Ku's Cliff ...

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Tuco is probably right here. I just don't see what the risk for KU would be, unless there was a KU booster somehow tied to that loan, making Alexander's initial recruitment suspect. The family has lawyered up, there will be no resolution by the NCAA any time soon.
There will be no resolution from the ncaa ever because there is no reason whatsoever for the Alexander family to ever speak to the ncaa. Cliff is going into the draft so he has no reason to try to get reinstated. If he wanted to return to school, he'd need his family to talk to the ncaa and then they'd go through the standard penalty for impermissible benefits, which includes a donation of the benefit amount to an ncaa charity. Let's say the loan was for $10,000 for sake of argument. They'd have to come up with $10,000 to donate to charity to get Cliff reinstated AND they would still have to replay the original $10,000 loan. If they needed a $10,000 loan then they certainly don't have $10,000 sitting around to give the ncaa to get Cliff reinstated and I am doubtful if the Capital company holding their loan is going to OK them not making payments on that loan for another year while Cliff goes back to school. Factor in the games penalty phase and Cliff would likely have to sit for a year's worth of games so that just multiplies the reasons not to return to college. He's gone and this is done. It is clear that an agent pointed the family in the direction of this loan. No booster that wanted to cheat would do so by having someone fill out forms that are filed in court and publicly available.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
What's with so many people picking Wichita State over KU? I know KU won't have Cliff and are a bit banged up, but I just don't see this happening.

I think the better play is Wichita State over New Mexico State.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Tuco is probably right here.

I just don't see what the risk for KU would be, unless there was a KU booster somehow tied to that loan, making Alexander's initial recruitment suspect. The family has lawyered up, there will be no resolution by the NCAA any time soon.

Unless it is shown somehow that Kansas knew about the money before the NCAA notified them. If Kansas knew of this and still played him, then there is a possibility of further sanctions.

But, you are right that if the family is okay with him going pro this year, then they won't ever talk and this won't ever be fully resolved. But if he's not projected high, they may want to talk to negotiate getting him another season.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Unless it is shown somehow that Kansas knew about the money before the NCAA notified them. If Kansas knew of this and still played him, then there is a possibility of further sanctions. But, you are right that if the family is okay with him going pro this year, then they won't ever talk and this won't ever be fully resolved. But if he's not projected high, they may want to talk to negotiate getting him another season.
The NCAA isn't going to lessen the posted punishment that is clearly defined, especially after the Alexander's have stonewalled them to this point. If they were smart enough to try to figure out how to get Cliff back on the court next year then they wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place. They appear to have assumed last August that Cliff was on his way to a great season and a lottery pick in the draft so they started cashing in on it. Reality did not match their expectations unfortunately so now they are left to deal with the consequences of their impatience. I have no pity for them or their situation.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
That's not how it works. KU is at no risk of having any of their season washed out. The ncaa has been pretty clear about that from Day One. This is a Cliff issue, not a KU issue. If his family accepted impermissable benefits then Cliff would face a penalty once discovered. If it's more than $1000 (and really, who gets a loan for less than $1000) then the penalty is listed as such: "Eligibility reinstated based on repayment of value of the impermissible benefits received and a minimum withholding condition should be sit-a-season, charge-a-season up to permanent ineligibility."

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Division I ACP Guidelines Chart (May 2014).pdf

There isn't a retroactive penalty against the school since they almost never discover situations like this while the players are playing and the player was cleared by the ncaa originally. The only way Cliff could have come back this year was if the amount was $500 or less. I assume the ncaa is aware of what the dollar amount is. Sorry, but this isn't going to be a Kansas problem other than being a player down the rest of the year.

Wichita State's baseball scandal is an example of a cases where a program HAS had to vacate wins due to players receiving impermissible benefits after 21 baseball players were found to have received 50% discounts not available to the general public on all Under Armor gear for a period of two years.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...a-probation-for-impermissible-benefits-012915

Kinda different.

Thanks for the detailed response to my questions.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Thanks for the detailed response to my questions.
The NCAA can't just "decide to move fast" when what is keeping them from doing anything is an interview that they will never get so your question isn't one that will ever need to be answered. That's my point.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Replace Illini hat with second year at KU hat, replace KU hat with NBA hat.

ku-xlarge.gif

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Bad move. Because I actually wish he had stayed. Not a good sign for your draft prospects if rival teams want him to stay in school another year. What a waste.

MidwestConnecti

Apr 6, 2015
From what I have heard, he wanted to stay for a second year. However, with no decision coming from the NCAA anytime soon he was really left no option.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
At this point i dont know if this kid would be a good role player in Europe even

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron