Kempt

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
Did you know that Kempt has better completion % and YPA than Park? It is hard to believe “strong armed” Park has lower YPA than “weak armed” Kempt.
Park also had more passing yards in 3 games than kempt does in 5. And they are about even on td passes. Stats can be perceived in many ways.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I am REALLY curious to see what Manning can do with a good offensive line. For the tools he has to work with.....he's doing exceedingly well. Its too bad the 2 linemen transfers decided not to show up this year.
Lets also remember is that the guy is in year 2 as an OC, so he is really learning on the job. His work developing OL at Toledo was great, and considering the hand he was dealt with the OL last year I thought he did a great job making that unit serviceable. As poor as the run blocking has been, pass protection has been very good.

Reactions: Ficklone02

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Why do we have to have this discussion every week? It makes me kind of sad for Cyclone fans, I usually consider us a pretty knowledgeable fan base. Then I see threads like these and just shake my head.

I just see no reason to get worked up about something we cannot change. And more so, see no reason to throw Kempt under the bus when he's done all that can be asked of him. Park is not here, so he isn't playing and Kempt gives us the best option we have right now to succeed.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Why are people talking about Park? He isn't an option. The way I see it, Kempt has stepped up big time in a nearly impossible situation for our team and our University. He has won games no one thought possible and brought tons of positive exposure for our University all while being a walkon. Maybe we should cut him a little slack. Based on the last 5 games, I'm betting Kyle and his teammates will be ready to go come Saturday.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Kyle is playing just fine. On that last play the O line let pressure force him to throw too soon. Also let's not forget, our defense getting turnovers has been a Major factor in our wins. On Saturday that did not happen and so we lost. We NEED turnovers against these teams that are favored over ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonefan94

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
The playcalling was eerily similar to the Texas game on offense. If you only give up 20 points to WVU, you should be able to score more than 21 to win. It was abysmal playcalling. I thought Campbell let Messingham come back to call a game again.
Kempt has done very well passing for TDs in the red zone. I still don't understand why we were attempting to force it in on the ground, especially when WVUs line was pushing ours backwards all day?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Did you know that Kempt has better completion % and YPA than Park? It is hard to believe “strong armed” Park has lower YPA than “weak armed” Kempt.

Keep moving the goal posts to poor arguments. Since Kempt has come in we have hammered the perimeter passing game and guys have been able to break free. Those yards aren't coming on throws down the field. Besides, Kempt has .05 yards more per attempt.

I think if the Park saga took place after any game besides the Texas one, this feeling is way different.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Defenses know that Kempt is limited and have figured our ways in their scheming to stop us offensively. It worked so well for a few games because people were still unsure what we were trying to do.

It doesn't come as a surprise (to me) that our offense is struggling.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Keep moving the goal posts to poor arguments. Since Kempt has come in we have hammered the perimeter passing game and guys have been able to break free. Those yards aren't coming on throws down the field. Besides, Kempt has .05 yards more per attempt.

I think if the Park saga took place after any game besides the Texas one, this feeling is way different.

You’re doing the same thing to Kempt that you are accusing people of doing to park.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I actually don't have a problem with Kempt holding on to a few and running. It's necessary to keep the defense honest. However, the moments during the game he either chose or was told to keep the ball were a bit baffling. Oh well.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Oh yeah. What's that?

Excusing the Texas game. Ignoring the record. If one gets a free pass, the other should too.

Let’s be honest, Park wasn’t as bad as I think. And Kempt isn’t as bad as you think.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Defenses know that Kempt is limited and have figured our ways in their scheming to stop us offensively. It worked so well for a few games because people were still unsure what we were trying to do.

It doesn't come as a surprise (to me) that our offense is struggling.

I don't think this is necessarily the case though. By not being able to run on WV's 3 man front of course the passing game was going to be challenging. This is exact same reason why our defense has excelled this year. If a team can drop 8 guys into coverage the windows are going to be pretty dang small.

• Winner
Reactions: bozclone

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Just don't have Kempt execute designed QB runs. I'd rather have the defense know that Lanning is in to run the ball than watch Kyle run again.

#LanRam

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
QB alone? No it hasn't. The offense has been feckless since OU and even then, he was throwing it out to guys and they were outrunning everyone. As I said, he's been fine and he's what you expect, really out of any backup in our situation, but to act as if he's the reason for this teams success is disingenuous. Against ok-at-best defenses, we have put up 24 and 16 offensive points. 14 against the good defense and were shut out in the second half.

Like I've said, Kempt doesn't make much in the way of mistakes and he's generally fine, but acting like he's been the propeller for the last month isn't factually accurate. He hasn't had a ton of help, especially today, so failures are hardly on him as well. It's much more an Oline and, today, the WRs. He's just kind of Sam Richardson out there.

Are you serious? Holy cow man. You are a good poster, but that is just ridiculous.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I don't think this is necessarily the case though. By not being able to run on WV's 3 man front of course the passing game was going to be challenging. This is exact same reason why our defense has excelled this year. If a team can drop 8 guys into coverage the windows are going to be pretty dang small.

It may not be 100% of the case, but I think it is something that isn't helping.

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014

True, but in this "What have you done for me lately" society, its a big factor on peoples opinions. Stats can be presented in each of their favors. In this case I think it boils down to the most universally accepted stat. Wins vs Losses

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Excusing the Texas game. Ignoring the record. If one gets a free pass, the other should too.

Let’s be honest, Park wasn’t as bad as I think. And Kempt isn’t as bad as you think.

The thing is, I never said Kempt was bad. What I've said, consistently, is that he's going to make a lot of good decisions but at some point, there are going to be throws that he needs to make and doesn't. Every throw except those perimeter throws is a degree harder for him. That last throw to Butler is a degree harder for him. That throw down the sideline to Ryen is harder. Is he going to make them sometimes? Sure, and he has. He does very well most of the time but he's limited downfield and everyone knows it. There's no respect for anything over the top.

Also tell me when Park has had defensive support like the past few games. It's tough when he was splitting time last year but that offense wins a lot more games and easily goes to a bowl with that defensive output.

I also didn't give anyone a free pass. I'm just saying that if Park leaves after the Iowa game, people are looking at this offense differently.

• Agree
Reactions: ZB4CY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron