Votes: 120 24.1%
  • Win by 8-14

Votes: 212 42.7%
  • Win by 15+

Votes: 50 10.1%

• Total voters

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
We are going to lose this game and on the positive side, all these noise markers will leave Coach Matt Campbell alone because I’m sick and tired of hearing his name to Nebraska all the time. I hope we win ugly though and everyone starts to say “Kansas is Kansas”

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I have ISU winning by 7 in my pool, 35-28. Defense matters. My confidence level with any B12 game though is zero at this point in time.
Defense matters. On opening drive, Baylor had 4th and two in red zone. Then 3rd and goal. Stopping either would have been huge.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Some thoughts on the team thus far and KU this weekend.

(Posted this in another thread but edited it and added some additional notes for this thread)

- Losing B. Freyler on the 3rd play of the game last week hurt more than I think a lot of people realize. He is one of if not the most important guy on the Cyclones defense - especially vs a run heavy/power team like Baylor. His ability to stop the run from his safety position is unmatched, and he can cover too. After he was ejected, Baylor continuously went at the middle of the field and in particular at Freylers backup - Mason Chambers - who really really struggled. To the point where he was benched in the 4th Qtr. Chambers was poor in coverage and found himself out of position numerous times. It truly was unfortunate that Freyler was tossed, because due to Isheem Young and Craig McDonald transferring this past offseason, safety (and in particular, Freyler’s backup spot) is the position we are likely the thinnest at. (Clearly the Baylor staff was aware of that too). I expect having Freyler back this week will make a huge difference, and it will again be noticed just how vital he is to this team.

- TE questions. The group at TE has been mediocre at best so far this season, and given how much they are on the field, whether it be 1, 2, or even 3 TE sets, that is an issue. We have had the luxury of having 3 excellent TEs the past several years - who really were elite at blocking. This group so far - besides Rus at times - is not there yet. That issue really presented itself vs a DLine like Baylor. Now, KUs DLine and front 7 are not near as good, big or tough as what we just saw. Which is a good because this TE room needs to grow up fast.

I think Kansas is much improved from years past BUT I still don’t think they are capable of beating top half B12 teams. The double OT shootout with WVU is a solid win but both Duke and Houston are outside the top 65 in terms of overall power rankings so I am not as impressed with their season as other seem to be. I expect the Cyclones to win by 10+ Saturday.

Some bold thoughts/predictions for KU.
- Cartavious Norton Breaks Out to the tune of 80+ total yards and a TD. Hopefully he is close to 100% and can get a decent work load spelling J. Brock. The offense should be able to hum, primarily on the ground.

- Special teams makes a difference … in a good way. This last week vs Baylor special teams was solid, I expect that to continue to the point of a big return or muffed punt recovery or momentum changing play for the Cyclones.

Iowa State - 35
Kansas - 24
Bingo on the first point. Freyler is, IMHO, our best and most important defensive player. The dude could be a future stud in the NFL. He's that good. Losing him that early crippled our defense against Baylor. He's going to be back, and he's going to be angry. Expect his presence in the middle to prevent a lot of quarterback runs, which is the strength of the KU offense. This one shouldn't be overly difficult. Too many people on ESPN, and even on Cyclone Fanatic, are acting like Kansas is a top 10 team that could challenge Alabama for a title. They're not a good team.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Totally agree.
Their QB scares me.
We never do well against a QB that can run and throw and improvise.
Their QB is good...but scares you? We've seen this kid before, and he wasn't that great against us then.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Their QB is good...but scares you? We've seen this kid before, and he wasn't that great against us then.
Yeah, young players never get better. He is only 19 now so he was what? A 17 year old true Freshman when he last played against ISU?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yeah, young players never get better. He is only 19 now so he was what? A 17 year old true Freshman when he last played against ISU?
We beat them by like 50 last time. He's improved enough to erase a 50-point margin? Highly, highly unlikely.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You can't really believe this right? I mean both teams are completely different.
It's a poor way to illustrate my point that I just don't see it in them. They've beaten nobody. They still have many of the same horrible players with some new ones. They may beat us and I will change my tune but I just don't see it.

Reactions: Halincandenza

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We beat them by like 50 last time. He's improved enough to erase a 50-point margin? Highly, highly unlikely.

I'm in the camp that KU last year at this time was very different than November, and right now they're better than that, and I'm not trusting ISU to be consistent enough to win comfortably.

Reactions: Halincandenza

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Last time I saw a sellout at KU I was in my early 30's!
I SAY ITS CYCLONES 35 & KU 28!! Thats right, ISU wins by a touchdown plus the xtra point!

...AND REMEMBER ... GO CYCLONES!!

Reactions: t-noah

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
It's a poor way to illustrate my point that I just don't see it in them. They've beaten nobody. They still have many of the same horrible players with some new ones. They may beat us and I will change my tune but I just don't see it.
Two years ago they would be at best 1-3 but I think even that first game is in question. They have improved a ton. Their wins at WVU, at Houston and Duke are good wins. You don't have the kind of efficiency numbers they have on offense right now against Power 5 teams and Houston, which will be one, without making major improvements. I am not saying they are a top 25 team or anything but they are much improved especially and mostly on the offensive side. Their QB is playing at an extremely high level and they do have talented RBs.

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
If we'd already won a conference road game, gone on the road to Houston and put up 48 points, and beaten a P5 opponent at home to go 4-0, we'd all be talking about how we're destined for a conference championship if not the playoff. KU deserves every bit of hype they're getting.

I still think we win because our defense is better, but it will not be easy.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
KU's offense scares me but a couple things that give me confidence:

1) KU has not played a good defense yet this year.
2) Heacock has proven over the past 5 years that he can wrangle in high-powered offenses and hold them well-below their average (WVU with Greier, TCU with Boykin, OU with their 3 straight Heisman QB's all come to mind)

I also think it helps us to have played Baylor and adjusted to the talent level of a competent offense, whereas I'm not sure KU has had to adjust to a competent defense yet. We saw how Mich struggled last weekend, having to adjust to the first time playing a team with a pulse on either side of the ball.

We have a pretty good idea of KU's defense. Points should not be hard to come by if we limit turnovers and penalties. I think this is a Heacock statement game and a reality check for KU.

ISU 38 - KU 28

All that said, this game scares the hell out of me.

This is exactly how I feel. I feel confident that we will show up and win, but the game still scares the hell out of me.

I have faith this game will be won in the trenches, and our OL/DL are better than their OL/DL. Our DL absolutely has to maintain gap integrity, force Daniels to beat you from the pocket.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
What are your predictions for this weekend?

What do you think the difference makers will be?
I'll say Tar Heels 37 - 24. Both teams not too great so far. // NC better than VA Tech at home.

Oh, you mean our game? Ha, Just a little humor. My way of saying I'm no longer paying attention to B1G, SEC, or PAC10.
The only P5 left is ACC.

ISU 41 - 27 over KU. We will need +2 turnovers to assure a comfortable win.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Last time I saw a sellout at KU I was in my early 30's!
I SAY ITS CYCLONES 35 & KU 28!! Thats right, ISU wins by a touchdown plus the xtra point!

...AND REMEMBER ... GO CYCLONES!!
And you are now...37, 38?

Haha! Just foolin around Bobby! :)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron