JTS Improvements - Want More

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Yeah that was my understanding. So raising all the parking lots out of the flood plain seems like a huge permitting nightmare. Changing flood plain levels in one area can force other areas to flood that didnt before. Which is the issue. So I assumed it would always be a problem. But if they are planning on raising that area out of the flood plain, that changes things. I just didnt know that was possible, at least without basically an act of congress.
I’ve watched projects go in over the last twenty years that egregiously raised areas out of the flood plain, including along Duff and over around the 80/35 intersection. Why the City of Ames allowed this after the flooding of the early Nineties, I have zero idea.

Given that history, I honestly can’t imagine a couple of parking lots for ISU being much of a quibble.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Instead of building more in a flood plain just build a monorail to connect downtown ames and campustown with a station outside jack trice.

Definitely sounds cheaper imo.

Reactions: CrossCyed

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I did see they have about half of the railing installed on the east side of the ramp when I drove by this morning.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Some tidbits from Inside Iowa State:

University Boulevard pedestrian bridge​

The elevated walkway connecting the east concourse of Jack Trice Stadium to parking lots east of University Boulevard is about 70% complete and should be done by late July. The east ramp is built above a designated no-use corridor in ISU's southeast recreation fields. Steel spans across the road will be lifted into place the week of June 27. To accomplish this, daytime traffic will be limited to one lane in each direction, and from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. University Boulevard will be closed. The project includes a fence along the west side of University Boulevard between South Fourth and South 16th streets that matches the Reiman Garden fence and compels fans to use the designated crossing sites. To promote year-round use of the pedestrian bridge, the project also includes a sidewalk outside the northeast corner of the stadium, hugging the hillside, that connects the north plaza area to the bridge.

Iowa State Center northwest lot (Lots B1, F)​

This project is expanding the parking areas north of the Scheman Building and west of Fisher Theater. About 325 stalls -- roughly 10% of them ADA compliant -- will be added to the 150 stalls provided in the two former lots, more than tripling the parking in this area of the Iowa State Center. The surface will be asphalt with concrete curb and gutter. The west half of the lawn between Fisher and Stephens Auditorium will be converted to a drop-off area, and the Beach Avenue exit will move south to align with Sunset Drive. The project includes additional sidewalks and lighting and two 60-by-100-foot underground stormwater detention basins. Despite a wet April, the project remains on schedule for completion in early August. Athletics department funds will cover the $5.55 million cost.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
To add to it, other projects on campus. Some small discussion about the RV lot

New RV location for football fans​

"...12-foot-wide pedestrian bridge over Worle Creek, at the south end of the RV lot, to provide safe stadium access to fans who park in lots near the Veterinary Medicine college ..."

Does anyone know if there is a timeline on paving the grass area below. I believe this will be the new commuter lot.

1653575391843.png

TKlone3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 24, 2011
Council Bluffs
Just wanted to say a big thank you to you locals around Ames for providing us out of towners with pics of these projects. These are things I really enjoy and its great to see the progress. So thank you again for taking the time to share these with us.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Does anyone know if there is a timeline on paving the grass area below. I believe this will be the new commuter lot.

View attachment 99102

Probably not until after S. 16th is widened to 4 lanes through there, and they get a permanent stoplight at S. Riverside.

Both of those items are in the City of Ames CIP, with tentative completion in FY25:

This project includes widening South 16th Street to four lanes from University Boulevard to Apple Place with auxiliary lanes and traffic control improvements at Christensen Drive & South Riverside Drive (both into Vet Med), culvert extension at Worrell Creek, and an improved multi-use path along the corridor.

The proposed project would include:
• Reconstruction of the existing roadway and multi-use trail segment from University Boulevard to the Vet Med trail
• Evaluate raising South 16th Street above the 100-year flood elevation
• Widen the segment of South 16th Street to four lanes consistent with South 16th Street east to South Duff Avenue
• Bike facilities in this project will include the extension of the shared use path along north side of S. 16th Street to University Boulevard ($378,250)
• Add traffic control signals at South Riverside Drive

Identified benefits of the project include:
• Completes the minor arterial linkage from University Boulevard to South Duff Avenue with consistent lane configuration, adequate capacity, and improved safety
• Improves route resiliency during flood events
• Removes bottlenecks at Christensen Drive and South Riverside Drive, improving safety for turning traffic and corridor progression
• Improves efficiency of CyRide bus routes with improved corridor progression and possible bus turnouts at high ridership locations
• Improves pedestrian capacity & safety by separating the multi-use trail from the roadway edge.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I haven't lived in Ames since the mid 2010's.. But back then there was absolutely no need to expand 16th to 4 lanes...

Is there enough daily traffic to support that? Or is the City of Ames just being dumb with taxpayer dollars? Pressure from ISU?

cy4state

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2017
Nevada, IA
I haven't lived in Ames since the mid 2010's.. But back then there was absolutely no need to expand 16th to 4 lanes...

Is there enough daily traffic to support that? Or is the City of Ames just being dumb with taxpayer dollars? Pressure from ISU?
With Grand now going to to 16th, it has increased traffic. I'm guessing it's a combination of that and gameday traffic.