Votes: 212 42.7%
  • Win by 15+

Votes: 50 10.1%

• Total voters

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
CycloneJerry already added context to that. Most of those games we were the road dog to a top 25 team. I believe we are 7-10-1 ATS now in them. Not nearly as bad as that initial stat would have you believe.
not sure how being on the road against a top 25 team is relevant. The point spread is what it is...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think we win by 10+. Barring turnovers, I don't think our offense will have any problem moving the ball on this Kansas defense. I think we run the ball effectively and I think that'll open up the passing game. I also don't think they're going to have anyone that's going to be able to check X, so hoping for a big day out of him.

As for the defense, containing Daniels is obviously priority #1a and #1b. He's the straw that stirs the drink and unlike other QB's like him that we've faced in the past, he doesn't have an incredible supporting cast.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
not sure how being on the road against a top 25 team is relevant. The point spread is what it is...
I think it's certainly interesting to note that a lot of those games we've lost which have had very close spreads have been games where the opponent was ranked.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Sure, but it doesn't mean we were less likely to win.
Oh for sure. I think it's mostly clarification in that the games that have close spreads tend to be games that we're playing ranked opponents.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think we win by 10+. Barring turnovers, I don't think our offense will have any problem moving the ball on this Kansas defense. I think we run the ball effectively and I think that'll open up the passing game. I also don't think they're going to have anyone that's going to be able to check X, so hoping for a big day out of him.

As for the defense, containing Daniels is obviously priority #1a and #1b. He's the straw that stirs the drink and unlike other QB's like him that we've faced in the past, he doesn't have an incredible supporting cast.

If/when it's first and goal, ISU needs to get up there with a pace and play with a purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
I almost agree with everything you said. Except I don't believe Kansas has a better offense than Baylor. Baylor has played much tougher competition and I think people put to much stock into KU's win over Duke and Houston. Houston will be 6-6 in the American and Dukes' best win this year is a 2 win Temple team.
You're right about their level of competition, but they have been really good on offense going back to last year. Rewatch that Texas game. They figured something out at the end of the year with Daniels at QB that makes them really hard to stop and have just kept rolling.

I hope I'm wrong and our defense is able to handle them. We did a pretty good job with Baylor outside a couple miscues and the bogus penalties.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You're right about their level of competition, but they have been really good on offense going back to last year. Rewatch that Texas game. They figured something out at the end of the year with Daniels at QB that makes them really hard to stop and have just kept rolling.

I hope I'm wrong and our defense is able to handle them. We did a pretty good job with Baylor outside a couple miscues and the bogus penalties.
The did put up a bunch of points against a Texas te that finished 5-7 and had probably quit on the season at that point.

Then they scored 28 each in losses to a 5-7 TCU and 6-7 WVU. All3 of these teams finished in the bottom half of the league.

This year they hung 56 on a bad FCS team. Then they got 55 against WVU but 13 of those were in OT. 48 against Houston was legit, but Houston doesn't look too strong this year. 35 against Duke is solid, but the quality of Duke seems suspect.

Basically going back to the UT game last year, I think that 6-7 WVU team may have been the toughest team they have played. They are putting up some better numbers than they used to against bad teams. People are just getting excited because this is a huge step up from where they were. But they were so low it takes a huge step up just to become bad.

Reactions: RedBlooded

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
  • ISU (3-1)
    • Rush Offense: #93
    • Rush Defense: #7
    • Pass Offense: #51
    • Pass Defense: #32
    • Fewest Penalties: #62
    • Turnovers Lost: #87
      • 2 Fumbles & 5 Interceptions
    • 3rd down Conversion Percentage: #15 @ 51%
  • Kansas (4-0)
    • Rush Offense: #8
    • Rush Defense: #65
    • Pass Offense: #83
    • Pass Defense: #100
    • Fewest Penalties: #26
    • Turnovers Lost: #35
      • 3 Fumbles & 1 Interception
    • 3rd Down Conversion Percentage: #2 @ 67%
Great info.
Question 1: is ISU rush attack low because they are bad at it, or because Iowa and Baylor are tough?
Question 2: is KU rush attack high because they are good at it, or because they have played crap defenses?

Think we are gonna find out in 2 days.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
ISU 38 - 14. Our defense is much better than what they have seen. I also almost expect a defensive score in this game. KU is better than last year but I don't think they caught up to us when our recruiting classes have been getting better every year. I just don't see us losing two weeks in a row to a team we beat by 40+ a year ago. I think we will run very effectively against them. We will have a 100 yard rusher and the other 3 will combine for at least 150 yards. I hope the crowd leaves at halftime to beat the traffic home because we are up 4 scores. But I really think this is still one of the easier games on our schedule precisely because I don't respect their defense at all.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Not sure on score yet but here's the concerns...

It’s really hard to say it about a KU team, but they may be the most competent and dynamic offense we play all year.

My biggest fear is that KU is going to give us something new – they can be incredibly successful throwing down field, but the QB scramble is just as effective. That has not been a friendly combination to us in the past. We have good run defense, but not against a mobile QB when we drop back into coverage.

It’s all going to come down to our offense keeping up with their offense (if it can). They could dink and dunk at will against us with our bend but don’t break defense. On the flip side, we’ve shown a tendency to blow coverage on the backside this year, we just haven’t faced a competent offense outside of Baylor that could take advantage of it.

Those explosive plays could put our offense in an unfriendly position when we’re so far turnover prone and inexperienced. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think we can wait to halftime to make defensive adjustments this time.
Actually I think the Baylor game was one of the few we made early adjustments on defense, how did that 3rd quarter go with a half time to dissect and counter the adjustments?

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Scott Van Pelt tonight picked the Cyclones on his Winners segment. Let it be done. Good effort thus far Kansas.

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
Some thoughts on the team thus far and KU this weekend.

(Posted this in another thread but edited it and added some additional notes for this thread)

- Losing B. Freyler on the 3rd play of the game last week hurt more than I think a lot of people realize. He is one of if not the most important guy on the Cyclones defense - especially vs a run heavy/power team like Baylor. His ability to stop the run from his safety position is unmatched, and he can cover too. After he was ejected, Baylor continuously went at the middle of the field and in particular at Freylers backup - Mason Chambers - who really really struggled. To the point where he was benched in the 4th Qtr. Chambers was poor in coverage and found himself out of position numerous times. It truly was unfortunate that Freyler was tossed, because due to Isheem Young and Craig McDonald transferring this past offseason, safety (and in particular, Freyler’s backup spot) is the position we are likely the thinnest at. (Clearly the Baylor staff was aware of that too). I expect having Freyler back this week will make a huge difference, and it will again be noticed just how vital he is to this team.

- TE questions. The group at TE has been mediocre at best so far this season, and given how much they are on the field, whether it be 1, 2, or even 3 TE sets, that is an issue. We have had the luxury of having 3 excellent TEs the past several years - who really were elite at blocking. This group so far - besides Rus at times - is not there yet. That issue really presented itself vs a DLine like Baylor. Now, KUs DLine and front 7 are not near as good, big or tough as what we just saw. Which is a good because this TE room needs to grow up fast.

I think Kansas is much improved from years past BUT I still don’t think they are capable of beating top half B12 teams. The double OT shootout with WVU is a solid win but both Duke and Houston are outside the top 65 in terms of overall power rankings so I am not as impressed with their season as other seem to be. I expect the Cyclones to win by 10+ Saturday.

Some bold thoughts/predictions for KU.
- Cartavious Norton Breaks Out to the tune of 80+ total yards and a TD. Hopefully he is close to 100% and can get a decent work load spelling J. Brock. The offense should be able to hum, primarily on the ground.

- Special teams makes a difference … in a good way. This last week vs Baylor special teams was solid, I expect that to continue to the point of a big return or muffed punt recovery or momentum changing play for the Cyclones.

Iowa State - 35
Kansas - 24

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes and 83cy

83cy

May 14, 2006
  • ISU (3-1)
    • Rush Offense: #93
    • Rush Defense: #7
    • Pass Offense: #51
    • Pass Defense: #32
    • Fewest Penalties: #62