Jury Duty

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
In the bizzare category, was foreperson for a civil suit in which all jury members agreed that the defendant was innocent, but 2 jury members still wanted to find in favor of the plaintiff, because they felt sorry for him and wanted to give him a wad of money because of a very painful injury. Took a while to convince them that the innocent defendant shouldn't have to give money to a plaintiff who was clearly responsible for injuring himself, while trespassing on the defendant's property.

What's wrong with some people?!

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
You can defer it (or I could in Polk County)
Yesterday, my wife just received notice for April 18th, which is Easter Monday. We had taken the day off since our daughter was off school and we were debating traveling for the weekend. She's not pleased.
Every jurisdiction is different, it is pretty easy to get a deferral in Polk County the first time, and a second time with a good reason. Probably shouldn't plan on a third time.

Polk District now calls for a week or one jury selection, whichever happens first. So, the likelihood of getting called increases since more jurists are needed for the shorter service time, but the time served is less unless one is selected for a long trial.

Regardless of what jurisdiction you live in, it's worthwhile to have her call to request one. For one, attorneys/judges may also have holiday plans, not want to have a lot of cases on the docket, hence fewer jurists needed.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
So the way Iowa law read according to the instructions we were given is your right to self defense ends once you can reasonably escape the situation at least that's how it was 6 years ago. What we were looking at was after he got up he continued to strike her. So we had to convict based on that but the prosecution didn't do a very good job of proving he choked her and legally there is a difference between just hitting someone and choking someone.
That used to be the case, but Iowa now has "stand your ground" law, so one is no longer required to flee a threat, especially in one's own home. That said, one isn't allowed to be an aggressor or to raise the level. For example, if the perpetrator attempts to flee after being confronted, the threat no longer exists and the person who was being threatened can't shoot the perpetrator in the back.

That's highly simplistic, someone who wants to be prepared should find instruction classes to become educated. What seems to be legitimate self defense can still be very, very expensive. Law enforcement may not agree, and even when they do, civil cases still can follow. Don't have to lose, winning a case still entails attorney fees.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I served on a jury for a guy charged with vehicular homicide. When we finally began deliberations on a Friday afternoon, I was the only juror who voted against a guilty verdict on the vehicular homicide charge. Talk about peer pressure. We reconvened the following week and ended up convicting him on a manslaughter charge.

Yeah it can be difficult for sure. The case I was on was for sexual assault. Literally the only evidence was the girl's apparent demeanor to her friends a party before and after it happened. Otherwise it was he said/she said.

My personal opinion was he probably did sexually assault her, but I don't think the evidence was there to prove it. Luckily I was an alternate so got to leave after the week was up. I don't think I could have said guilty (he ended up being guilty)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What do they do with those miles? Can they use them?
I don't know. I assume so. Once they announced this policy I just stopped putting my FF account on any work travel I took so I didn't have to deal with it. They never said you have to accumulate the miles, just that you have to turn them over if you do.

I think it is an optics thing because staff who don't travel are sure that those who have to endure work travel are getting some kind of unfair perk. Gotta keep the grumblers happy...

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
I’m sitting in the courthouse waiting, waiting, waiting for something to happen after checking in for jury duty this morning. This is my first time ever having to report so no idea what to expect. I’m swamped at work so I’m hoping not to get picked. But also intrigued by the idea of sitting on a criminal trial.

Anyone have any good stories or sat on any significant trials as a juror?
Not me, but my father sat on the jury for T-Bone Taylor's trial back in the day. Said they brought that porch/deck into the court room to have the witness replay everything that happened with the killing of the two officers. He said they even fired a gun with blanks in there as well. Sounded pretty interesting from what he's shared with me.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I just want to thank you all for this interesting and most timely topic. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the jury summons in today's mail, my second in four years.

Mar 21, 2021
Buddy of mine in San Diego got called for jury duty. During a break, was in hallway reading some billboard stuff. Started chatting with a cutie, turns out to be an attorney with offices in the complex. She left, and back at the office raved to her GF about the cute guy she'd just bumped into. Her GF INSISTED she march back down there and basically ask him out. She did. The marriage ensued two years later. Two beautiful high-schoolers, gorgeous home, the works. Jury duty pays!

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
I've been summoned starting next week. There's selection for a trial involving a guy killing a state trooper happening. I want to get picked for it because I think it'd be cool since I never sat on a jury before. I'm assuming I'll get selected for something dumb though.

Maybe a stupid question but are you allowed to talk about the case outside of court, or is that only after you've been selected and trial has started?

If you're in IA pretty sure most can find out which case this is for.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Maybe a stupid question but are you allowed to talk about the case outside of court, or is that only after you've been selected and trial has started?

If you're in IA pretty sure most can find out which case this is for.
No clue what the rules are before being selected. After selection you aren't allowed. I doubt I'll get selected for that trial since I have friends who are law enforcement and government attorney's. Defense will reject me as a juror pretty quickly on that.

• Informative
Reactions: ISUcyclones11

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I just want to thank you all for this interesting and most timely topic. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the jury summons in today's mail, my second in four years.

giphy.gif

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I recently was placed on a jury. what was interesting about it is that at the beginning, they ask everyone about their background including what do you do for a living. after that the attorneys narrowed in and asked more questions about the case or your ability to serve. I wasn't asked any questions after the first background questions, and I got chosen.

The trial was declared a mis-trial and the judge came in to talk to us and answer any questions. I asked "why was I chosen? all they knew about me was that name, marital status, occupation, and that I like to golf". she asked if I was an engineer, I said no, I'm in IT, and she said there you go. The judge said "People in IT or engineers are considered great jurors for both sides."
From my experience I've learned that the jury selection process is functionally a unique and critical part of trial lawyering. Lawyers with strong evidence-based cases will look for engineers and IT people. Lawyers with weak or frivolous cases will look for sheep who can be cajoled into following an idea rather than the presented facts.

I have been through the jury selection process four or more times and have been excused every time. I think I've been excused because I was a manager in a large company, wore a suit and tie, answered questions firmly, stayed alert, and tried to project a no nonsense type of personality.

Reactions: drlove

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
From my experience I've learned that the jury selection process is functionally a unique and critical part of trial lawyering. Lawyers with strong evidence-based cases will look for engineers and IT people. Lawyers with weak or frivolous cases will look for sheep who can be cajoled into following an idea rather than the presented facts.

I have been through the jury selection process four or more times and have been excused every time. I think I've been excused because I was a manager in a large company, wore a suit and tie, answered questions firmly, stayed alert, and tried to project a no nonsense type of personality.
One of the cases I was on was a civil case a guy suing his former employer. After the case was decided against the person suing the wining lawyer thanked us and I asked him why he choose me and he said it was because I worked for a company who he knew had strong principles and a great work ethic and he wanted that since the man suing was basically lazy and did not want to work just live off other people.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If you have a bit of a *ahem* record of sorts, are you less likely to be summoned? Asking for a friend.

• Haha
Reactions: JP4CY

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
One of the cases I was on was a civil case a guy suing his former employer. After the case was decided against the person suing the wining lawyer thanked us and I asked him why he choose me and he said it was because I worked for a company who he knew had strong principles and a great work ethic and he wanted that since the man suing was basically lazy and did not want to work just live off other people.
I’m not saying you don’t have strong principles/a good work ethic, but isn’t it possible the attorney was just being nice? Especially because as a civil attorney he’s reliant on good will. It’s not like he’s going to say “oh yeah, I chose you because you’re an idiot who will believe anything I tell them.”

And I guess I’m also not surprised that the attorney for an employer would publicly say that the former employee didn’t have a case.