NFL: Kansas City Chiefs Thread

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Not a doctor, but my guess is he'll be back to a new normal soon after surgery. ...
I think you may have hit it on the head here. It probably will never be the same, like it was before injury. Hopefully he will be able to do what he wants, and still be effective, with minimal and maybe eventually no pain.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The problem is the NFL only gives you so much draft capital and salary cap.

The Chiefs naturally aren't going to have much of the former because they'll be picking at the back of every round. And they aren't going to have much of the latter because they're paying Mahomes so much.

Something else is going to have to give, either on defense or on backs/receivers if they're investing in the line. Investing in the line might still make sense given you have to protect your 1/2 billion dollar QB, but taking away some of his weapons or making him play opposite a mediocre or bad defense is going to make things harder.
Bingo. I believe this is why we have not seen Green Bay in too many SB's (only one?) during Rodgers tenure so far.

Really amzing how New England, with Brady, was able to do what they did for so long.

Didn't Brady defer some of his contract money, just for these reasons? Plus I don't think Brady ever demanded as much money as he could have gotten throughout his career. He knew it takes a Team.

Reactions: NWICY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Bingo. I believe this is why we have not seen Green Bay in too many SB's (only one?) during Rodgers tenure so far.

Really amzing how New England, with Brady, was able to do what they did for so long.

Didn't Brady defer some of his contract money, just for these reasons? Plus I don't think Brady ever demanded as much money as he could have gotten throughout his career. He knew it takes a Team.

You could add Seattle with Wilson to the list, too. When Wilson was on a rookie contract/being paid way under his true value, they built excellent rosters that won one Super Bowl and nearly won a second.

I think New England's long-term dominance came down to...

-- Brady's productivity and health on a reasonable contract (always a bit underpaid, unlike Rodgers, as you note)
-- Belichick fleecing dumb teams in the draft constantly by trading down
-- always being willing to sell high/a year early on guys instead of a year too late
-- Dante Scarnecchia being able to manufacture decent offensive lines out of a stick of gum and a paperclip
-- while last year was kind of rough, I still think Belichick is obviously an all-timer with defensive schemes
-- the AFC East being loaded up with cupcakes for them always helped

Add these together and they were able to defy gravity so long.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
You could add Seattle with Wilson to the list, too. When Wilson was on a rookie contract/being paid way under his true value, they built excellent rosters that won one Super Bowl and nearly won a second.

-- Brady's productivity and health on a reasonable contract (always a bit underpaid, unlike Rodgers, as you note)
-- always being willing to sell high/a year early on guys instead of a year too late
-- Dante Scarnecchia being able to manufacture decent offensive lines out of a stick of gum and a paperclip
-- while last year was kind of rough, I still think Belichick is obviously an all-timer with defensive schemes

Agree, and well put!

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Really sad news from a former KC Star writer for the Chiefs. He was great at the Star and better writing for Yahoo. I got a lot of news from him. Shocking.....

Reactions: CyBobby and t-noah

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis

It helped that the Patriots essentially paid Brady under the table.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

So do you think Mahomes is going to be more like Wilson and Rodgers or more like Brady in terms of contract? Right NOW he is the highest paid player and QB. Will that change near the middle of Mahomes contract where he becomes more of a bargain (locked in for another 9 years)?

Right now, to me, KC is heading the way of Green Bay, Seattle due to Mahomes contract? Could they pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat? Sure, possible. But as we have seen over and over, it is very hard to stay at the top in the NFL.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I’m guessing you see them cut Fisher and a couple more guys and then restructure some deals to get some cap space.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It helped that the Patriots essentially paid Brady under the table.

They did push the envelope over the years. Most of the time got away with it.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So do you think Mahomes is going to be more like Wilson and Rodgers or more like Brady in terms of contract? Right NOW he is the highest paid player and QB. Will that change near the middle of Mahomes contract where he becomes more of a bargain (locked in for another 9 years)?

Right now, to me, KC is heading the way of Green Bay, Seattle due to Mahomes contract? Could they pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat? Sure, possible. But as we have seen over and over, it is very hard to stay at the top in the NFL.

The thing about Mahomes' contract is it is not structured like a fixed-rate mortgage where it is "locked in" while the price of the house keeps going up. It is on an escalator --

1612920735676.png

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/

He only made $22.8 million this season. You see things about his average salary being very high, but that is over the length of the contract. He is very reasonably priced this year for MVP production (and next year, for that matter) before his salary balloons to $40+ million in the subsequent years.

For comparison, here are the QBs set to make the most money in 2022...

1612920910500.png

I would definitely have Mahomes at that cost way more than I would have Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, Jared Goff, or any of the other mediocre guys up there. You can argue somebody like Rodgers is worth it because he produces, but Mahomes produces and he doesn't cost too much.

Mahomes' contract is backloaded on the salary. I am not sure why that might be, but I have two theories...

-- the Chiefs are betting the salary cap keeps increasing by $5-10 million per season, which means they can absorb Mahomes' ballooning contract through salary cap increases rather than having to go through and trim the roster of real contributors who can help them win games and even championships

-- maybe there was even a pitch made to Mahomes that him accepting only a modest salary for the first few years of his deal (while backloading it and guaranteeing much of it) would allow them to maintain a competitive roster in the short-term, which ultimately (1.) helps them win more games because they keep the roster together and (2.) makes Mahomes more valuable as an endorsement property, which is $$$ too

So I don't think the Chiefs are about to become the Packers or the Seahawks in the short-term -- good teams with great QBs but subpar rosters around them. I think they are going to keep being stacked. In the long-term, I do not know. So many variables are there about if Mahomes stays healthy, keeps producing, what happens with the growth of the cap, and how the Chiefs draft on average. No idea how these all work out.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah and 2020cy

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The thing about Mahomes' contract is it is not structured like a fixed-rate mortgage where it is "locked in" while the price of the house keeps going up. It is on an escalator --

View attachment 81692

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/

He only made $22.8 million this season. You see things about his average salary being very high, but that is over the length of the contract. He is very reasonably priced this year for MVP production (and next year, for that matter) before his salary balloons to $40+ million in the subsequent years.

For comparison, here are the QBs set to make the most money in 2022...

View attachment 81693

I would definitely have Mahomes at that cost way more than I would have Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, Jared Goff, or any of the other mediocre guys up there. You can argue somebody like Rodgers is worth it because he produces, but Mahomes produces and he doesn't cost too much.

Mahomes' contract is backloaded on the salary. I am not sure why that might be, but I have two theories...

-- the Chiefs are betting the salary cap keeps increasing by $5-10 million per season, which means they can absorb Mahomes' ballooning contract through salary cap increases rather than having to go through and trim the roster of real contributors who can help them win games and even championships

-- maybe there was even a pitch made to Mahomes that him accepting only a modest salary for the first few years of his deal (while backloading it and guaranteeing much of it) would allow them to maintain a competitive roster in the short-term, which ultimately (1.) helps them win more games because they keep the roster together and (2.) makes Mahomes more valuable as an endorsement property, which is $$$ too

So I don't think the Chiefs are about to become the Packers or the Seahawks in the short-term -- good teams with great QBs but subpar rosters around them. I think they are going to keep being stacked. In the long-term, I do not know. So many variables are there about if Mahomes stays healthy, keeps producing, what happens with the growth of the cap, and how the Chiefs draft on average. No idea how these all work out.
Thank you for this. Very informative!

I remember when Albert Pujois signed with the Angels (I think in 2012?) from the Cardinals. It was for $240,000,000 guaranteed for 10 years. We figured it out per minute. That's about $4,630 per minute, every minute of every day for 10 years! He also had some incentives to potentially take it well over that.

Chump change!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Thank you for this. Very informative!

I remember when Albert Pujois signed with the Angels (I think in 2012?) from the Cardinals. It was for $240,000,000 guaranteed for 10 years. We figured it out per minute. That's about $4,630 per minute, every minute of every day for 10 years! He also had some incentives to potentially take it well over that.

Chump change!

$48 million per year would be $3 million per regular season game.

Cousins (lol he is the highest paid QB in the NFL right now) is almost there.

Mahomes will be in a few seasons.

Reactions: t-noah

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Veach better have learned his lesson on availability of high paid players. Thanks Sammy!

Cutting Fisher when he'll likely miss a lot if not all of 2021 and cutting Schwartz with a lingering back injury while saving a ton of cap is probably the right thing to do.

But... where do we go from here? Niang RT and FA for LT? Can't expect a late first rounder to start at LT.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Also, the common Twitter reply is Patrick Mahomes reaction to hearing this. There is no way Veach did this without running it by his half-a-billion dollar investment.

• Agree
Reactions: IcSyUclone