Kelvin Sampson post game

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
Much different tone than the loss in Ames. I don’t think he gave ISU an ounce of credit in that one. I’m sure he didn’t think we were any good. We didn’t have any quality wins at that point. Nice to hear his stance change a bit.
Was going to post this if no one else. Was so surprised to see everyone saying how he is a class act after the pouting fit he had after they lost in Hilton. And he only wanted to talk about how his players lost the game; not how ISU won it. 2 postgame losses to ISU this season for him and those postgames couldn't be more opposite.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I remember back in the day he called in to larry eustachey’s monday night show under a fake name and talked to larry for a while. total classic and funny.
What I would give to be in a room with Sampson and Larry exchanging stories about the old Big 12

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
Compare today's Kelvin Sampson postgame after a 28 pt loss in Hilton South when Houston was ranked #1
with
Kelvin Sampson's postgame after a 4 pt loss in Hilton on 1/9/24 when Houston was ranked #2

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I saw an interview with him before our second game...he said something like "I looked at the film of our first game, and it was just them being really good most of the time". Think he looked back on that first game and realized how good of a game it was.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Interesting, he said the new teams need to pay attention, cause this is how it’s going to be moving forward.

Sampson is grouchy but the dude can coach. I hope they get healthy and get to the final four. I worry they are hitting their wall at a bad time.

So were we a week ago.

Never underestimate the immaculate healing powers of leather*. Once the ball tips and gets into your hands, it’s game time.

* unless you’re Iowa, and that Wilson leather makes you wither like krypotnite to Superman

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
His perspective on the fan base really opens my eyes (especially since he has experience coaching all around the country).

Call me crazy, but I think the NIL era could see the Big 12 emerge in bball like the SEC has in football - we have so many programs (us, KU, Okie state, K state, etc) with a passionate fan base, middling history in cfb, and no serious competition for fandom from local pro teams. College bball is the biggest game in town for us and for basically the whole conference. I love it!

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I have changed my tune on Bill Self over the years. He gives credit when it is due during a loss and makes the league better. I see the same characteristics in top coaches in the league in Sampson, Drew, and TJ. Having coaches like this who hate to lose to each other but respect the hell out of each other only makes the Big 12 stronger for years to come. I hope these guys stay at their respective schools and continue to keep the Big 12 College Basketball's elite conference.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron