someone who got to go to a Larry practice with a local high school coach.

It is a little odd but this was also before cell phone filming.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I've heard that Morgan was ultra paranoid thinking people were spying on his practices.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think that's the kind of thing that prior to the proliferation of message boards and social media, that most fans just wouldn't have any knowledge of.

Back then, what you knew about the team is basically what you could read in the Register or what Pete and Heft told you in the broadcasts.

Yeah and there wouldn't be a bunch of viral videos of him playing some random high school game that gives fans 'insight' of what to expect.

Imo that kind of thing has made things worse for some folks coping with a loss or someone not coming out firing on all cylinders at all times from the get-go.

If you watch any of the 99-00 or 00-01 games/clips, they were far from perfect.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There was a brief mention of Haluska. If anyone wants to catch his perspective, the Moonlight Graham pod had him on once.

Reactions: cyflyboy

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
LE asked in the interview if we had Kansas on our uniforms do you think we would have been a 1 seed? That team wasn't ranked until February 1st so yes but it's also pretty common knowledge that the ISU administration was pushing for the 2 seed in the Midwest instead of the 1 seed in the west because they wanted Minneapolis for the first 2 rounds, I wonder if he knows that? That decision will likely go down as the biggest mistake I'm the history of ISU athletics.