Kyle Kempt

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He spun those two housed swing passes in there perfectly.
At first he was off on some touch passes. It must have been nerves, as he finished 18/24. I'm not sure his touch is better, but his decisions were very good.

If we give Park that game plan and the WRs make those plays, Park is an all-conference QB....if he is able to be 'all-in'. He's had one poor game and it sounds like it probably had some of the field reasons.

It's great to know that between Kempt and Lanning we don't need to play Park until he has recovered and made progress on whatever the issue.

Reactions: k123

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Tiller 2.0??? Or the real deal??? (but if my weak memory is correct, even Tiller only had 1 td a Neb)

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Tiller 2.0??? Or the real deal??? (but if my weak memory is correct, even Tiller only had 1 td a Neb)
Not even close to Tiller imo. Tiller looked like an overmatched freshman surviving due to an average NU team turning it over 8 times.

I'd say closer to Richardson looking like Brady against KU. Does he come out with a mediocre Game 2 like Sam against WVU (although Sam played well given the conditions).

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
He threw swing passes today better than any Iowa State QB I’ve ever seen. He throws a really pretty ball, but I think that’s partially because it’s moving so slow. :)

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

brycy

Apr 11, 2006
His yards per completion has to be high on ISU record list, doesn't it? Don't recall a lot of 300+ yard passing days, but to do on 18 completions is impressive.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I missed the game. :( And you know how you hate to watch a replay of a lost game? I'm going to enjoy watching this one!

Great game Cyclones! Kempt and the boys 'swallowed' the Sooners!! Red OrrCyclone swallows Sooners No border.png

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Shrinking the playbook was a blessing in disguise. They proved they can run the ball and that combined with short passing game kept the ball moving and the OU defense on the field.
I think it forced the receivers to step up too. It seems like they relax when Park is in there and expect the ball to be thrown perfect. With Kempt, they had the mind set that they were going to have to make plays themselves. Their play today was a huge step up from previous games this season between tough catches made by Lazard, Butler and Eaton, to their blocking on screen/swing passes. That had as much to do with Kempt's performance as anything. They didn't help Park much the first 4 games with am the dropped passes.

Last edited:

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
The thing that Kempt has that I haven't seen in years at ISU, is a QB with touch. Seems like all of our quarterbacks wanna throw the ball as hard as they can. Now we can't sit here and say he is better then Park after this performance but what u can say is that we can at least be confident in Kempt leading this team going forward.
Park has touch. He had one bad game, with pressure in his face every play. He was on pace to shatter like every passing record in school history this season. Kempt played a great game though. Its a luxury to have multiple QB's we can win with.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I th

It helped that Manning had a game plan today, unlike the Texas game.

I think it forced the receivers to step up too. It seems like they relax when Park is in there and expect the ball to be thrown perfect. With Kempt, they had the mind set that they were going to have to make plays themselves. Their play today was a huge step up from previous games this season between tough catches made by Lazard, Butler and Eaton, to their blocking on screen/swing passes. That had as much to do with Kempt's performance as anything. They didn't help Park much the first 4 games with am the dropped passes.

Reactions: isutrevman

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
That's what I saw. A guy calmly making the plays that he has the ability to make. He may not throw the thirty yard out off his back foot, but he can put it where our guys have the chance to catch it.

Kempt played within himself and the game plan, with ample DM carries and high percentage passes, really set him up for success. The game plan also amplified our best mismatch of the game: Our WR against their DBs in space. Too bad we didn't see more of that against TU.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
He threw swing passes today better than any Iowa State QB I’ve ever seen. He throws a really pretty ball, but I think that’s partially because it’s moving so slow. :)
But it is consistently accurate. And see how our receivers appreciated that.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and CyItIs

Help Support Us

Become a patron